• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Moshidora

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is that Drucker is particularly revered in Japan. I'm sure I remember him being mentioned in David Halberstam's (God, do I miss him) excellent book The Reckoning (which traced the fortunes of Ford and Nissan as a way of comparing differences between American and Japanese industrial concerns).
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My understanding is that Drucker is particularly revered in Japan. I'm sure I remember him being mentioned in David Halberstam's (God, do I miss him) excellent book The Reckoning (which traced the fortunes of Ford and Nissan as a way of comparing differences between American and Japanese industrial concerns).

Yeah, him and Edwards Deming, who I remember studying in one class. He was ignored by Detroit for the most part of his life but as wikipedia mentions:
Quote:
Deming made a significant contribution to Japan's later reputation for innovative high-quality products and its economic power. He is regarded as having had more impact upon Japanese manufacturing and business than any other individual not of Japanese heritage. Despite being considered something of a hero in Japan, he was only just beginning to win widespread recognition in the U.S. at the time of his death.[2]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
this anime is very good. But again, it won;t work for US viewers. Sports anime are not popular. Business topic is not popular too.
We need someone with gut an money to bring this to US.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Moshidora, as did my son, who is 16 now. He actually brings up Moshidora occasionally when we are talking about baseball still. It was a fun concept with a bit of tragedy to complicate things and a very good main character. I will probably watch it again sometime soon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

It's a slight shame that it wasn't streamed over here. I'd kind of like to see how people would react.

Weird too since they had such high expectations for it due to the book phenomenon.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
I think i only started to watch this back then because i missed Oofuri...it actually turned out to be more entertaining than expected, even though the DRAMA at the end was a bit overdone.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
I will definitely rewatch this eventually. It was fun to watch, and I really liked the drama at the end. I even liked the minimal artistry. Still I never expected it to turn up at this site, what a surprise.

Also proves Good Game is the best group.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I think i only started to watch this back then because i missed Oofuri...it actually turned out to be more entertaining than expected, even though the DRAMA at the end was a bit overdone.

I'll admit that it was a bit overdone, but it was effective. I shed a tear or two...

I really liked the coaches "no bunt/no ball" strategy. My son was saying it seems very similar to the style of play that the St. Louis Cardinals are using under manager Mike Metheny (though I doubt that he will never use the intentional pass...)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
I am really looking forward to the day when the interest created by one of these "Pile Of Shame" entries leads to an obscure title like this one getting licensed for legitimate streaming (or, heaven forbid, physical media).
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
If Area no kiSHIT got a simulcast I don't see why this couldn't.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I am really looking forward to the day when the interest created by one of these "Pile Of Shame" entries leads to an obscure title like this one getting licensed for legitimate streaming (or, heaven forbid, physical media).

Well, Buried Treasure (& even one Buried Garbage) has ended up becoming a seeming list of titles that have since been license rescued... So Pile of Shame resulting in some looked-over titles of the past getting picked up could very well happen.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! It was really interesting to me. I wish sports anime was more popular in the west. I just wrote an essay on the impact of sports anime, and I felt really bad for not including this. There's just SO much to cover and I haven't seen the show yet.
Interestingly enough, one of my other teachers told me not to focus on anime and mention some live action movies too, but I could only find the movie based on Moshidora (and Touch).
I watched a bit of Taisho Baseball girls, but there wasn't really much to write about. Most of the essay was spent on Hajime no Ippo, Aim for the Ace, Hikaru no Go, and Chihayafuru.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Touch, I noticed that one of the difficult teams that Hodokubo plays against is Meisei, the team from Touch. Are any of their other opponents the protagonist team from classic baseball anime? Or was that just coincidence?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2