• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena's Ikuhara Reveals 2011 Mawaru PenguinDrum Work

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
I still absolutely cannot wait for this!

Ikuhara + Penguins = I don't know, but it's probably going to be amazing.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, what kind of plot line will it be in order to fit lesbians and penguins? Laughing
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Just one question... Is PenguinDrum code for LesbiansBanging? because if it is, then I'm all for it!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Hmmm, what kind of plot line will it be in order to fit lesbians and penguins? Laughing

Happy Clit
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna gamble on PenguinDrum being a 'code name' for the project, as so the potential audience is kept in the dark about what it's actually going to be.

So... Maybe it's a spiritual successor to Utena. Razz
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
I'm gonna gamble on PenguinDrum being a 'code name' for the project, as so the potential audience is kept in the dark about what it's actually going to be.

I'm hoping this is the case as well.
More fancy lesbians, please!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

I'm hoping this is the case as well.
More fancy lesbians, please!

Be it Yuri heavy in content or not, it doesn't matter to me.

I just want more mind****ery visuals, themes and metaphors like Utena brought me. Again, if that means a direct OR spiritual successor, awesome. If not, no harm no foul.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, what has he been doing all this time? I've often wondered if he felt he'd accomplished everything he wanted/needed to accomplish with Utena, but it's just so strange for a director that had so much success so early in his career to virtually disappear from the industry for 12 years.

However, if this new series is as good as I know he can make it, all will be forgiven...
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
Honestly, what has he been doing all this time? I've often wondered if he felt he'd accomplished everything he wanted/needed to accomplish with Utena, but it's just so strange for a director that had so much success so early in his career to virtually disappear from the industry for 12 years.

However, if this new series is as good as I know he can make it, all will be forgiven...

He did some storyboarding for Diebuster.

Which is in dire need of a R1 re-release IMO. And I mean the OVAs. Not the movie, or movies or what have you.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Genius though he is, he apparently is known for being a gigantic horrifying pain in the ass to work with. The Utena movie also was a very expensive flop in Japan (I know this because the story goes that after seeing a screening in Japan, CPM halved their offer and they still took it).

Cryssoberyl wrote:

Indeed! 'Tis the law of the entertainment business.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:

Genius though he is, he apparently is known for being a gigantic horrifying pain in the ass to work with. The Utena movie also was a very expensive flop in Japan (I know this because the story goes that after seeing a screening in Japan, CPM halved their offer and they still took it).

Cryssoberyl wrote:

Indeed! 'Tis the law of the entertainment business.

I've never heard this. You honestly sound bitter due to your own interactions with him or something.

I think in general, very creative people either tend to be very prolific or not so prolific. It really doesn't surprise me that he took 12 years off after acocmplishing something on the level of Utena. Whatever those reasosn may be, I doubt he was ran out of the industry though like our ex-CPM employee is stating here. If that was the case, it would be common knowledge among the fans. I'm sure he could have found more work, but maybe he didn't want it or was burned out for whatever reason.
TJR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
If that was the case, it would be common knowledge among the fans.

Dunno. These kinds of issues tend to be kept under wraps (the Japanese are very concerned about saving face), so it's actually unlikely for many things to become common knowledge. There's always lots of speculation among fans, as well as gossip stemming from industry insiders, but it's almost never directly addressed in public.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I've never heard this. You honestly sound bitter due to your own interactions with him or something.

Not personally, he was quite nice to me. But god, the stories I've heard.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dunno. These kinds of issues tend to be kept under wraps (the Japanese are very concerned about saving face), so it's actually unlikely for many things to become common knowledge. There's always lots of speculation among fans, as well as gossip stemming from industry insiders, but it's almost never directly addressed in public.

And so what? It's gossip. Even if there is a grain of truth to it, you're not getting the whole story regardless, especially from the extreme periphery of another continent. To me, this is like if some guy who worked with Alan Moore on a re-print of Watchmen that was sold in Germany started talking mad trash about him a decade after the fact.

As far as speculation goes, lets spread it around to be fair. Justin Sevakis hasn't really been involved in the R1 industry for years as far as I can discern. Maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe he can't get along with other people either. See how this works?
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
And so what? It's gossip. Even if there is a grain of truth to it, you're not getting the whole story regardless, especially from the extreme periphery of another continent. To me, this is like if some guy who worked with Alan Moore on a re-print of Watchmen that was sold in Germany started talking mad trash about him a decade after the fact.

As far as speculation goes, lets spread it around to be fair. Justin Sevakis hasn't really been involved in the R1 industry for years as far as I can discern. Maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe he can't get along with other people either. See how this works?

Jesus, J-Styxx. The stories are well documented. Heck, Chiho Saito recounts more than a few "Ikuhara is difficult" stories in the commentary track for the last volume RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, with him in the booth laughing. He also tried to micromanage our choice of translators, our packaging design (OK, he had a point with that one), and was such a pest that several Utena related contracts had a "no contact with Ikuhara" clause. That is not normal, and I was directly privy to that.

But if you must throw around accusations for some bizarre perceived revenge on someone who might TARNISH THE NAME OF YOUR BELOVED, I am both difficult AND currently working in R1. (You can check my encyclopedia page, though I often work freelance jobs uncredited)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3