• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 50% of Evangelion Movie Funds Raised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subaru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
The idea it self is retarded from the start and this "news" is a joke and the moronic mistakes is the weak punchline.

Only the most weak minded of anime fan would like the idea of a Live Action Evangelion. It's a sad day when morons gather together to talk about how much they want to see something like this. I hope this is never made.. it's a joke..

I'm totally disagree with you. The characters in eva are all very real with layers of personality. If they get it right, it could be very good. Also, it might give them a chance to complete all the missing info in the original plot too. But bear in mind, I'm saying if they get it RIGHT..... I know they are going to to change the story a bit in order to appeal the general audiences... I mean, come on, eva was pretty alternative even for anime standard..... but hopefully its not going to be just a movie about giant robots bashing the shit out of giant monsters.

Nonetheless, its always good to see anime culture get more exposure. Just like the Harry Potter movies, compare to the books, they are pretty bad. but lots of people start reading the books after the movies.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
Nice article with an interesting take on the domestic anime market. Things might not be great for US anime releases, but at least they're apparently doing as good or better than some other mainstream domestic media.

I actually like the idea of a live-action Eva movie. Then again, maybe this thing will flop big time and will eventually bring down ADV and leave them broke and forgotten. Hmm. Well, I'll still hope for the best.

I ended up writing the author to thank him for putting more time into this article than most authors that cover anime development for the main-stream press.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quote
I hope this money is ring-fenced other wise it will just be a biscuit jar.
lantis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

I think they should give Golden Boy a chance on AS. I'm sure that would even catch the attention of the comedy fans. But there'd be a lot of editing to do, even if they were to air it at the TV-MA level (which would be the ONLY level they could air it at).

Considering that the license expired and they haven't renewed yet I think this is a problem. Also its way to hentai for AS to consider.

Doug
Patmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't want to see this, I was looking at the concept art last year and the eva redesigns looked passable at best and they are changing asuka's name to Ashley and Rei to Ray, these are signs people! signs of bad things. I really hope they don't make this as tempting as the idea might be. Just like the idea that was thrown around in studios of live action Lupin with Ed norton (as lupin) oh it sounds interesting but it will end up like the Final Fantasy Movie, or League of Extordinary Gentlemen, off topic and half realized. I could be wrong... I'm probably not.
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The characters in eva are all very real with layers of personality.

Which would really make a live-action movie suck. Characters need that thing... y'know, last I heard it was called "development". A movie can be 3 hours at most, which is nowhere near the time Anno put down to make his characters look like real people.
Quote:
all the missing info in the original plot

That's not "missing". That would be "that most fans were too lazy\stupid to research". There are no blank spots in the Eva plot whatsoever. Although I agree that there are enough hazy spots, but hey, that's why we love Gainax, no?
Quote:
I know they are going to to change the story a bit in order to appeal the general audiences...

As I once said, as long as they don't slap an American flag on the backs of the Evas and the third angel doesn't have a hammer and sickle on its arse.
Quote:
eva was pretty alternative even for anime standard...

Or, should we say, the very essence of anime taken to the extreme coupled with a great plot.
Quote:
but hopefully its not going to be just a movie about giant robots bashing the shit out of giant monsters

Hopefully, it will. An LA movie will never be able to translate emotions the way anime does. Especially if we're talking about NGE here.
Quote:
Just like the Harry Potter movies, compare to the books, they are pretty bad.

The third - maybe. The first and the second a pretty much the same as the books in their feel.
Quote:
Then again, maybe this thing will flop big time and will eventually bring down ADV and leave them broke and forgotten.

Mmmm... this version beats the "It's going to be just a cool action movie" and moves to the top of my chart. THAT would make me even happier. Twisted Evil
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Patmos wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't want to see this, I was looking at the concept art last year and the eva redesigns looked passable at best and they are changing asuka's name to Ashley and Rei to Ray, these are signs people!
It's called concept art for a reason. The name used on the concept art doesn't matter, as it's in no way tied to production. That being said, the names being changed has been discussed before. To make the movie marketable to anyone outside of Eva fans (which it needs to be), that's pretty much a given, and doesn't change the story. When it all comes down to it, if you don't want to see it , then don't. Those of us that do, will.

Darth_Blade wrote:

Which would really make a live-action movie suck. Characters need that thing... y'know, last I heard it was called "development". A movie can be 3 hours at most, which is nowhere near the time Anno put down to make his characters look like real people.

So are you saying that no LA movie can show good character devlopment? Another thing that's been discussed is that the movie is not going to cover the whole of the series, so there will be further time for development, assuming it gets made and makes some decent money.

Patmos wrote:
That's not "missing". That would be "that most fans were too lazy\stupid to research". There are no blank spots in the Eva plot whatsoever. Although I agree that there are enough hazy spots, but hey, that's why we love Gainax, no?

Yes, there are several blank spots, ones that no person can say with absolute authority (except maybe Anno if he went to the trouble to actually formulate answers), what the answer or thing is. Of course, these are here by design.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, how credible can you transfer the Evangelion mythos as well as the psychological development of the characters that endure over the course of 26 episodes (not all of them, mind you) into a live-action movie format? Anime - no, animation - can do so much that live action cannot, and portray a sensibility and contrast with reality that live action cannot. In Neon Genesis Evangelion, it isn't the giant biomechs, the explosions, and neat symbolism that create the tapestry, but rather the context in which they are used. Hollywood-style live action films largely miss out on that, and I fear they will if they adapt a well-known story with a niche fandom into some largely unaccountable live action fraud. It's not as though I want it to fail, but as it stands, such a thing cannot succeed on the basis that animation and live action are two different mediums, and a transfer from animation to live action is no more tangible than a transfer from video game to live action. It's limiting, and the philosophy of Hollywood movies is limiting. The Evangelion story has been told, and is over.

The argument that "if you don't want to see it, dont, but the rest of us will" is irrelevant to the point that such an Evangelion movie would most likely betray its origins, if not in production value and story value, but in concept itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The argument that "if you don't want to see it, don't, but the rest of us will" is irrelevant to the point that such an Evangelion movie would most likely betray its origins, if not in production value and story value, but in concept itself.

And the only way to know that is to see the final product. And if it sucks, then it sucks, whoop-dee-doo. How hard is that for people to comprehend? If you set something up to fail before you've even seen it then that's what will happen, and a great many people just cannot imagine it will do anything but that. Look at things with an open mind, and if it fails, then what is lost? As far as Eva goes nothing. It could have repercussions for ADV and it may go a long way whether future anime to LA movies are made, but that's it. It wouldn't be the end of the world, nor would it destroy Eva.

I don't know if it will be able to make the transformation from anime to the big screen LA, but I sure don't look at it with my negative glasses on, nor do I look at it with my rose colored glasses. It is whatever it turns out to be, and that I won't know until I see it.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
There is no way Goldenboy will ever air on Adult Swim. First off, it's too old,

But Eva came out 10 years ago. Wouldn't THAT be considered old?

Seif wrote:
second, it's a comedy,

And...? Adult Swim airs lots of comedy, however, this would be better in the action block, because God forbid a comedy fan watches anything Japanese.

Seif wrote:
and third it's way to risque' for even AS to air. Not that they're conservitvie or anything, but do you really think they would air a chick getting off on a motorcycle?

They could always cut that episode (although that would make her appearance in the final episode a bit confusing) or place shots of Kintaro's reaction to what she's doing over the shots of her getting off and overlay the sound of her moaning onto the shots. That way, you don't see what's happening, but you get the general idea - kinda like when Naruto and Sasuke kissed.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The "50% of the money raised" is meaningless without a distributor. Small independent filmmakers can raise 100% of the funds needed to make their own films and then struggle to get it shown anywhere. And if "Project Eva" intends to spend a nine-figure sum on making this film, they'll need to do better than a tour of the art theater circuit to make a profit.

Like others have said, once a distributor and director are announced, I'll start believing in this movie. Until then, it's an expensive fantasy.

------RM
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:

Like others have said, once a distributor and director are announced, I'll start believing in this movie. Until then, it's an expensive fantasy.

Agreed. With the crap that regularly gets churned out these days though (blockbuster crap at that), one would think it wouldn't be truly THAT difficult to find someone.

Actually, now that I think about it, who needs a big-time distributor anyway? Raise the money, shoot the movie with Greenfield as director, then ADV can handle their own straight-to-dvd release. I see truckloads of money rolling to ADV in that scenario. I also see a truck coming to pick me up and take me to the looney farm. Laughing
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The argument that "if you don't want to see it, don't, but the rest of us will" is irrelevant to the point that such an Evangelion movie would most likely betray its origins, if not in production value and story value, but in concept itself.

And the only way to know that is to see the final product. And if it sucks, then it sucks, whoop-dee-doo. How hard is that for people to comprehend? If you set something up to fail before you've even seen it then that's what will happen, and a great many people just cannot imagine it will do anything but that. Look at things with an open mind, and if it fails, then what is lost?

Never underestimate the past. When you have a whole library of such bombs and poorly adapted movies from both the Video Game and Comic Book Genres, with very few high points in that mess, then you can understand where this idealology comes from.

Even the "Perfect Films" do have their faults. Unless you personally read the Blade comics back in the 1970's, the Blade Franchise was a well-executed at first, then slowly kinda tapered off. But still, it could be said that it did a "update" of the character.

The Spiderman franchise does have it's faults, but still it's a good film series nonetheless. I mean, why didn't they explore a little bit more of Osbornes dementia and split personalities instead of wasting time introducing such a hack singer like Macy Gray?

And seriously, making an insult to the costumes that made the X-Men unique for those Matrix-eqsue looking jumpsuits they wear wasn't warranted. Personally, I would've loved to see Hugh Jackman wear Wolverine's recognizeable Tigershark duds even for a few minutes. It's a unique part of Wolverine, and the slapping of such history is not warranted.

Quote:
It could have repercussions for ADV and it may go a long way whether future anime to LA movies are made, but that's it. It wouldn't be the end of the world, nor would it destroy Eva.

Someone needs to talk to Square-Enix and their bankrupt Square Pictures.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Someone needs to talk to Square-Enix and their bankrupt Square Pictures.

I'm not sure which side of the fence you are falling on in this respect. A complete CG film is a much bigger risk to take. And, last I heard, FF and Square were still very much alive, even if Square Pictures dissolved. In fact, that's a good link. The Sprits Within bombed horribly, yet I didn't hear of any burning their FF games or their PS2s in effigy. It seems to me that most people try to simply ignore that Spirits Within even existed these days then somehow despise the entire FF franchise.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, who needs a big-time distributor anyway? Raise the money, shoot the movie with Greenfield as director, then ADV can handle their own straight-to-dvd release. I see truckloads of money rolling to ADV in that scenario.

I have a vision involving money and the live-action Evangelion movie too.

It involves a large toilet with a sign saying "Insert money here" and ADV jiggling the handle.

Funnily enough, I had the exact same vision when ADV started the linear version of the Anime Network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5