• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix Trailer Features Updates on Final Mix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
The only release between KH and KH2 was Chain of Memories, for the GBA. It was important to the story, but I heard from a lot of friends who never played it that they still understood what happened between the games. I can't remembre, but isn't there a summary of some kind in KHII?

I remember being kind of frustrated with KH2, because it felt like I wasn't getting the full story.

Then again I beat it once in like 2006 so I could be wrong.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
The only release between KH and KH2 was Chain of Memories, for the GBA. It was important to the story, but I heard from a lot of friends who never played it that they still understood what happened between the games. I can't remembre, but isn't there a summary of some kind in KHII?

I remember being kind of frustrated with KH2, because it felt like I wasn't getting the full story.

Then again I beat it once in like 2006 so I could be wrong.

Well, even if you get a summary of some kind in the game, the fact that the characters wake up out of some pod thing has got to make you double-take and think, "What the heck did I miss!?"
At least you'll get it when you play it in this HD collection.

Oh, and another note: The Final Mix stuff is... quite awesome. I found it harder to collect all the materials for synching, but that was thanks to a variety of new, quirky (and I mean quirky) enemies that require you fulfill requirements of some kind to get their items. So you may not even be able to complete even the first set of sync items until much later in the game.
And then there's the new boss, "Unknown." He's... just awesome. Took me a while to beat him.

For those who don't know, Final Mix isn't THAT much different than our international version, aside from a few adjustments and new enemies/items, alongside the new boss--the original Japanese version of KH1 had less content than our international version did, and Final Mix included all that and the new enemies and stuff. So it was a bigger deal to the Japanese fans and well-worth buying the game again for many--even discounting those who got it for the English voices. Nonetheless, the additions change the experience enough that those who haven't played the first game in forever should be happy. Nostalgia AND new content. =P
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
@Juno016 Japanese people don't care about English voices. They got the FM versions for the extra content alone. Japanese people, if I'm being nice have absolute apathy for our VAs, since unlike us, they can't try to decipher whether or not so, so and so was well acted or not, not to mention, they just do not care. Why WOULD they care? They have their own VAs to entertain them. The only dubs that get even the slightest bit of care from JP fans are the Ghibli movies.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
eah, LAO is better as a STAND alone piece. I don't want to have to follow crimes. I want be able to see how the characters are in one episode are how they are in that contained space. Episodic live action is better than plot driven live action.
Well thats you're opinion. Just because something isn't stand alone self contained, dosen't mean it's bad like you said. Some of us like following a tightly plotted long form story as it may be more fulfilling. But just because I like that, I don't go around saying the other inherently bad for a nonsensical reason like you did.

Quote:
In games, you're supposed focus on how the game works. The controls. The rules. The gameplay.
Game's have changed. Many games are more then just their game play. To argue against that dosen't even make sense. Especially this gen were narrative in games has gotten even better, more and more people enjoy games beyond just " did I get a high score". The gameplay need just be acceptable and other parts will pick up the slack.

Quote:
Rahxephon, if you're over the age of 25, tell me this. Did you honestly play your Super Mario World on SNES/Super Famicom for the story and characters?
Of course not, I woud'nt play it at all. I hate Mario.

But I've played Vanquish and RE4 because of the gameplay. I could care less about the story. Likewise I've played Bioshock Infinite and The Last of US mostly because the story pushed me through. And I even played The Walking Dead just because of the story, that's why most people even play adventure games. And Story and characters were probably the selling point for many for Last and Bioshock. Likewise, Tales of Graces has great gameplay, but the level design and story suck and I never finished it. Some people played Persona for the story and characters and turned the game down to easy. I played Ni No Kuni because the graphics were great, so did my friend. Many girl friends I have play FF for the story and characters and the games are easy enough that it's fine.

There's no one reason all people play video games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Juno016 Japanese people don't care about English voices. They got the FM versions for the extra content alone. Japanese people, if I'm being nice have absolute apathy for our VAs, since unlike us, they can't try to decipher whether or not so, so and so was well acted or not, not to mention, they just do not care. Why WOULD they care? They have their own VAs to entertain them. The only dubs that get even the slightest bit of care from JP fans are the Ghibli movies.

Japanese people don't USUALLY care about English VA's, but when we're talking about Disney...
Yes, Disney voice actors (or rather, mainstream actors in general) are popular in Japan. Most Japanese Disney Blu-Rays I own include the karaoke features for the English songs, but not the Japanese ones. When I went to Disneyland in Japan, I heard far more English-language music from Disney than Japanese-language music. When I went to karaoke with my friends and we put on Disney songs, our Japanese friends joined in to the English ones (though they did know the Japanese versions, too). When I saw Lion King on television in Japan, it was the English voice dub with subtitles. If KH wasn't filled with so much Disney, the Japanese fans wouldn't have cared for the English version. I think this was mostly a decision made by Disney Japan, rather than Square Enix, but it helped sales a bit. Though, yes, the sales for Final Mix depended heavily on the new content and just adding the English voices would not have sold the games by itself, but there were a lot of people who bought Final Mix because it was in English and they were English Disney fans.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
What great logic.

A sequel is bad because it needs you to know what happen before and I'm going to use something that basically is about having stand alone episodes as my comparison here.

"Man Lost sucks, because unlike in Law and Order I can't just jump into any random episode and know whats up".

And yeah who care's about stories in games? Why care about the world or characters you experience them. All games should just be score attack things.

Fantastic reasoning from our friend who thinks voice acting in games is also unimportant.

Sites were saying FFXIII-2 had a worse ending than ME3 and one of the worst endings in a game ever because it ended on a cliffhanger Rolling Eyes A second game in a trilogy ends on a cliffhanger, oh noes. Empire Strikes Back must be a really crappy movie as well since it ends pretty cliffhangery too. People today are just weird.

animehermit wrote:
To put it in simpler terms, it would be like if Bioware took all of ME2 and made that a mobile game, or a book. Then renamed ME3 ME2. Most people who didn't read the book or play that mobile game would have no clue what the fudge is happening. Bioware actually did release books and a mobile game for ME, but it didn't effect much because they only expanded on some characters and told side stories.

Actually Bioware just cuts it out of the main game then sells you it as 10 dollar DLC like the Shadow Broker and Liara stuff Razz
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well I suppose you just like stuff with zero plot then if you're using Batman as an example. Some of us actually do like story, though

That Batman show has much better written stories than most stuff from Japan y'know. Just saying. Razz

Not sure if I'll pick this game up.
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
That Batman show has much better written stories than most stuff from Japan y'know. Just saying. Razz

Yeah who could forget that timeless classic where Batman caught the Joker and then he escaped from jail next week and caught him again. Simply breathtaking storytelling. Laughing

Rahxephon91 wrote:
A sequel is bad because it needs you to know what happen before and I'm going to use something that basically is about having stand alone episodes as my comparison here.

"Man Lost sucks, because unlike in Law and Order I can't just jump into any random episode and know whats up".

Most American media is designed to be as episodic and plotless as possible. Networks are more worried about catching the new viewer who tunes in halfway through season 5 than actually focusing on storytelling. Even most stuff with some kind of plot tend to tell them in a very episodic and laid back nature. Not surprised if some gamers would treat games the same way.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
You seem to automatically equate "episodic" with "bad." Batman TAS is episodic and comic-booky, yes, but at its best, I have yet to see any animated TV show match it.

Cowboy Bebop is episodic too, and are you gonna tell me that's bad? It's all about how you execute it. Wink

To tie it into Kingdom Hearts, I can certainly understand the viewpoint of those who have been turned off by the series getting too convoluted. I don't agree with them, but I can understand it.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah who could forget that timeless classic where Batman caught the Joker and then he escaped from jail next week and caught him again. Simply breathtaking storytelling. Laughing

A lot of people LOVE to tell me that I'm Tenjin. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, but one thing's for sure. You're BonusStage in an alt. BonusStage has like 2 alts on this forum. Also, Joker's like in, what, 11 episodes ot of 80+? He only appears 1/7th of the time. And Batman TAS has to be like that. If they even attempted to adapt the comics, the comics wouldn't be adapted! They made Naruto look like MLP in comparison, the comics would have STILL been running for 50+ years, so superhero shows cannot be anything other than what they are, due to censorship and how the comics are done. Although Superman TAS has a bloody fight scene between Darkseid and Supes and it links to how Darkseid killed Dan Turpin, so these show CAN have story telling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5DgeLDkNIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5DgeLDkNI

@Juno016 Yeah right. Most Japanese identify Donald Duck with Koichi Yamadera, not Tony Anselmo. If you want to go back further, older Japanese identify Donald with Kei Tomiyama. Same with Mickey Mouse. They are used to the deeper Takashi Aoyagi as Mickey. No amount of Wayne Allwine/Bret Iwan or Tony Anselmo can ever replace the eternal Koichi Yamadera and if you want to be technical, in Kingdom Hearts Anselmo and Allwine/Iwan are dubbing OVER Yamadera and Aoyagi, so in KH the JP VAs are the original, which solidifies it even more. And even if VAing DID matter, it's not like the Disney characters are that important. Most of the characters are voiced by either English anime VAs or celebrities, who don't do Disney work.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Juno016 Yeah right. Most Japanese identify Donald Duck with Koichi Yamadera, not Tony Anselmo. If you want to go back further, older Japanese identify Donald with Kei Tomiyama. Same with Mickey Mouse. They are used to the deeper Takashi Aoyagi as Mickey. No amount of Wayne Allwine/Bret Iwan or Tony Anselmo can ever replace the eternal Koichi Yamadera and if you want to be technical, in Kingdom Hearts Anselmo and Allwine/Iwan are dubbing OVER Yamadera and Aoyagi, so in KH the JP VAs are the original, which solidifies it even more. And even if VAing DID matter, it's not like the Disney characters are that important. Most of the characters are voiced by either English anime VAs or celebrities, who don't do Disney work.

"Yeah right"...? I'm not lying about it. I gave specific examples. It's not to say that the Japanese truly find the English VA's better or "more memorable." They're simply popular. It's kinda like how many older Japanese refuse to watch Japanese dubs of hollywood movies. There's a following for it, and for Disney, the following isn't exactly that niche.
As for who's dubbing over who, of course the Japanese fans aren't familiar with or interested in the Square-original characters (and look it up--most Kingdom Hearts' original characters' English voices come from Disney, not anime... for once in a Japanese-made game). It's all about Disney. Even if the Disney characters aren't as important in the grand scheme of things.
I mean, how do YOU explain why they decided to use the English voices instead of the Japanese voices for all the Final Mix games?
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this since it's been a few years since I've played the main games and I haven't played the side games yet.

I also find the logic of playing video games for the gameplay alone to be nonsense. Games have become another way to experience a story. I'd never waste time on a game that didn't have a good story or at least interesting characters.

Also:

Quote:
Also, Joker's like in, what, 11 episodes ot of 80+? He only appears 1/7th of the time. And Batman TAS has to be like that. If they even attempted to adapt the comics, the comics wouldn't be adapted! They made Naruto look like MLP in comparison, the comics would have STILL been running for 50+ years, so superhero shows cannot be anything other than what they are, due to censorship and how the comics are done. Although Superman TAS has a bloody fight scene between Darkseid and Supes and it links to how Darkseid killed Dan Turpin, so these show CAN have story telling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5DgeLDkNIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5DgeLDkNI

YamadaKun, BtAS was still dark and the most of the villains (Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, and Mad Hatter just to name a few) actually got an upgrade from the comics because up to that point they were gimmick villains. So, at the time, the series was an improvement on the comics.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Actually Bioware just cuts it out of the main game then sells you it as 10 dollar DLC like the Shadow Broker and Liara stuff Razz

Except Shadow Broker came out more than 6 months after ME2 came out. And was developed by a separate studio entirely.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Except Shadow Broker came out more than 6 months after ME2 came out. And was developed by a separate studio entirely.

Day 1 DLC like "From Ashes" is an entirely different matter to be fair Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2