• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fortune Magazine on ADV and Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
I look at it this way, I remember SEVERAL of the people who now deride fansubs and fandubs as huge fans of them back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Amazing was some $ in your pocket will do to your opinions.

If it's piracy then you'll hear complaints from me when the company that licenses it hands you a cease and desist order, but when I hear someone from a major anime company make some of the blanket statements that came out during this past Otakon, then I have to draw the line (especially since he and I both grabbed Artic Anime's sub of "Record of the Lodoss War" back in early 1991 at college)

<ahem> sorry, went on a tangent there... done now Smile
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
I look at it this way, I remember SEVERAL of the people who now deride fansubs and fandubs as huge fans of them back in the late 80s and early 90s.

And back then they actually served a good purpose. They helped create a fandom, and an industry that prospers today. These days though, the rules have changed. While some stick to the traditional subbing ways, many others could care less and continue to distribute licensed and released series. That would not have happened in the days you are referring to, at least not on the scale it does today.

Yoda117 wrote:
Amazing was some $ in your pocket will do to your opinions.

Funny, for whatever talk companies might give about fansubs, few do much of anything about them, and the ones that do something, do the minimum necessary. None of the companies are in a rage to destroy the fansubbing community, because they use it for market research and free promotion.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Funny, for whatever talk companies might give about fansubs, few do much of anything about them, and the ones that do something, do the minimum necessary. None of the companies are in a rage to destroy the fansubbing community, because they use it for market research and free promotion.

In other words, the "first rule of fansubbers" as mentioned in that "news" article is not an accurate statement. It almost seems that the magazine just printed exactly what ADV said without examining the issue through another source.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:

In other words, the "first rule of fansubbers" as mentioned in that "news" article is not an accurate statement. It almost seems that the magazine just printed exactly what ADV said without examining the issue through another source.

If you'll notice in the article, they did talk to another source, one that happens to run a site that is a very large database of torrent links. The "first rule" is one followed by the fansubbers themselves. The companies will make a big stink about fansubs if they have to, but it's a fine line they walk. They don't want to piss off the fans, and they also don't want to let money slip away. The market research and free exposure mainly comes before a series gets licensed in the US. Generally speaking, if you follow the very basic "rules" that have been practiced for quite some time and take down fansubs once a series has been licensed, you won't hear a thing about fansubs from the companies. There are several sites that have operated for years with no interference from US companies because they follow these rules. Of course, before they are licensed, they don't really have the ledgal standing to do anything, just the Japanese copyright holder.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I didn't mean "another source" as a fansubber. Rather, I think that it would have been better for the magazine to have talked to another American licensor like Bandai, Geneon, or Media Blasters.
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

A bit ominously there have been grumbles about fansubbing pushing up the prices of many licenses. At least one company has claimed that the reason it took so long for Naruto to be licensed was that nobody could afford the asking price. This would fly in the face of assertions that fansubs hasten licensing of quality shows. But I think it's churlish to blame fansubbers for the simple fact that the Japanese have also learnt to use fansubbing for market research. It basically means they have a better idea of what can be asked, which levels out the positions at the negotiating table.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
This would fly in the face of assertions that fansubs hasten licensing of quality shows.

Indeed. Except for that for every Naruto, there are several other quality (which shouldn't be mistaken for insanely popular) shows that are licensed fairly early in their run.

Gauss wrote:
It basically means they have a better idea of what can be asked, which levels out the positions at the negotiating table.

Certainly. If you have something that you can demonstrate is as popular as Naruto, for instance, on the fansub circuit, you hold a pretty big bargaining chip.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the article. Lots to say. Didn't realize ADV films was as big as it was.

I really hope that they get the chance to get the 'Evangelion' movie up and running. Because if it flops their butts could be in trouble. Sad Then probably not. Hell, 'Square-Enix' took some big losses when they released 'FF:Spirits Within'.

We'll see. Good write up. Some typos but good write up nonetheless.
ladholyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Needs more Aria. Needs more Akatsuki, Akira, Akari, Aika, Alice, Athena, and Albert. Jeez ADV what are you guys doing?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a good article. Obviously swayed, but that is the point of an interview. A bit long, but it managed to keep my interest all the same. The title though - Profitmon?! C'mon people.

Quote:
runs it through BitTorrent, a piece of software that allows large files to be downloaded quickly
For some reason, anything done via BT is done at less than 15kps, while anything done via direct download is done at 300kps. I must not be doing this right.
As for the part about the removal of fansubs from an established site, that unfortunatelely doesn't happen. Now I'm obviously not part of the fansub community in any way, and I can only infer from the conversations of friends that this isn't always the case. Heck, I doubt VIZ even gives that once they license a series that was scanlated, it stays online scanlated. They just don't appear on the flashy pages. Or they appear under the "licensed titles" section of a site.

Quote:
Taylor took a proposed producer of the Evangelion film out to lunch to see if he couldn't jump-start production, now that the project has raised about half of the $100 million to $120 million Ledford estimates he needs to make this movie right.
Well they better think up of a good advertising plan, because they ain't making up for losses through DVD sales of other titles. The prices would go through the roof. Well they got a good company to do the special effects, but I wonder how well the actual thing may turn out? 120 million is a lot of money, but I don't know, how much does a Hollywood movie cost?
Quote:
As connected as he is, one word of advice to fans looking for some early-morning face time with Ledford: He now lives in a big house in a gated community. With an excellent alarm system. And a gun.
While I don't see the point of that last part, I guess a gun-toting anime fan isn't that strange.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2