• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A New Attendee's Questions About Otakon 2013

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I will be attending my first Otakon, which is also my first convention, next week. I’m a little nervous as it’s a new experience and I’m about as adaptable as a rabbit. (This is the only way in which I am like a rabbit)

I know that other members here have attended before, so I would like to put some questions too you. I’m not too naïve and I’ve read their newbie’s guide, so I won’t be walking aimless and unready into a lion’s den, but I thought that the personal experience of members here might be more useful.

(I notice that there’s another Otakon 2013 thread; but that seems to have a different purpose, but I can hardly complain if the moderator’s see fit to merge them)

1. Where should I eat? I expect the food at the convention center to be below-average and available only at the end of a long line for more than I would pay under reasonable circumstances. There also seems to be a paucity of restaurants very near the convention center. I can get breakfast at my hotel and I expect to be able to slip away to an eatery for dinner in the evening, but lunch seems like a quandary. I wonder if there’s any good pit beef to be had down town. (I’m considering a sojourn to Lexington Market)

2. How far in advance should I go to panels? I suspect that the answer for this will vary by panel. I know that I want to attend Shinichirō Watanabe’s panel and Masao Maruyama’s panels, but those are all that I’m certain of. I understand that Japanese guests usually get smaller crowds than they deserve (although perhaps not Mr. Watanabe). I know that I will attend some fan panels (I need to get my Mike Toole on), but I doubt that I’ll attend any voice actor panels (either language). I expect the Yōko Kanno concert to be mobbed, but there’s no way that I’m missing that, even if need a battering ram.

3. What can I expect to find, good and bad, in the dealer’s room? I have this impression, which isn’t to say that I necessarily believe it, that things that are hard to find or obscure can be had in the dealer’s room. That’s alluring, but in the internet age, I’m not sure that it makes sense. Suffice it say, I’m really not sure what I should expect to find or be looking for. I’m also not sure about what illicit or fraudulent goods, besides bootlegs, I should be wary of. (I don’t really buy a lot of things that people would want to fake, so this isn’t a great concern)

4. Is there anything cool or interesting that attendees tend to overlook? I assume that just how cool a panel is or how interesting a stock any given dealer has isn’t entirely evident from the official or readily available materials. I wouldn’t be half surprised if there’re one or two things that just don’t get much official notice. I hardly need to have some totally secret, super-awesome indie underground Otakon experience, but I wouldn’t want to miss anything just because I didn’t notice that it existed.

5. What should I watch out for? I know about the stupid games, like Marco Polo, and the natural risk of theft entailed by a large crowd. I’m also aware of the need to show some care walking around the center of an old northeastern city at night. Those, however, are obvious nuisances and dangers. What’s most frustrating would be to be caught by something that I had no idea was a problem or that was too obvious for me to think of.

I imagine that I could contrive more questions and perhaps I shall in the days to come, but those are the ones that are at the front of my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
1. I'd recommend the Paper Moon Diner for breakfast or lunch, it has just about the strangest decor you'll ever find and the food is excellent. Very kitschy, very Baltimore. You should also definitely check out the Inner Harbor, but you probably shouldn't eat anywhere near there, everything there is bland and expensive.

2. If it's an ordinary panel, just show up when it starts. If there's a celebrity or anime studio involved, I'd show up at least an hour before it starts, if not two.

3. Otakon should have a pretty large dealer room, so...lots of stuff? I don't buy a whole lot in dealers' rooms, so my expertise here is lacking.

4. Room parties; just roam a hotel at night, act confident and extroverted (especially if you're in costume), and you'll find a new group of friends with interesting beverages to sample in no time. Also, the Anime and Manga Studies panel I'm on. Smile

5. If there's a certain fandom you don't like, they may be at Otakon. Be nice.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
1. The Inner Harbor is close by, so there are a lot of places to eat within walking distance of Otakon -- however, be prepared for long wait-times at many of them. And yes, there is a larger selection outside of the immediate con area, so if you set aside the time and are really focused on getting a good meal, then a trip to a place like Lexington Market would be your best bet.

2. You're right, the Japanese industry guest panels are often sparsely populated. Masao Maruyama's panels are always half-empty, and while Watanabe's should be more popular, I don't think it will fill up. If you want to be on the safe side then just show up 30 minutes in advance.

For fan panels, those with titles including words like 'The Craziest', 'The Best', The Worst', 'Of All-Time' or anything of a similar ilk will be extremely popular, and you should show up to said panels at least an hour beforehand if you want any chance at getting a seat. English voice actor panels are also very popular, same for panels from the big distributors like Funimation, and general geek panels (like video games) as well.

As for the concerts, they're held in an arena that can hold several thousands, so you will be guaranteed a seat no matter when you show up. You should only be worried if you want front-row seats or close to it. In that case, get in line a few hours earlier. EDIT: The Yoko Kanno Sunday Concert will not be in the Arena but in the Convention Center's Main Events (Hall D). Show up well in advance.

3. The dealer's room doesn't really offer anything different from an online retailer like Rightstuf. Every once in a while you'll find something that's OOP or heavily discounted, but for the most part, all the anime dealers are selling similar things, and at regular retail price. BTW, there is a huge line to get in the dealer's room on Friday and Saturday mornings. Do not get in it, it is not worth it. Just wait til later in the day and you'll be able to waltz right in.

4. I'd just say the panels done by people like Mike Toole and Daryl Surat, but you already seem privy to that. The ANN-Cast panel should also be worthwhile, and I've heard very good things about Mystery Anime Theater 3000.

5. I would just spend some time prior to the con studying the layout of the Baltimore Convention Center and where everything is located. The Convention Center can be intimidating/confusing as a first-timer, and I know that I wasted a lot of time my first time trying to figure out how to get to where I wanted. Don't miss something just because you can't find the right escalator or because you didn't know that that there are panel rooms in the Hilton Hotel (which is connected to the Convention Center).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
I've never been to Otakon, and I don't attend East Coast conventions very often (actually it's been 12 years since my last one), but I have a general suggestion for attending large conventions: Go to as many guest panels as you can possibly squeeze in a weekend, even for guests you are not familiar with (especially Japanese ones). There's nothing like the frustration of becoming a fan of a certain artist or seiyuu and then realizing you didn't go see them at a convention you were at in the past. I just get lots of enjoyment about guests of honor talking about their experiences and expressing their love for being a part of bringing anime to fans.

To make this easier, take a look at the Programming Schedule before you leave for your trip and highlight all the panels you are interested in and ones featuring guests. Then use that as your itinerary for each day of the con where to go and when.

Also the only video screenings you should watch are World Premieres and ones presented by guests of honor. Otherwise NEVER spend any time in the video rooms at a convention, you can watch anime at home, why watch it at a convention?

Have fun!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
This is my 7th so I hope I can help!

1. Where should I eat?

There are really a lot of places. I wish I could remember everything. Around the harbor is tons of stuff to eat. There is a mall across from the Harbor that has a food court. There is stuff outside the convention center. I think just walking around you will find stuff. The major thing is everywhere is going to be crowded.

2. How far in advance should I go to panels?

Honestly very few panels don't full up even one's that you wouldn't think would. My best advice is try to line up when the previous panel is starting.

Of course keep in mind that often panels don't have room clears so some people might be staying in a previous panel to go to the next one. You can always opt to do this as well.

I'll be lining up for the Yoko Kanno concert as early as possible. I don't think Otakon planned the location for this very well and I think there will be a higher demand than seats available.

3. What can I expect to find, good and bad, in the dealer’s room?

Yep the dealer room has really lost its allure for me over the years. I still go because it is fun to walk around it but you can find most things they sell cheaper on the Internet.

Sometimes I think there are good manga sales but I have never bought manga there.

Sunday prices are often marked down a bit.

4. Is there anything cool or interesting that attendees tend to overlook?

Probably can't help much with this because I do enjoy the industry and Japanese guests the most and that is definitely not over looked.

I guess I would say don't be shy about starting up a conversation in line. I've always met a lot of nice people that way. After all you are in the same line because you have the same interests. It also helps pass the time. There are lot of fun things to do at Otakon but expect to wait in lines a lot.

5. What should I watch out for?

I don't know nothing really. Yeah some kids and teens can get a bit rambunctious. Many people see Otakon as one big party. You are going to have cosplayers blocking you in the hall but it is nothing detrimental to the overall experience.

edit: Oh one thing if you have a smart phone or an Ipod or anything where you can get apps download the guidebook App. It's not up yet but Otakon will have the schedule on there and it is the most amazing and helpful thing ever. It also includes maps of the convention center.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Addressing #3) Depends on how much money you are planning to spend. I see dealer's rooms as a place to splurge and have fun doing it. But I also go into it pretty much knowing exactly what I'm looking for and want to buy.

Like at AX my primary targets were:
1) A long grey wig
2) A shinai
3) A Noizi Ito artbook
4) A huke artbook
5) A Dixie Flatline CD + other Vocaloid CDs by producers I like
6) A Mami figurine featuring character designs by Yuupon.

For the most part I hit all my targets but I ended up with a few alterations, like the huke artbook ended up being a Robotics;Notes artbook because at the last minute I predicted that I wasn't going to be able to get huke's autograph. And I did end up getting my Robotics;Notes artbook signed (not by huke though).

So basically because AX has so many guests the moral of the story is all my convention activities: Dealer Room;Panels;Autograph Sessions, etc. are all linked to each other by some sort of common thread. And if one thread falls apart I find a way bridge it another way, or I improvise, by being observant.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate all of the replies. They've been helpful. I'm quite excited, but slightly nervous.

I've also found after reviewing the schedule of events that there are no panels that really appeal to me before Mike Toole's Outsider Anime panel at 1:45 PM. While I appreciate that I'll have plenty of time for lunch an perhaps a chance to relieve some of my childhood by visiting the National Aquarium in the morning, that feels like a waste. Are there any panels earlier in the day that might be worth my time?

Brent Allison wrote:
1. I'd recommend the Paper Moon Diner for breakfast or lunch, it has just about the strangest decor you'll ever find and the food is excellent. Very kitschy, very Baltimore.

That's very appealing, but I'm staying downtown at the Hotel Monaco (It was the Lord Baltimore, but I get moved due to renovations) and not keen to roam further than I can get in reasonable time (say, about a mile) on foot. (I'm not averse to public transit at all, I don't even own a car, but getting to know a new city's system takes time... you get to get close, make sure it feels comfortable; maybe cuddle afterward)

Brent Allison wrote:
4. Room parties; just roam a hotel at night, act confident and extroverted (especially if you're in costume)...

So... be completely the opposite of who I am... that might be an interesting experience, but there's an implementation problem.

Brent Allison wrote:
5. If there's a certain fandom you don't like, they may be at Otakon. Be nice.

This feels like as apt a time as any to emphasize that although I have a beard and wear a fedora, I am *not*, I repeat *NOT* a Brony. (I've never even see an episode of the show)

ShaolinWolf wrote:
BTW, there is a huge line to get in the dealer's room on Friday and Saturday mornings. Do not get in it, it is not worth it. Just wait til later in the day and you'll be able to waltz right in.

I probably would've been caught off guard by that. Thank you for warning me.

It might be moot, the more I think about it, the less alluring the dealer's room seems. I suppose that I won't be finding that complete set of Basara for $15. (Of course, if such a thing existed, it would be snapped up in an instant after a several rounds of savage, bloody duels to the death)

Past wrote:
To make this easier, take a look at the Programming Schedule before you leave for your trip and highlight all the panels you are interested in and ones featuring guests. Then use that as your itinerary for each day of the con where to go and when.

I've already developed three draft itineraries. I keep reconsidering how long I'll need to allow for waiting in lines and changing my mind on a small handful of panels.

Past wrote:
Also the only video screenings you should watch are World Premieres and ones presented by guests of honor. Otherwise NEVER spend any time in the video rooms at a convention, you can watch anime at home, why watch it at a convention?

To my frustration, the only thing that I wanted to see is the Anime Mirai shorts, but it's not really compatible with the panels that I want to see.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I'll be lining up for the Yoko Kanno concert as early as possible. I don't think Otakon planned the location for this very well and I think there will be a higher demand than seats available.

I've gathered the impression that they haven't given that the space it needs. *Ugh* Sunday is going to be rough. Fortunately there's nothing else on Sunday that I'm especially interested in, so I have all morning... to stand in line.

Damn. I knew that I should've bought a flask.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
4. Is there anything cool or interesting that attendees tend to overlook?

Probably can't help much with this because I do enjoy the industry and Japanese guests the most and that is definitely not over looked.

Are there any whom you'd recommend beyond Masao Maruyama and Shinichirō Watanabe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This is only my second Otakon, but this will be my 13th convention overall, and that's comprise of Anime Expo, Otakon, and Anime Boston. So, all large conventions. Anime Boston is the smallest of them, and it was already at almost 10,000 people when I first attended it in 2006. So, while every convention is different, the big conventions largely skew the same.

I can't answer your first question, because I've only been to Otakon once. I don't know any secret cheap places in Baltimore, and I'd never dare venture out of the Inner Harbor which is designed to part tourists from their money. It's probably about all the same when you're there. Just make sure you give yourself time, because if you go during the normal lunch and dinner hours, every place is going to be packed.

As for #2, I'll confirm that for your average fan panel (and use the Guidebook app if you have a smartphone because Otakon helpfully lists what kind of person is running the panel) you can just walk right in. It wouldn't hurt to familiarize yourself with the size of the panel rooms too. Smaller rooms, which I do believe are the higher numbered rooms, are obviously more likely to fill up faster, but they are put in those rooms because there's less of an expected demand. Those kind of panels will usually be listed as (F). Now for fan panels that Otakon knows gets big responses, like your Mike Tooles and your Daryl Surats, they get the designation of (F+). Those you'll want to line up for about an hour in advance if you can, or else you take your chances. They'll be in bigger rooms, but we're fighting over 15,000 people at any given time (Otakon draws well over 30,000 unique visitors, but I'm just saying I figures 15k in the convention center at a given time is pretty normal) so you have to be prepared for that. Industry panels can be hit or miss. And like you guessed, Japanese guests are sadly under attended. Shinichiro Watanabe will likely be a big draw, but Masao Maruyama won't be because he's at every Otakon, so in that particular instance I can say with a fair amount of confidence that you don't have to line up too early.

3. Don't expect any real deals in the Dealers Room. If you're looking for a certain DVD or manga that's been out of print for many years and you can't find it online for a reasonable price, don't expect to find it in the dealer's room at all. I'll take this time to say that if you, or anyone else, happens to find a copy of Galaxy Angel Rune vol. 4, I will gladly pay you a generous finders fee, so buy it for me. That said, most all dealers in the room know exactly what things are going for online, so your odds of finding amazing deals are pretty slim. You'd do better shopping at your local comic shop and hoping they're not keeping up to date on what things go for.

4. Again, lack of Otakon experience, so I myself don't know all the cool stuff. Your best bet is, if it sounds interesting, go for it. Remember, you can always leave any panel you want at any time. Don't feel like you have to stay through an entire panel if it turns out to be something you didn't think it would be. The presenters should not be offended if people walk out midway though (so long as you just leave without making a scene of course. This isn't the internet after all) so don't feel bad about it either.

5. Watch out for the homeless and other scammers. They're lazy, but not stupid. They know that when there's over 30,000 people, they'll be able to guilt or trick enough people out of their money to make plenty. I have nothing more than pure disdain and disgust for people who do nothing more than sit on their ass and hold out their hand. They should all die, and I hope no one ever gets guilted into giving them a single penny. Really, the cops should be arresting these people and throwing them in the harbor.

Ok, I'm done with #5. Sorry, that's a personal vendetta. Just giving you fair warning.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I would like to thank everybody who answered this thread. Many of the answers were helpful. I had, for the most part, a really good time and most of what was unsatisfactory could be attributed to the hard lessons of inexperience and the fact that we have bad luck sometimes. I've already decided that I will return next year.

It was a little peculiar being in a place where a beard and a power blue fedora made me one of the least conspicuous people in the room. I felt like I stood out more for not having a 3DS or smartphone. (Seriously, in every line, it seemed like half of the people had a 3DS out)

I only met one forum member directly, but I'm quite sure that I was in the room with a few of you. I'm particularly certain that this was true of the Vertical and ANNCast Live panels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1