• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture, Cybersix

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Very Happy

Haven't watched Fatal Fury since my older brother had it on VHS years ago (which he borrowed from a friend). I remember enjoying it so I'll gladly pick this up.

Hopefully they rescue the OVAs next along with Night Warriors.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
OMG!!! YEAH BABY!!! CYBERSIX!!! WHOOOOOO!!!

I would have never thought this would EVER make it stateside in a DVD format. I mean Canada and all the other Euro countries did get a release but we didn't get one. And chances are because of ratings and the fact that it seemed so niche. This is a really surprising acquisition. I had the chance to view this online because I never got to finish the series when it was on the air. FoxKids had an odd schedule once the show went into re-runs. And I heard quite a bit of fans really wanted to see release. But this may be the best way. Put it out for those that really want it. I definitely be picking this up and also putting this on my list of recommendations for collection development to our library.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek stated it is attempting to create a 16:9 transfer from the film negatives, especially since an anamorphic release does not currently exist. The film will be released next year.

That's good, because this sorely needed it, the old transfer from way long back is way past due. I hope they can do a good job and really bring out all that film has to offer visually, especially the Obari-specific parts.

I first saw it on Sci-Fi way back when, and it's still as nonsensical and weird now as it was when I was younger.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Feel the storm? It's coming. Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I would love to own FF: TMP on Blu-ray, but would welcome an anamorphic DVD to replace the letterboxed Viz one. If they do end up putting this on BD, that epic soundtrack would be even more epic in lossless 5.1 Anime hyper.
littlefishgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
OMG!!! YEAH BABY!!! CYBERSIX!!! WHOOOOOO!!!

YES!
Discotek is working really hard to become my favorite company in the world. Very Happy
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to here that Discotek's going to make their own transfer. To my knowledge, this is the first time they've ever done this, so I really wish them the best.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
Interesting to here that Discotek's going to make their own transfer. To my knowledge, this is the first time they've ever done this, so I really wish them the best.

They likely did the same with Locke the Superman, as the Japanese DVD was letterboxed, while their DVD was anamorphic... And much, much better looking in terms of color, too.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I would love to own FF: TMP on Blu-ray, but would welcome an anamorphic DVD to replace the letterboxed Viz one. If they do end up putting this on BD, that epic soundtrack would be even more epic in lossless 5.1 Anime hyper.

Dude you have me so stoked! I love this anime. It was one of the first anime I ever saw in dub and I love it! Can't wait! Hope they have the right's to the viz dub. They did such a great job.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Interesting pickups. I've heard good things about Cybersix so I'll probably check it out.

I'm also somewhat interested in the FF movie. I'll at least rent that one.

If Discotek starts going after other 90's fighting game adaptations, hopefully they'll pick up the Darkstalkers/Night Warriors OVAs. Viz's old release is quite rare.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I would love to own FF: TMP on Blu-ray, but would welcome an anamorphic DVD to replace the letterboxed Viz one. If they do end up putting this on BD, that epic soundtrack would be even more epic in lossless 5.1

One of the Street Fighter films got a non-Japanese BluRay, so I don't see why this couldn't either. Even if Discotek can't do it in-house, there are other options where they can send the materials, other places with the equipment and personnel.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
*reads Cybersix*

Shocked

OMFG!!!! I had long given up hope that it would get a DVD release. Discotek, I sincerely love you. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
Hope they have the right's to the viz dub. They did such a great job.

They were able to get the lost Ocean dubs for the Galaxy Express 999 movies that Viz used to have so there should be nothing to worry about here.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
CYBERSIX! YES! Discotek....I love you.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see what else they'll license. If they're interested in licensing another anime based off of a video game then how about the Sonic OVA cause the DVD for that one is a little rare to come by excluding the high priced used DVDs of it. Otherwise I'll continue to hold on to my old tape of the English edit until Discotek or someone else licenses it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3