• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Schedule Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
The thing that bothers me is the weekday regulars. I have nothing against Lupin III (though I have everything against s.CRY.ed), but if they're having ratings problems, those two titles ARE GOING TO MAKE THINGS WORSE! Then again, if repeats of FMA and Stand Alone Complex aren't getting decent enough ratings, I don't know what they CAN do....

Last time Lupin ran at the 1:30 a.m. slot, it got an average of 255,000 viewers according to Kim Manning of adult swim. Considering it was in constant reruns at the time, and it was running at 1:30 in the morning, those are very good numbers.

Lupin the 3rd is the only action show, aside from Cowboy Bebop, to be brought back to the schedule this often. It has to be doing well, which brings up the question of why they won't get new episodes.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one here that likes s-CRY-ed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wizard55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree, If the series keeps coming back and is doing fairly well for its time slot It would be nice if they could order new episodes. We've only got to see about 23 of the over 155? episodes in the 2nd series and I find that sad Sad
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't that interested in Scryed at first, but as it went on I began to like it more.

As for Lupin, I agree that they should definitely start showing some new episodes when it gets back into a decent timeslot (not 5am Razz).

As for showing premier episodes on the weeknights, it may make it hard for people to catch all the new stuff. Having it all on Saturday means you can watch it all at once (or set the VCR to record it all then). With new things showing on different nights, it's more likely that people won't remember to watch each night, or that they won't be able to stay up that late on the weeknights.
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
mlund wrote:
The Good: Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Inu Yasha

The Lame Sauce: Boondocks, S-CRY-ED, Evangelion

I'm not saying Eva is a bad show, but its kinda old and people have had a long, long time now to see it all. It is one of those things you are exposed to very early in watching anime, at least in my experience.

Well, I haven't seen it before because I never watched it on television and I never bought it on dvd. So I think Evangelion deserves to be there at least for a while for those who haven't seen it before.

Quote:
They also need quality content in a lot of other slots too, especially Sunday nights. American Dad just doesn't measure up to Family Guy and crap like Squidbillies, SeaLab, Venture Brothers, and 12 Oz. Mouse should've gotten someone fired.

American Dad is no Family Guy, I agree but there are certain episodes in which I do like American Dad and can say that it deserves to be there. Also, Venture Brothers I really think belongs there because it's like a parody off of Johnny Quest and I used to be a big fan of Johnny Quest and find this show to be absolutely funny. Some of the episodes can be a little stupid at times in my mind but for the most part I really enjoy the show.
The rest of them I'll tend to agree shouldn't be there... 12 Oz. Mouse completely bad graphics, nothing funny about it, and I just want to bang my head into a wall everytime I see it on T.V. Squdbillies I haven't even bother to watch it yet but I can tell I won't like it just because of what it's about. Sea lab I can see where some people may find it funny but I'm one of those who tend to think it's completly idiotic just for the jokes on the show are well...not in my taste I guess.

As for Outlaw Star I wished they would replay it but I don't know if they have the rights to it anymore. Outlaw Star is one of the,IMO, greatest animes out there and I think it got a little underrated because not many people I talk to (when they actually do watch toonami and AS) even know about outlaw star. Tenchi, I was a big fan for it in the beginning but because of time I couldn't always watch it and missed ALOT of episodes to the point I never understood what was going on. So, I wish they would replay it but I'm not holding any bets on it.

Also, No offense but I think cowboy bebop has been running a long time now and should be given up it's time slot so another anime can be placed in. Don't get me wrong I love Cowboy Bebop and think it's a great anime right next to Outlaw Star but I think it's run long enough on AS that something else should be played.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DaveJS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
I like s-CRY-ed! Very Happy

I don’t see what the problem is regarding s-CRY-ed. AS almost always airs a series that ends again during weekdays.

Now, taking Champloo off weekdays is a mistake. It’s obvious that Saturdays can’t survive without a comedy to pull in ratings (unfortunately) but an hour of comedy is really digressing here. Champloo should remain on Saturdays.
bebop26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
An hour of comedy on Saturdays?!

Well this is what adult swim gets for advertising nothing but The Boondocks, Squidbillies, and those "Sunday On Adult Swim" stuff. Comedy promos over-run Saturdays, and whats wrong with playing a mix of anime and comedy promos in one block instead of comedy promos for comedy and anime promos for anime?

Two InuYasha movies playing back to back? Thats cool, I may not be home Christmas Eve thought.

Its sad to see Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG pushed back an hour. *sigh* WATCH THESE PEOPLE!

Why exactly are InuYasha and Samurai Champloo premeires moving to weekdays? I thought Saturday was the premeir day. (except for Evangelion, which has premeirs on Thursday but re-runs on Saturday) Though it'll be good to see S-cry-ed and Lupin The 3rd on weekdays. (I like S-cry-ed btw, as well as Lupin The 3rd)

Also, remember CN doesn't have the rights to Outlaw Star or Tenchi series anymore, and they aren't interested in gaining them back. I will agree though, Fooly Cooly is a great series, but when you replay the series more than 2 times it gets old. FLCL is short... really, really short, and I still like it, but how many times can you watch FLCL in a role without getting bored of it. Just play it twice, and stop and bring it back 8 months later. I still like Cowboy Bebop too, but I wanna see Trigun back, and Wolfs Rain. (maybe Case Closed also)
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
CONSTENT RE-RUNS=BAD RATINGS

This really isnt a hard concept. Look at network TV. When they show a re-run, the ratings are down. Even if it is a popular show like CSI or when Friends was on. AS goes in cycles like this where they have very few premires and alot of re-runs. I kinda know what they are thinking.

AS mangement-"Ok people, lets sit down and think. Jimmy, stop pooping your pants and sit up like a big boy. Ok, ratings are down so what do we do. I got it, we show a premire every night, so that people will watch every night. I'm [expletive] brillient. This is as good as a idea, as was greenlighting 12oz mouse. What do your think, mindless drones.

Mindless Drones-"YES MASTER!

The simple soluation is to only show AS on saturday and sunday nights. I'm not joking either. As excited as I was to be able to watch anime every night of the week, the constent re-runs and there flakey scheduling is really starting to get annoying to me and proably to alot of you. Or, just show the comedy durring the week, and leave sat. and sun. to anime?
I'm just tossing out ideas now, but something has to change before the sh
ajm222

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I like s-CRY-ed too. It was like a predictable, overacted soap opera, but my brother and I liked it. It's also fun to laugh at them yelling "Ryuuhoooooooo!" and "Kazumaaaaaaaaa!" Laughing To be honest though, I've never seen an anime I didn't like, but that doesn't change the fact that I like it.

Anyway about the schedule changes, they suck, but I guess this is what VCRs are for. Wink
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, totally. Adult Swim has no idea what they are doing.

It's not like they're have any experince running a TV station, or getting good ratings, or increasing their audience ohwait.

Am I the only one that thinks that these points have occured to AS? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I'd agree, and have said nothing.

But they're still running 12 oz Mouse.

That should speak for itself. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
bebop26 wrote:
An hour of comedy on Saturdays?!

Well this is what adult swim gets for advertising nothing but The Boondocks, Squidbillies, and those "Sunday On Adult Swim" stuff. Comedy promos over-run Saturdays, and whats wrong with playing a mix of anime and comedy promos in one block instead of comedy promos for comedy and anime promos for anime?

The fact is, their Comedy lineup gets higher ratings than their Anime lineup. FMA still performs extremely well, but compared to their comedy lineup, it cowers. And whenever any mainstream publications mentions the success of [adult swim], they practically never mention the anime lineup, they always mention the comedy lineup.

I wish too that [adult swim] would stop giving the anime people the shaft, and that they should make better promos for some of their anime that they have already. I'm still waiting for my "Edward Elric: don't call him short" promo!

Quote:
Its sad to see Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG pushed back an hour. *sigh* WATCH THESE PEOPLE!

They had such a cushy timeslot too.... especially FMA with the crown-prince 11pm ET timeslot. Turns out it was very short-lived.

Quote:
Fooly Cooly is a great series, but when you replay the series more than 2 times it gets old. FLCL is short... really, really short, and I still like it, but how many times can you watch FLCL in a role without getting bored of it.

The alternative, of course, is to shell out the bucks for the DVDs, which are $30 (retail) for 2 episodes on each DVD. I like that they're putting back FLCL on a weekly basis. It's one of my favorite series, and I can never tire of watching it.

- J
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:

Yes.

General reply: I'm not upset because well, I haven't seen Evangelion yet and I am enjoying it being on Adult Swim. I like Ghost in the Shell and the Boondocks, while a good show, seems like a better fit over on Sunday Nights.

What I sorely miss is Paranioa Agent. One play and thats it? Just one shot? You need to see it twice to catch the story's complexity and a third to see all the subtile stuff.

FAWHOOOOSH!
BlackCassidy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent was given a run in the 1:30 slot during weekdays. I'm suprised that Blue Gender has only run once. Were the ratings really that bad?
RyoShin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
BlackCassidy wrote:
I'm suprised that Blue Gender has only run once.

Actually, it ran twice; I remember because I wanted to catch some episodes I had missed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5