• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Schedules So-Ra-No-Wo-To/Sound of the Sky in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Finally, and the price is definitely right at 14 episodes and a book for only $37.49 on Right Stuf. Looking forward to owning this one even if I have already watched it on Crunchyroll.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MahoMana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Glad to finally see a release date for this anime. I absolutely loved it!

Too bad original soundtrack was not included. In my opinion, it had one of the best symphony tracks in all of anime.

Also, I think this show would have been a great candidate for a dub.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
This, I shall get!

Though never seen it before, I like the artwork that's same as K-ON!.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Well, it's only the front page of their catalog.... Confused
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
MahoMana wrote:
Glad to finally see a release date for this anime. I absolutely loved it!

Too bad original soundtrack was not included. In my opinion, it had one of the best symphony tracks in all of anime.

Also, I think this show would have been a great candidate for a dub.

You know, I never thought of looking for the soundtrack. That sounds like a good idea, CDJapan is always good for such things.

Dub? Yeah, it would be nice, but in today's anime sales climate, more likely than not, it's not gonna happen. Someone else asked for blu-ray in the news release posting, (which I would also love) but that would probably result in fewer sales than the dubs would. I'm just grateful that we are even getting this brought over to begin with.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Someone else asked for blu-ray in the news release posting, (which I would also love) but that would probably result in fewer sales than the dubs would. I'm just grateful that we are even getting this brought over to begin with.

I am also utterly, terribly disappointed that there's no Blu-ray version. So ironically despite this being a "limited-edition" premium set, you'll get better quality watching on Crunchyroll if you're a subscriber. And I disagree that BD won't sell. I think it will just as much, if not more for this, especially since RS/Nozomi targets the "collector" / premium market. They are selling it for $37.49 and I would gladly pay $70 for the BD. In addition, Funi has stated themselves that they also see good bluray sales and BD releases has picked up for everyone else (very much so with Sentai and Media Blasters, who expressed reluctance before but are now starting with 2 titles right off the bat).

The only reason I can think of preventing a Sora no Woto bluray release is that it is prohibitively much more costly to license, the same reason why I presume some Funi titles are dvd only (like Sacred Blacksmith for example; I'm sure they'd love to release a BD as well like many of their other titles)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The only reason I can think of preventing a Sora no Woto bluray release is that it is prohibitively much more costly to license, the same reason why I presume some Funi titles are dvd only (like Sacred Blacksmith for example; I'm sure they'd love to release a BD as well like many of their other titles)

Or you know... it just costs more money to author BluRays than it does to author DVDs. I'm not sure why people never think of that.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Or you know... it just costs more money to author BluRays than it does to author DVDs.

Trying to remember the first or second AnnCast with Shawne Kleckner, I believe that the above comment gets pretty close to the gist of it. For a company like Nozomi to invest in the equipment needed to author blu-ray discs, you think they would need a pretty good guarantee that such equipment would pay for itself. And there certainly is no guarantee in selling anime dvd's nowadays.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Or you know... it just costs more money to author BluRays than it does to author DVDs. I'm not sure why people never think of that.

As far as the actual authoring goes (i.e. producing the master BDMV image) , not much more; it's also a one-time cost. And if it's in house, practically no difference. Also, just like DVDs, anyone can author bluray as the software itself is affordable. There is NO hardware involved in authoring itself. For replication, yes. And for analog video transfer (or mastering from tape or film) yes. But none of these shows now are analog. There are all in digital masters transferred electronically. Now there are extra commercial BD licensing costs, but still not much. There is an additional cost for disc production, if they also want to manufacture in house, but usually they'd a let a third party do that.
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
Nozomi is making a huge mistake here. If you are a real fan of the series there is no way you will buy the DVDs. I mean, this series aired in HD and the difference between the DVD SD quality and the BD 1080dpi quality is astronomical. This is a sad day for me. I hope that in a year or two some other company will release this in BD form.

And to all those who say that BD costs more to create...well sure it does. But you now what? DVDs also cost more than VHS tapes when they first appeared. New and better technology is always pricier. And while some series don't actually gain anything from being turned into BD (Full Metal Panic being a nice example) new series created in HD should de-facto be in BD. If anything the DVD version is the one that should be an option.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
I'll preorder this for now but keep my hopes up for a BD release.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
There's "no" money to be made in home video nowadays. Plus making a blu-ray for $60 a pop that a free fansub doesn't already give you, that may be too high to pay for a niche.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There's "no" money to be made in home video nowadays.
What? According to FUNi's Lance H., home video is still easily the most dominate moneymaker in the anime industry. I don't know where random peepz get off making statements like that. Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
If you are a real fan of the series there is no way you will buy the DVDs.

Nah, that's something a real fan would do. Whereas a leach would just horde fansubs. I'll most likely pick this up. I love the art on the box, particularly the one with Kanata bugling on top of that decrepit tank/mech.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
There's "no" money to be made in home video nowadays.

What? According to FUNi's Lance H., home video is still easily the most dominate moneymaker in the anime industry.

The N. American anime industry is mainly a home video industry, not much merchandise, "no" theaters, "no" TV, with some web streaming revenue coming in. Of course it's home video, but that's like the smartest kid in Class F. From home video alone, it makes them money, but anime companies would be just surviving paycheck-to-paycheck. That's not really "making" money. (Funimation can talk, because they're the only one making a decent living out of it right now, even though they're down to a $24M-worth company now - and that's an overvaluation because Gen Fukunaga and co. essentially bought themselves while nobody else was willing to pay that much.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2