• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times on Xenophobic Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
To W-General,

Your opinion is a typical and representative one by most people on the island. However, there's something I'd like to clarify (in my way; I know that you might not agree) to other ANNers who knows little about the disputes:

W-General wrote:
Ethnically, Taiwanese people are Chinese, just like white Americans are the same as British people - Anglo-Saxon Caucasians.

Prepare for an independence war, then. And don't expect the UN or USA will intervene like they did for Kuwait; two names: Chechnya and Eritrea. Judging from your old post, I assume you have not yet served for the country before going overseas. Wanna tell everyone about your trick?

Plus, like mlund said, don't generalize white Americans as WASP.

W-General wrote:
President Chen has every right to be the official President of the Republic of China on Taiwan

Only if he didn't trick the general public with two bullets, along with many questionable ballots.

W-General wrote:
I believe that President Bush finally said something with truth when he bluntly told China to democratize by modeling itself after Taiwan...

Is it a good model anymore? Wink

W-General wrote:
That is not true. Taiwan enjoys full press freedom.

Have you been bullied for your political view? I have. Peer pressure (even among children) for political ideals is a dangerous sign of mind controls, for it is much less evident and can have a long term effect.

W-General wrote:
You know what's suppression of free speech? China and Hong Kong.

The best mind controller does not arrest people. He "educates" his citizen and press what is appropriate and what is not, without written evidence. That is, in my not-so-humble opinion, far worse than controlling speech by arresting, for the citizen have lost the ability to think different from what the government wants them think of. The government uses "people's power" to eradicate potential political threats, without using army, police, secret police, etc.

Final words: I would never call a political regime which hires an assassin as a presidential advisor a "democratic" one. Never.

This topic is completely off-track. If you really find it necessary to continue (I don't), PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Only the opposition and its supporters believe that the assassination attempt was made by those in power. It is only a THEORY. There is no solid evidence to back it up. Until you can prove something with evidence it is just a "guess," a "theory," a "conjecture," or even...slander. Until there is evidence, you and KMT's theory of the "trick" is no more true than "The CIA murdered President Kennedy" - there's no solid backing.

This mindset vividly reminds me of the Al Gore and the 2000 election....except even Al Gore and his supporters are more open minded than the KMT and its supporters. I still don't understand how anyone can build a vast majority of their political belief on mere 'guesses' and 'conjectures.' Let's face it, the opposition wants to believe in their little fantasy because they (including you) are still living in denial. "My candidate was the best! How could he have lost! There no way that should happen! I know, Chen must've used a TRICK! That's it! It's all his fault that we lost!" The opposition can be so full of themselves...
---
"Have you been bullied for your political view? I have. Peer pressure (even among children) for political ideals is a dangerous sign of mind controls, for it is much less evident and can have a long term effect."

I'm sure elsewhere in Taiwan, there are pro-China supporters bullying pro-Taiwan supporters.
---
I do not support "independence"
I only support self determination without armed coercion from outside forces. (If one day, the Taiwanese people, without an armed threat from China, votes to unify, I can happily live with that.) That cannot be achieved right now, because China is using armed forces to scare the people of Taiwan.

Let's do a case study. A robber is trying to rob a bank. He points the gun at the innocent bank clerk and says, "DON'T MOVE! I'LL SHOOT IF YOU DO"

Who's the evil one? Who's the bad guy? Obviously the robber. The bank clerk shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense had the robber not tried to rob the bank in the first place. The bank clerk obviously wants to 'move,' but he can't do that only because he's under threat. The CCP is just like the robber...
---
Yes Taiwan is still the best model. Where else should China look to? After all, the 'government' (PRC government and ROC government) both originated from the same place, yet one has already made its transformation, and the other is still resisting liberty and freedom.
---
"The best mind controller does not arrest people. He 'educates' his citizen and press what is appropriate and what is not, without written evidence. That is, in my not-so-humble opinion, far worse than controlling speech by arresting, for the citizen have lost the ability to think different from what the government wants them think of. The government uses 'people's power' to eradicate potential political threats, without using army, police, secret police, etc. "

Oh yes. I totally agree. China brainwashes its citizens so effectively that people are happy to live under such an oppressive regime as long as they are satisfied materially, and even rallies behind when the CCP brings up an outside 'threat' such as Japan. Using your logic, yes, the CCP is the worst.

--
I agree about not generalizing American as WASP. I should've clarified the comparison I'm trying to make, as in, the similarities between the founding fathers of America and the Hokken immigrants to Taiwan. (I did not mean the population that makes up America today)
--

FINAL WORD: Any accusation without evidence is 'conjecture' and 'theory.' And those who use it as an EXCUSE for having lost, are what I consider 'Sore Losers.'

I do not plan to continue on this topic after this post...
(I only posted this because people need to understand that some of the opposition's accusations are merely guesswork and conjectures without ANY form of backing)
Tsukoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Does mean that Japan, Korea, China and all those other countries think of India and some of those other countries surrounding India like Pakistan inferior or not "Asian"?
astra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
Tu quoque?
We're not discussing the government of China and Taiwan. They have their own problems and human rights violations. But Japan still has alot to answer for.
Unit 731 was one of the worst atrocities committed by the Japanese. Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
In short, Japanese conservatives who continue to deny that events like these happened are exactly like people who claim there was no Holocaust. Its just incredibly shocking that it is accepted so readily in Japan and that in a supposedly democratic nation there is such an active effort to censor and distort the truth. Its true that this happens in other places of the world as well but that does not excuse Japan. Horror of such a massive scale should not be denied or it will only happen again.
I do think the US deserves some of the blame for this though. The leaders in Unit 731 were not prosecuted in exchange for their information found in their gruesome studies. The US cared more about the arms race with the Soviet Union than prosecuting war crimes. In addition, the Soviet Union was not allowed to participate in post-war Japan. The people who committed crimes on the level of Auschwitz now occupy top positions in the nation's medical and science schools.
Though some consider it rather corny, I thought the movie Judgement at Nuremberg was an interesting take on the process of trying war crimes. In the movie, the American judge of former Nazi judges rules that despite the fact that America wants Germany's help in fighting the Soviets, war crimes should be punished because there is a higher principle to adhere to. If Japanese atrocities were never punished, why should the people feel any remorse? In fact, they seem to feel it was justified, judging from the manga. The United States deserves some blame for bungling the handling of post war Japan but the Japanese themselves must, like the Germans, look beyond their nationalistic sentiments and see a higher moral principle.
Oh, and do I get credit for being the first to post the article? Do I need to grumble some more?
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
heyyu wrote:
LordRobin wrote:
The type of xenophobic hate-filled attitude described in the article is the last thing I want to see from a country that may shortly have to make some hard decisions about its future.

------RM

Interesting, because if you switch out a few words and phrases, you could be saying the same thing about America.

I wondered if I should even respond to this. On the one hand, you're 100% right. On the other, the point is 100% irrelevant. I guess being an American, I can't criticize other countries? How about if I mention I voted for Kerry? May I criticize Japan now?

As for the "zombie company" crisis, it's very real. A quick Google will reveal plenty of links. Here's one.

------RM
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
For some reason this talk reminds me of First President of Japan. One of the few Raijin Comics that actually ended it run.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there's a sequel to First President, but he's the second president. :)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
You know what worries me? Some reports peg Japan as being on the verge of total economic collapse, as a country in complete denial about its true economic state. Banks hold obscene amounts of uncollectable debt from what have been called "zombie companies" -- businesses that remain active only because the banks haven't demanded payment. The banks refuse to collect because it's not the Japanese way. Their customers would lose face, and so would the bank, for having been so foolish to give the credit in the first place. So they continue along in a state of denial, pretending that the debtors will all make good some day.

But this can't continue forever. Eventually, one of these banks will collapse. When that happens, others could start falling like dominoes and Japan could be in a depression practically overnight. The Japanese government understands this and has been trying to head off the crisis legislatively -- last I heard, with little success.

The type of xenophobic hate-filled attitude described in the article is the last thing I want to see from a country that may shortly have to make some hard decisions about its future.

------RM
If this is the case then why has the Nikkei recently shown it's best rally of gains not seen in the past 5 years?
This NYT article is a bit xenophobic in itself really. Now we all know that manga has a wide scope of genre in demography, sexuallity, and also politically too. The Japan correspondant to the NYT finds a right wing manga and right away he visuallises Japanese Zeros buzzing over Soul and Beijing. Rolling Eyes
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This is depressing. A lot of the nose-rubbing goes back so far, sometimes even beyond the lives of many of the citizens in those countries. But I think I can understand the fact that the "peace" isn't going to happen with this manga fueling hatred towards the mainland, and the mainland shooting hatred back. So I have a question - where do many of the teens stand in countries such as Korea, China, Taiwan, Singapore, the Phillipines etc? Since the roots of the conflict go way back to times like WWII, are they biased against the other countries? I would think (albeit rather naively), that the popularity of manga in certain areas wouldn't have teenagers going "down with Japan" or something of the like in, say, China or Korea. I just want a clearer picture of happenings over there, that's all.

And as for the comment about Chinese food being the only good thing about China...gee, I wonder where Kanji comes from?
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me what context these mangas are in? Are they meant to be taken seriously, or are they satire of sorts? The article doesn't touch on this, and I'd like to know if the messages of these mangas have been misinterpreted in some way.
Baal Zebul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like anime and manga, I wish both countries could just shut up and get along already! Both of them have great artists that should work together to make great stuff, not try to insult the other over events long ago. We should look towards the future and try to forgive the past, not obssess over it. Really, I want to see Kim Hyung Tae do some manga with Kazuma Kaneko Sad .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Can anyone tell me what context these mangas are in? Are they meant to be taken seriously, or are they satire of sorts? The article doesn't touch on this, and I'd like to know if the messages of these mangas have been misinterpreted in some way.
I'm quite certain this manga is quite serious about its theme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3