Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Stream Blue Exorcist in U.S., Canada


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Emerje



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 6211
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear. Will ANN be using the ANN player? What type of video quality can we expect and will there be ad support? Just trying to figure out if I support ANN on this one or stick with my Crunchyroll subscription.

Emerje
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 2991
Location: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time Crunchyroll has shared a simulcast with Hulu?
They had a couple shows shared with TAN, didn't they?

I guess as a CR subscriber I'll be watching there. Yes, I have an ANN subscription as well but CR subscribers don't have to watch commercials like they do here and on Hulu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge



Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 1018
Location: British Columbia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Why the three day delay? Aniplex should realize that they're shooting themselves in the foot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anime Remix



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to watch this on Crunchyroll! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3199
Location: NE Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Is this the first time Crunchyroll has shared a simulcast with Hulu?
They had a couple shows shared with TAN, didn't they?
There's the deal with Viz for s Naruto Shippuden and Bleach, but AFAIK its the first time that Crunchyroll has streamed a simulcast to subscribers on the same day it streams on Hulu.

Crunchy shared Demon King with TAN, then the next season TAN started their one exclusive simulcast a season run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Emerje



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 6211
Location: Maine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Why the three day delay? Aniplex should realize that they're shooting themselves in the foot.


It's pretty sad when people think waiting three days is "shooting themselves in the foot." Most people not willing to wait that short of time probably aren't watching simulcasts in the first place. Besides, it beats the typical one week delay on free simulcasts.

Emerje
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
swienke



Joined: 18 May 2009
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who can't get the promo trailer on the banner to work? It seems to be linked to episode 1 of Kannagi for some reason...

Anyway, great news. I find the manga pretty enjoyable, and the trailers I've seen so far are pretty dark and ominous, so I have high hopes for this one.

Not to mention that Rin is voiced by Accelerator's VA...hehehehehe, this might be epic Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
egoist
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7670

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I the only one who can't get the promo trailer on the banner to work?

Be glad that you can at least see it because I can't! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6961
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I really appreciate ANN making this available to Canada. Truthfully, I'm probably going to watch it on CR since I'll be getting an account there but I appreciate it all the same.

Emerje wrote:
It's pretty sad when people think waiting three days is "shooting themselves in the foot." Most people not willing to wait that short of time probably aren't watching simulcasts in the first place. Besides, it beats the typical one week delay on free simulcasts.

Emerje


If that's the case, why don't we just forget simulcasts entirely? They're never going to compete with illegal means so let's just forget it. Sorry, but no. A slight delay is manageable. You'll still get a lot of the fansub market. Three days though, that's an eternity in the world of the internet. Nobody is going to wait that long unless they actually care about supporting the legit release and most people don't. Honestly, whether you think it's 'sad' is irrelevant. It's the reality of the situation and they're really handicapping themselves by dismissing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Echo_City



Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Am I the only one who can't get the promo trailer on the banner to work?

Be glad that you can at least see it because I can't! Laughing

But not seeing the banner for Blue Exorcist means that you would be immune if ANN pulled another Seikirei with the ads. That was a lightning-fast ALT+F4 moment for me.
Quote:
Yes, I have an ANN subscription as well but CR subscribers don't have to watch commercials like they do here and on Hulu.

I have yet to see a commercial on the ANN player. Every time it gets to a commercial break, it throws an error message (brutal on fullscreen viewing) and then takes up to a minute to jump back to the video. Most times it immediately jumps back.

I'll probably go with CR, despite the severe bandwidth issues I've had with them, as their video setup is at least navigable. The ANN system is an obfuscated mess. You have to find which of the 3 alphanumaric categories your desired video is in, click on that, wait for it to load the 50 or so titles therein--which takes a bit--and then you have to scroll through all of that until you find what you want. Why ANN decided on this mess is unknown to me. The CR system where you get the video you search for is vastly superior. I find its player, and hulu's, to be faster on things like my netbook than ANN's.

On topic, the trailer doesn't really tell us that much about the show. There are some clips of fights, and a possible explanation behind the main character's motives. Also, it seems kinda cheap to advertise this as being by the creators of Darker than Black & Black Butler, since it isn't really true. Talk about trying to ride coatttails.

I'll give it a shot though, why not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZipZapZopTitania



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 132

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Now I can watch it legally for free! xDD Ah, shonen exorcist anime, it's been too long...

Ads are worth it~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jsevakis
ANN Director of New Media


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1529
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Good to hear. Will ANN be using the ANN player? What type of video quality can we expect and will there be ad support? Just trying to figure out if I support ANN on this one or stick with my Crunchyroll subscription.


We will indeed be using the ANN Player. Quality should be at least as good as the Funimation stuff. Further announcements regarding available quality modes should come later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
ANN Director of New Media


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1529
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I have yet to see a commercial on the ANN player. Every time it gets to a commercial break, it throws an error message (brutal on fullscreen viewing) and then takes up to a minute to jump back to the video. Most times it immediately jumps back.

Sounds like you might have an ad blocking program blocking our ad server. If that's not the case PM me and I'll get that straightened out for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
maylo



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Good to hear. Will ANN be using the ANN player? What type of video quality can we expect and will there be ad support? Just trying to figure out if I support ANN on this one or stick with my Crunchyroll subscription.


We will indeed be using the ANN Player. Quality should be at least as good as the Funimation stuff. Further announcements regarding available quality modes should come later.

So 360p I take it then? As that's the only size they release in, and assuming you said "at least" means there might not more than a 400p or 480p. 360p and 480p being the standards for hulu...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 2275
Location: wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Finely there learning just stream it here to
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group