• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Ranma 1/2 Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Terodius wrote:
Another anime I love, Cardcaptors Sakura, was remastered and released in blu-ray and honestly there were a lot of animation artifacts and noticeable problems with audio and picture quality.

Did you watch the actual Blu-rays or Blu-ray rips?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Terodius wrote:
Another anime I love, Cardcaptors Sakura, was remastered and released in blu-ray and honestly there were a lot of animation artifacts and noticeable problems with audio and picture quality.

This. Nothing can compare to the bitrate an actual Blu-ray disc can put out. Torrented files will always be second to the real deal.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Terodius wrote:

This. Nothing can compare to the bitrate an actual Blu-ray disc can put out. Torrented files will always be second to the real deal.

I don't know about Cardcaptors Sakura and it could very well be a bad encode from the fansubber, but in general that's not really true. BDs conform to a very limited subset of the h.264 spec, so there are not many optimizations you can do. Bumping up the bitrate is the simplest, least-effort way of retaining quality in this situation. In addition most tend to use commercial encoders, usually built into the authoring software, but no commercial encoder is as good as x264 (although a few are starting to use that for commercial blu-ray now too; though not for anime AFAIK).

Without restrictions, many things simply don't need that much bitrate at all, albeit you usually want to err on the side of larger files so you don't waste time checking every scene in every episode. You can compress it down to a fraction of the size and keep it virtually transparent, likewise for audio. Sometimes the Japanese encodes themselves can be bad. For example, the Japanese encode for Basilisk BD is terribad, as in they completely fucked up. The US BD is much better. Sometimes it's the reverse. Sometimes the Italian BDs are better, like for PMMM. The JP and US versions suffer from some banding whereas the Italian version does not.

Also, BDMV rips (decrypted BDs) are torrented too you know
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4