• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
(aka) Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai

I had a couple of doubts at first as to whether or not this would be a faithful adaption to the manga(there are dozens of chances to this into fanservice hel*. However the first episode impressed me. A very good adaption of the first chapter, great animation, and a pretty good musical score so far. My only complaint was that Keima's seiyuu sounded a bit awkwards at times, but I think he'll get into the role over time.

I highly recommend watching it. It's an interesting romance series that breaks away from the usual harem and fanservice tropes that plague it.

[EDIT: Added they Encyclopedia link for you. -TK]
[EDIT2: Fixed the translation. -TK]
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
i had no idea what to expect when going into this show. first thing i saw was an incredibly awesome op followed by a good story with some funny stuff. definitely looking forward to seeing how this show turns out considering the hype that had been surrounding it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Since I been reading the manga for several years already, I already know how the story will shape up later on. But I must say in full honesty, the visuals to the anime are quite exceptional. It is the kind of artwork that is typically seen in grade A anime or masterpiece anime titles. Which is fitting for TWOGK (The World only God knows), since I consider this series A+ material.

However, so far, the anime and manga aren't that different from each other. Without unleashing spoilers, the only difference is the nick name that the main character (Keima) is given. In the manga he is called Otame Gane and in the anime, he is called dweeb. Can't tell if that is a mistake on the translation or if it's meant to come out that way.

Other than that, the show is going quite well. The visuals are crisp and appealing, Keima and Elsee (her short name in katakana) still have their quirks, so it's all good. I look forward to episode two and the rest of the series.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
(It's "The world God Only Knows!" It's like in English everywhere)

"I can see the ending"
*faints at the awesomeness*

So this is the show that everybody was looking forward to and already has a second season even though the show didn't start. I must say, I was very entertained. From what I heard about Keima, he sounded like a complete dick, but he seemed very likable here. I think this premise has a lot of potential. Not exactly sure why but the whole thing seems too unique to be any kind of harem but still fits the bill of still being enjoyable entertainment. I will follow this on CR wholeheartedly.

OP was awesome. Completely in English and spasmic and everything. And for some reason, I really really paid attention to the background music.

(Oh my god, the guy playing Keima is in like everything.)
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I was very impressed with this show all around. As someone mentioned already from the get-go the intro is very well done, it really surprised me since i had no idea what to expect of the show. The drawing style i really enjoyed as well, and the premise went a completely different direction than i expected it from the brief summary. The main character with his obsession was more fun than i expected and his way of relating the real world with the gaming world was really funny, also he seems like an interesting character to develop after this first episode. Im not if the show will go the harem route or how it will approach it due to spoiler[ the girl not remembering the whole "conquest" events, she might retain the feelings from it though. ]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I am honestly surprised at the love this series is getting, as I have found it to be the most disappointing series so far this season.

I am not concerned about how accurately or not it represents the source material - but if it does, then I guess my complaints mostly belong to the manga. I found the first episode shallow, gimmicky, ridiculously silly, and grossly oversimplified; basically, I felt it took the weakest possible approach to what could have been an interesting concept. While the first episode is not terrible, that's enough reason for it to be a Fail for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I've known about the manga for a long time now, as the one anime blog I follow will reference it not infrequently, but despite how much the blogger loves it, I never got the impression that it would be quite so blissful for me. I managed to watch the first episode without any particular expectations, and I enjoyed it well enough. I wasn't really expecting it to be a subversive critique of that particular type of otaku, but rather interpreted that as this series' hook to make it stand out from other harem comedies. That Keima is (or starts off, at least) specifically uninterested in girls is at least different enough to keep me watching, and that his character is observant enough to pick up the important details when he does actually try to reach the girl shows it has some heart to it.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I, too, found the first episode to be okay; not fantastic but definitely not disappointing either. The concept was silly but amusing, and considering he managed to get to the girl in the one episode, it still managed to be surprisingly warm in the scene where it happened. That said, skull-girl was still... erm.. yeah. I'm not a fan of floating magic scarves; they're right up there with gravity defying hair and ridiculous clothing in anime cliches that I don't like at all. At least her scarf is actually magic.

But yeah, I got a good laugh at the shorts being turned into bloomers, and there were bits of comedy gold like that littered through it, so if it keeps up as in this episode I'll be happy. Although... "I can see the ending" already. I don't imagine the series will be all that unpredictable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am honestly surprised at the love this series is getting, as I have found it to be the most disappointing series so far this season.

I am not concerned about how accurately or not it represents the source material - but if it does, then I guess my complaints mostly belong to the manga. I found the first episode shallow, gimmicky, ridiculously silly, and grossly oversimplified; basically, I felt it took the weakest possible approach to what could have been an interesting concept. While the first episode is not terrible, that's enough reason for it to be a Fail for me.

I respect and think your opinion is valid Key, but it's only the first episode. With a series like this, you have to start slow, like they did with the manga. It's the second-and third episode that propel this series forward and from that point, the series continues to become better and better and in fact, even better.

Keima does have any airs, he doesn't like 2D women, being bothered with playing video games and didn't choose to be a hero. He saw the message as a challenge and accepted it as a gamer and knew he could tackle the challenge. Unlike other shows, it's not just a image, he really likes video game women more than real women and uses the strategies he devises in the games he plays towards the challenges he faces.

How many character's are like that in anime? Limited if any at all. Yes, Keima starts out as brash, but in every challenge, he always finds the right ending and conquers the challenge.

I've been reading the manga since day one and not once have I ever been disappointed. Sure, it may not always be hilarious and may not always be ultra serious, but Keima does use realistic game strategy's that if I were playing a sim game, I'd probably use as well.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The only thing your review is missing is blaming TWGOK for not stopping all the wars in the world. You're not even judging the show for what it is but for what you think it should've been. Pity it's not a masterpiece like Asobi lol and really TLR 3.5? tlr motte shaping up to be a masterpice like Asobi as well hey?
sonicdahedgie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
I have read through a good bit of the manga, and I've got to say that I was a bit underwhelmed by the anime. It was by no means bad, but my absolute favorite part of the manga was left out. Usually, he has such ridiculous poses and over the top expressions. He's as fabulous as Lelouch in Code Geass.

The entire episode of the anime I was waiting for the line, "I can see the ending." I couldn't wait to see his "Just as planned!" expression, but it ended up not being that funny.

However, I'm definitely going to keep track of this show. It's still a good show, and the pacing should be better from here on out.

For those of you that care, I believe I heard that the show will cover three more girls in the next 11 episodes.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
Wasn't sure what to expect from the show, but I think its decent so far. The plot is interesting enough, and I like Keima and how he approaches winning the hearts of girls.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Wow, Key, normally I tend to be very in synch with your reviews, but we couldn't be more divergent on this one. Not Carl Kimlinger Death Note divergent, but close. I loved the eppie. I haven't read any of the manga, so I reacted only to what I saw on screen. I loved the premise and the humour. I thought Hell Girl was adorable (I love how they signify her demon status by that cute Death's Head hair clip). I had worried about the fact that he'd be making girls fall in love with him every episode, assuming that would mean heartbreak for past "conquests" but then spoiler[they took care of that by indicating the girls will have no memory of being won over - perfect!] My only question is why Hell would care that "loose souls" are running around trying to commit evil deeds in the first place.

Key, be honest - you were on drugs when you watched this, right? Wink

eta: actually, just went and read your preview, Key (my comments above were in reaction to what you wrote in this thread). From what I can see, you have committed a cardinal sin of reviewing: you reviewed a show that doesn't exist: i.e. the one you wanted in your head. Welcome to the N.H.K? Come on, man, I love that show but God Only Knows is clearly going after a totally different comedic vibe. This is "apples are bad because they don't taste like oranges" school of reviewing and it really blows. I'm particularly surprised that you of all reviewers would fall into this trap, because normally you do seem try to take into account what the creators were intending - I've seen you give a show different grades depending on what the viewers attitudes going in might be.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's my real problem with Key's review.

The worst kind of review you can do is basically have it amount to "this isn't the show I wanted it to be. Therefore it sucks." All the problems you have with it are just you saying how much you wanted it to be something else and that's just really sad to read because we usually agree on the shows we like.

You're not judging the show as is, you're judging it by your own thoughts of it's production and intent.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
I can't say it was disappointing because I wasn't expecting much. However, I heard it would be a show that goes beyond standard jokes, so far it hasn't convinced me of anything like that. Designs are pretty generic... the "conquest" part didn't really catch my attention, either. I also heard the main character is cool - as someone said here, akin to Lelouch - but so far he doesn't impress.
But then it's only been one episode. Too early to judge. Let's hope it'll "break away" soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24