• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Jack TV Reaches Crowdfunding Goal for Anime Sols DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
I would suggest to everyone who did contribute to retweet Anime Sols twitter, tell friends about it, and if you have blogs and tumblr, definitely put the word out. Anime Sols only started this year, it might take a while for the name to really get out there.

I know Anime Sols probably got alot of help from the tumblr community simply because us fans kept reblogging and letting people know every day.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Chevi wrote:
I would suggest to everyone who did contribute to retweet Anime Sols twitter, tell friends about it, and if you have blogs and tumblr, definitely put the word out. Anime Sols only started this year, it might take a while for the name to really get out there.

I know Anime Sols probably got alot of help from the tumblr community simply because us fans kept reblogging and letting people know every day.

I can tell you that referrals from tumblr equaled or surpassed facebook.
Twitter was the biggest social media linker, and of course ANN and Crunchyroll's articles helped a lot.

We also had a ton of just direct links, so either the name was easy to type in or people would email other links.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Wow! Talk about a sprint! Congratulations to everyone.
I was debating it, but I'm glad I got my pledge in too

samuelp wrote:
Since i have people's attention here, how important would it be to people to get the new OVAs (11-12) dubbed for a complete set?

Would you not buy it if 11-12 were sub only but the dub for 1-10 was included?

Personally I don't mind.

How about an initial goal then a stretch goal for the last 2 OVAs dub?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

samuelp wrote:
Since i have people's attention here, how important would it be to people to get the new OVAs (11-12) dubbed for a complete set?

Personally I don't mind.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
There's already an English dub of Black Jack TV from Animax Asia, but I doubt it'll be on the Anime Sols DVDs.

Yeah, what's the deal with the Animax dubs, I wonder if they can be included or not? They're very likely not edited, so there shouldn't be any undue editing requirements for the soundtracks, etc., unlike say the Ninja Robots dub compared to the original Tobikage episodes.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
configspace wrote:

samuelp wrote:

Personally I don't mind.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Interesting; Anime Sols hasn't used stretch goals before. Well, I guess there was nothing to stretch.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Bilingual is always better than just one language track.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
agila61 wrote:
... One thing that will be interesting to see is whether sales of the unpledged-for part of the DVD production run of 1,000 units will (1) attract new pledgers in for the follow-up sets and (2) generate funds to help reduce the box set targets below the intrinsic saving of one-time start up costs for each series, which are covered by the first set in a series that makes its launch target.

Because of the time it will take for production itself, revenue from disc sales of Set 1 will probably only factor into Set 3... unless we get pre-orders or promises of wholesale stock from retailers.

Set 3 could still be good, if there turns out to be a pledge fatigue factor ... hopefully your "What is AnimeSols?" flyer insert into the Set 1 taps into part of the market for the title that watches Amazon and Rightstuf for new titles but are hard to reach by other channels ... but most of that would be in the first month or two after the set hits those channels.

A target for Set 3 that steps down from whatever the target is for Set 2 could be quite handy.

EDIT: I also hope that with the two releases, AnimeSols will be able to look at which countries do not have entangling legacy rights for those two, and get streaming on Crunchyroll which is not limited to North America only. UK/Eire, Scandinavia, Australia/NZ and Latin America are the sources of the most regular complaints that North American home video distributor catalog titles are typically North American only.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I could most definitely go for that.

And I echo the sentiment of the other posters who want Kirk Thornton back.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. I'm really pleased about this. Though be interesting to see the older B & W series one day get an acquisition like what happened with the original Astro Boy.

There's quite a few classic rare shows like Vampire, it was one of Tezuka's TV series that was a combination of live-action and animation. It's definitely one that is worth checking out and one that old school collectors would like to see get a release. Just throwing that out there. Wink
Pamachu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
There's quite a few classic rare shows like Vampire, it was one of Tezuka's TV series that was a combination of live-action and animation. It's definitely one that is worth checking out and one that old school collectors would like to see get a release. Just throwing that out there. Wink

Oh man. I would love to see Vampire get an official release, although I suspect it would be commercial suicide to put it out. It's such a bizarre and excessively campy experiment, almost as if 1960's Batman had a baby with a Ralph Bakshi movie. I've only seen the first five (untranslated) episodes... and wowza. It's nuts.

I am pretty darn happy to see Black Jack make it to the finish line and can't wait to purchase a copy of my own (all of my donation funds went to the Tezuka film trilogy which, alas, did not make it). I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next. I'm plenty excited about the prospect of finally getting the Black Jack OAVs on DVD, but would also love to see some of Tatsunoko's collaborations with other studios, particularly Blue Comet SPT Layzner (Sunrise) and Panzer World Galient (Nippon). Not sure if their partnership with Tatsunoko extends that far though. I'd also pay top dollar for the Animerama Trilogy, but that's... never going to happen.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I don't much care for dubs in general so I would pledge for the set either way.

Pamachu wrote:
I am pretty darn happy to see Black Jack make it to the finish line and can't wait to purchase a copy of my own (all of my donation funds went to the Tezuka film trilogy which, alas, did not make it).

You still get charged for crowdfunds that don't meet their goals? Wha? O_O
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
Karasuhebi wrote:

Pamachu wrote:
I am pretty darn happy to see Black Jack make it to the finish line and can't wait to purchase a copy of my own (all of my donation funds went to the Tezuka film trilogy which, alas, did not make it).

No, you don't. I'm not sure why he didn't pledge for Black Jack once his pledges for the films were cancelled...

Just to be crystal clear, no one is charged a cent unless the goals are met.
Pamachu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Karasuhebi wrote:

Pamachu wrote:

No, you don't. I'm not sure why he didn't pledge for Black Jack once his pledges for the films were cancelled...

Just to be crystal clear, no one is charged a cent unless the goals are met.

What samuelp said.

Sorry that was unclear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3