• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SaiKano Live-Action Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
Do the Japanese just don't care about making things look good or what? I can't believe they don't have the technology or the money.

It seems that they don't have the money. A friend of mine showed me a Japanese newspaper article about it. The native movie industry is bleeding and nearly comatose after repeated muggings by imported American, Korean and now Indian films. Most Japanese movies don't make much money and that makes it hard to get a budget.

What's worse, filming in Japan is extremely difficult. In America they'll clear the streets for you if you're making a movie. In Japan you're viewed as a pest making unreasonable demands. It's very hard for directors to get permission to film anywhere and large areas are off limits. Some directors have taken to using hit and run filming tactics. You cause a traffic jam that keeps the cops away then film your scene and run. By the time the cops get there you're long gone. If they figure out who you are they'll demand a letter of apology promising that you'll never do it again. As one director said, "Those things are easy to write. I've written lots of them."
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The special effects are actually better than I expected, given the above reasons and the track record of most Japanese special effects films.

angel_lover wrote:
Sheesh, even Lolita Confinement Lesbians had more convincing schoolgirls (and no, I'm not going to give a link, you can find your own Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )

Outpostnine has offically corrupted the internet.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I can't get the trailer to come up at all on that link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yes I'm having trouble with that too. I can get the sound but no picture. Doesn't make good radio. Wink
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I had to use IE to get it to work.
both mozilla and opera were giving me audio only.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I tried IE and it worked fine. I couldn't even get it to load up (no sound, either) with Mozilla.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I got it to work with Firefox, though it kept on re-buffering and skipping during playback. It looked decent enough, given limitations. . .you have to admit, the Chise (Weapon Form) character designs from the anime were fairly "out there," and it'd be hard to duplicate. As long as they do better than the Cutey Honey live action movie, I'm satisfied. Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Also, this question has come up before in sub vs. dub debates. . .if you don't know Japanese, can you really honestly judge the acting? It's problematic enough in subtitled anime, but in a raw trailer like this, how much can be judged if you don't know what they're saying? I understood a fair amount of it, but I won't say anything because I'm a lousy judge of acting in any language Sad .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2