• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki to Stream Cowboy Bebop TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@CrowLia I love how you nitpick about pronunciations in English dubs, even though that doesn't matter this is a Space WESTERN, which has a lot of western names and references. If anything, the Japanese version technically pronounces the names wrong*. And how can you have a problem watching an English language cartoon in English? I can understand anime, but something like the DCAU?

*Phonetic pronunciation isn't correct pronunciation BTW. Just because that how something's pronounced in a particular dialect/language doesn't make it correct to the original language. Most Brits and some Americans pronounce "Mario" as "Marry-o" instead of Mar-ree-o, the Italian based pronunciation. Likewise, the Japanese version of Gundam W doesn't even come close to pronouncing "Quatre" right. "Katoru" is not right. It could have easily been "Ku-wa-to-ra" or something.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the dub -especially since I haven't watched either version-. I just said very specifically that for me individually, personally my own unique opinion is that English speaking cartoons bug me. I can't even explain it, it's just a [expletive] personal thing. Mind reading the shit you reply to before getting anal about your precious dub
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
@CrowLia I never defended the dub, you [insult removed]. I actually defended Justice League's English voice acting. Why don't YOU learn to read the shit I write? -_-

[Mod Edit: Insulting other users is not allowed and completely unnecessary. Adding that in there served no purpose except to attack and belittle another poster - Keonyn]
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@CrowLia I never defended the dub, you [insult removed]. I actually defended Justice League's English voice acting. Why don't YOU learn to read the shit I write? -_-

I don't understand why everyone is jumping on CrowLia just because she doesn't like dubs or English cartoons in English.

Quote:
And how can you have a problem watching an English language cartoon in English? I can understand anime, but something like the DCAU?

It's how she is. It's her personal thing. Ok, maybe it's rare but yeah, it happens.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch Cowboy Bebop until just about two years ago. I simply had better things to do. Nakamura Yutaka's fight scenes were great, but I think I really liked Nakao Ryuusei, Chiba Shigeru, Gouri Daisuke, Wakamoto Norio, Hayami Shou and Yamadera Kou'ichi's voice work the most. Damn, this really had a lot of high-quality voice actors. Laughing
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Why? It's only been airing on Adult Swim for the past 12 years.

I'm serious. Let Bebop DIE. Let it die. Sell the Blu-Ray's, but get it off TV.

it feels like they are stripping it of its worth by constantly having it on TV, its alot like dbz, it was great the first time.... but it never went away.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Just as a point of reference and/or interest, I was at a discussion/autograph evening with Shinichiro Watanabe a couple of months ago here in Edinburgh, and 2 episodes of Bebop were shown, in Japanese as that was how Watanabe had requested they be shown.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly After all these years, now we know that it's the opposite! He never said he preferred the dub at all. Anime hyper There's also similar rumors going around that the Hellsing creator praised the dub, Hideo Kojima praised the MGS dub to the point of saying that it's better in English, a rumor that Vic Mignogna was picked by Gundam 00's/FMA1's director, a rumor Yoko Kanno praised Steve Blum's Spike and said the CB dub was better and a rumor that Hideaki Anno was involved with the rebuild dubs casting choices, that he denied some of the TV dub's VA, since Khara apparently had to approve as well as praising the 1998 TV series dub. We now know that 1 out of these rumors is false.

It's not like I give a damn what Watanabe thinks, anyway. I watch anime for fun, anyways and it just so happens that his anime happens to be the most fun.

@penguintruth You've said before that Watanabe prefers the dub, now you're saying that he never did. We now know the truth, but you have said that Watanabe said that he preferred the dub.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
TrueSkin1 wrote:

At least Bebop runs 26 episodes and is an episodic series to where it never gets played out .

Nope. Not episodic. It's not hard to watch out of order, but it makes a heck of a lot more sense in order.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@penguintruth You've said before that Watanabe prefers the dub, now you're saying that he never did. We now know the truth, but you have said that Watanabe said that he preferred the dub.

Do you have any evidence I've ever said that he preferred the English dub?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Wasn't the Zeta dub on Daisuki?

It was/is. I haven't checked in a while. If it WAS, I'd assume they changed it to the sub for consitency because they put ZZ on there and that doesn't have a dub. At least, one they could use.

The Animax ZZ dub isn't much worse than Blue Water's Zeta dub.

They're both horrendous.

I think it IS worse. Whoever eventually licenses Zeta should probably make a new dub (it's rare for Animax dubs to make it over here anyway). Though the Hong Kong voice acting is pretty hilarious.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I think it IS worse. Whoever eventually licenses Zeta should probably make a new dub (it's rare for Animax dubs to make it over here anyway). Though the Hong Kong voice acting is pretty hilarious.

I REALLY doubt that if Zeta gets picked up again it'll get a new dub. It's simply too old a show to put that much effort into releasing.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the original Gundam got a dub 30 years after it came out. Razz Actually, even the Hong Kong dub of Zeta is only a few years old (the show itself is 28). A show's age shouldn't mean anything. Gatchaman, Macross, and Dragon Ball also got dubs when they were 20-30 years old. There's also the possibility Sentai might dub the 40-year-old original Casshern.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Eh, the original Gundam got a dub 30 years after it came out. Razz Actually, even the Hong Kong dub of Zeta is only a few years old (the show itself is 28). A show's age shouldn't mean anything. Gatchaman, Macross, and Dragon Ball also got dubs when they were 20-30 years old. There's also the possibility Sentai might dub the 40-year-old original Casshern.

The original Gundam didn't do all that well. Neither did the re-dub for Macross.

Given the animation in Zeta isn't as aged as 0079,but it's still a direct sequel to 0079.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
If Sentai gets the show, I could see them dubbing it since they have no issue dubbing older things (recently the Gatchaman OVA redub, also their attempt to redub New Dominion Tank Police) as well as longer shows (Golgo 13 is a recent example roughly the same length, and had only modest expectations).

Nozomi or Discotek? Probably not. FUNimation? I'm not sure they'd be interested in Gundam, but if they are, they'd probably dub it.

I know the original Gundam didn't do all that well on Toonami (although it's cancelation more or less had to do with 9/11), but obviously Zeta wouldn't be on TV. Whoever thought it was a good idea to run an anime from the 1970s on Cartoon Network?
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
Shinichiro Watanabe's series to be available digitally for 1st time

They've had episodes on rotation streaming at AdultSwim.com for years.

First time the show is available uncensored digitally, as the episodes on AdultSwim.com were the TV version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3