• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Stream Blue Exorcist in U.S., Canada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear. Will ANN be using the ANN player? What type of video quality can we expect and will there be ad support? Just trying to figure out if I support ANN on this one or stick with my Crunchyroll subscription.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time Crunchyroll has shared a simulcast with Hulu?
They had a couple shows shared with TAN, didn't they?

I guess as a CR subscriber I'll be watching there. Yes, I have an ANN subscription as well but CR subscribers don't have to watch commercials like they do here and on Hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Why the three day delay? Aniplex should realize that they're shooting themselves in the foot.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to watch this on Crunchyroll! Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Is this the first time Crunchyroll has shared a simulcast with Hulu?
They had a couple shows shared with TAN, didn't they?
There's the deal with Viz for s Naruto Shippuden and Bleach, but AFAIK its the first time that Crunchyroll has streamed a simulcast to subscribers on the same day it streams on Hulu.

Crunchy shared Demon King with TAN, then the next season TAN started their one exclusive simulcast a season run.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Why the three day delay? Aniplex should realize that they're shooting themselves in the foot.

It's pretty sad when people think waiting three days is "shooting themselves in the foot." Most people not willing to wait that short of time probably aren't watching simulcasts in the first place. Besides, it beats the typical one week delay on free simulcasts.

Emerje
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who can't get the promo trailer on the banner to work? It seems to be linked to episode 1 of Kannagi for some reason...

Anyway, great news. I find the manga pretty enjoyable, and the trailers I've seen so far are pretty dark and ominous, so I have high hopes for this one.

Not to mention that Rin is voiced by Accelerator's VA...hehehehehe, this might be epic Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I the only one who can't get the promo trailer on the banner to work?

Be glad that you can at least see it because I can't! Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I really appreciate ANN making this available to Canada. Truthfully, I'm probably going to watch it on CR since I'll be getting an account there but I appreciate it all the same.

Emerje wrote:
It's pretty sad when people think waiting three days is "shooting themselves in the foot." Most people not willing to wait that short of time probably aren't watching simulcasts in the first place. Besides, it beats the typical one week delay on free simulcasts.

Emerje

If that's the case, why don't we just forget simulcasts entirely? They're never going to compete with illegal means so let's just forget it. Sorry, but no. A slight delay is manageable. You'll still get a lot of the fansub market. Three days though, that's an eternity in the world of the internet. Nobody is going to wait that long unless they actually care about supporting the legit release and most people don't. Honestly, whether you think it's 'sad' is irrelevant. It's the reality of the situation and they're really handicapping themselves by dismissing it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Am I the only one who can't get the promo trailer on the banner to work?

Be glad that you can at least see it because I can't! Laughing

But not seeing the banner for Blue Exorcist means that you would be immune if ANN pulled another Seikirei with the ads. That was a lightning-fast ALT+F4 moment for me.
Quote:
Yes, I have an ANN subscription as well but CR subscribers don't have to watch commercials like they do here and on Hulu.

I have yet to see a commercial on the ANN player. Every time it gets to a commercial break, it throws an error message (brutal on fullscreen viewing) and then takes up to a minute to jump back to the video. Most times it immediately jumps back.

I'll probably go with CR, despite the severe bandwidth issues I've had with them, as their video setup is at least navigable. The ANN system is an obfuscated mess. You have to find which of the 3 alphanumaric categories your desired video is in, click on that, wait for it to load the 50 or so titles therein--which takes a bit--and then you have to scroll through all of that until you find what you want. Why ANN decided on this mess is unknown to me. The CR system where you get the video you search for is vastly superior. I find its player, and hulu's, to be faster on things like my netbook than ANN's.

On topic, the trailer doesn't really tell us that much about the show. There are some clips of fights, and a possible explanation behind the main character's motives. Also, it seems kinda cheap to advertise this as being by the creators of Darker than Black & Black Butler, since it isn't really true. Talk about trying to ride coatttails.

I'll give it a shot though, why not?
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Now I can watch it legally for free! xDD Ah, shonen exorcist anime, it's been too long...

Ads are worth it~
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Good to hear. Will ANN be using the ANN player? What type of video quality can we expect and will there be ad support? Just trying to figure out if I support ANN on this one or stick with my Crunchyroll subscription.

We will indeed be using the ANN Player. Quality should be at least as good as the Funimation stuff. Further announcements regarding available quality modes should come later.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I have yet to see a commercial on the ANN player. Every time it gets to a commercial break, it throws an error message (brutal on fullscreen viewing) and then takes up to a minute to jump back to the video. Most times it immediately jumps back.

Sounds like you might have an ad blocking program blocking our ad server. If that's not the case PM me and I'll get that straightened out for you.
maylo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Emerje wrote:

We will indeed be using the ANN Player. Quality should be at least as good as the Funimation stuff. Further announcements regarding available quality modes should come later.

So 360p I take it then? As that's the only size they release in, and assuming you said "at least" means there might not more than a 400p or 480p. 360p and 480p being the standards for hulu...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Finely there learning just stream it here to
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2