• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Ranma 1/2 Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Is it wrong that I might be triple-dipping on this just to recover some space instead of having an entire shelf dedicated to this one show?
Hell, I'm selling my 2 boxsets and 15 vols of manga just for these releases before they drop in value. I'm crossing my fingers that each bly ray set is a normal blu ray case with 2-3 discs each (Though you could fit 4 discs in 1 case too.).

Oh, and REGION FREE Viz! It's bad enough here in the UK we over ever got the 2 films on DVD, so don't deny us of buying the US Blu Rays!
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
wmderemer wrote:
and pls keep your classic Ocean dub. Don't make the BD's sub-only.

Why in the world would they do that?! Anime hyper

Are you asking why they would keep the Ocean dub? Or why they would release it sub-only?
They would use the Ocean dub to avoid the expense of a new dub. I expect them to do that, assuming that they still have the rights to the Ocean dub. I really do not know who owns the dubs.
I cannot think of any reason for a sub-only release. Viz has done a lot of releases without subtitles and Japanese audio, but have they ever had an anime release without a dub? I cannot think of any.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
wmderemer wrote:
and pls keep your classic Ocean dub. Don't make the BD's sub-only.

Why in the world would they do that?! Anime hyper

Are you asking why they would keep the Ocean dub? Or why they would release it sub-only?
They would use the Ocean dub to avoid the expense of a new dub. I expect them to do that, assuming that they still have the rights to the Ocean dub. I really do not know who owns the dubs.
I cannot think of any reason for a sub-only release. Viz has done a lot of releases without subtitles and Japanese audio, but have they ever had an anime release without a dub? I cannot think of any.

Neither could I . I have never once seen Viz Media or Funimation release a series that's sub only.

Online,yes. but definitely not for DVDs or Blue Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AtaruLum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
if they rerelease Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura (AnimEigo) on blu-ray, I would buy that immediately. I have ranma 1/2 tv on french already complete and the video quality is better than the "old" english dvd version.

The Viz English dub are not complete, because not all "Preview to the next Episode" where dubbed and the second narrator opening is never dubbed in english ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGlbEPp1r0 )

Hope they don't change anything (Viz have never shown the Ending Present) and keep the new blu-ray episode order. Vizs order was not the same with the original TV and the japanese blu-ray get a new, because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcFThUbaBw . It is switched back to ep 14, which was originally plan to air.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be getting Monster. I've wanted to read that for the longest time but was far too lazy to track down OOP volumes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
AtaruLum wrote:

Hope they don't change anything (Viz have never shown the Ending Present) and keep the new blu-ray episode order. Vizs order was not the same with the original TV and the japanese blu-ray get a new, because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcFThUbaBw . It is switched back to ep 14, which was originally plan to air.

Ranma's TV ratings were struggling, so the producers skipped eps to go straight to the popular Shampoo. So they already messed up the order.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Ranma's TV ratings were struggling, so the producers skipped eps to go straight to the popular Shampoo. So they already messed up the order.

I have always, ALWAYS wondered about that.
AtaruLum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

This is not really right, if you shown the air dates of Ranma. It was not shown because in Japan were many Abductions at that time. (Source: Japanese Wiki and Booklet of the French Ranma 1/2 DVD Publisher). Ranma have poor TV ratings at that time, but that was not the reason why Abduction of P-Chan was not aired.

Episode 13 was aired at 29 July 1989 and Episode 14 "Kotsuban Uranai! Ranma wa Nippon-ichi no Oyomesan" on 19 August 1989 and the episode with Shampoo on 26 August 1989.

So Abduction of P-Chan was aired in Ranma 1/2 Nettouhen in Episode 7 (or Episode 25 wordwide, in the USA & Canada Episode 19, because of vizs reorder).
SSKK6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
Such great news. I guess this is a good excuse to finally check out Ranma 1/2.

I was just telling my friend the other day that Monster deserves an omnibus reprint. I already own all the manga (found it all dirt cheap for $40), but I'll happily be buying these omnibus as well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
AtaruLum wrote:
if they rerelease Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura (AnimEigo) on blu-ray, I would buy that immediately. I have ranma 1/2 tv on french already complete and the video quality is better than the "old" english dvd version.

The Viz English dub are not complete, because not all "Preview to the next Episode" where dubbed and the second narrator opening is never dubbed in english ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGlbEPp1r0 )

Unfortunately the odds of them releasing the Animego releases are somewhat slim since the old dubs of Urusei Yastrua were the movies since they were the only english dubs i can find. but i highly doubt they would release both of those titles without any dubs on DVD. IF there is one thing i know , is that both Viz & Funimation wont give a licensed release the same sub only treatment that Section 23 / Sentai Filmworks , Media Blasters / Anime Works & Right Stuff / Nozumi Animation does to some of its licensed series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AtaruLum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
AnimEigo dub also the first two episodes of Urusei Yatsura in english. It was released as "Those Obnoxious Aliens" and only released on VHS. I have the tape.

Another english dub is the Animax dub (Ranma 1/2 have also an Animax English Dub), but that is not made for north american. Here a clip of ep 27: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhq1PwX1qI
krelyan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Curious to see if the new Monster Perfect Edition will be size of their VizBig line or at the trim size of the other Urasawa stuff they've released. I'd definitely re-buy if they did them at the VizBig dimensions, otherwise, I'll likely pass.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Yes, God forbid people go through the stressful and time consuming process of selecting a different audio track. Rolling Eyes

I think he meant the opposite.

It didn't seem to me that wmderemer was being sarcastic, but if he was, oh well. I just think it's a little ridiculous when you still have people complaining when two audio tracks are available. When you don't like one, just pick the other. Just be happy knowing that having both the English and Japanese audio track opens the release up to a wider audience.

Correct, I was not being sarcastic... i LOVE the original dub Viz did for Ranma (by Ocean in Canada)... 'twas how I was introduced to Ranma back in the 2-eps-on-a-tape VHS days...
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
Ah yeah, I have been dying for years for a Monster released, because I didn't get into it until after it had started going out of print, and had to end up reading scanlations. BUT NOW I CAN OWN IT!

And I have asked the Viz people at two different AXs if they were going to re-release it.

Last year I ended up going through my Library system's Takashi selection, as I had never read or seen any of her stuff. I went in thinking I would probably only like Mermaid Saga (which I did), but I ended up being charmed my Ranma. I might pick up those as well, though I don't think I will be per-ordering them like I will with Monster.
Terodius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
I love this series. I got the first 20 chapters from my step brother and became obsessed with getting the rest of the booklets and have watched the whole anime series at least 3 times. I agree that the quality of the dvds and the torrents is pretty bad. Another anime I love, Cardcaptors Sakura, was remastered and released in blu-ray and honestly there were a lot of animation artifacts and noticeable problems with audio and picture quality.

A lot of these animes were never intended to be seen in such high detail, so remastering and restoring them properly is as important as the resolution bump. By 2014 we'll be seeing most new movies and series released in 4K, so a 1080p release will already be outdated by at least 5 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4