• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Schedule Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrowv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
I've been a big fan of Scryed since it came out. Yea its got wierd soap opera type moments and makes you laugh at inappropriate times, but I still liked it. Though AS ended up with pretty butchered dialog. I'm still a bit shocked by the use of "You stupid idiot!!" screams in there. On the last ep they ran though, they actually started to use more creative language, but they could still do far better. But to be honest, the original dialog wasn't too good either...
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
Confused What is [as] doing!? They’ve gone from good, to bad, and now... it’s looking just plain ugly. I'm up for change, but sometimes things are better left unchanged. Whatever happened to the comedy opener with anime that followed. It seemed to be working pretty well for them.

Jgobats81886 wrote:
CONSTANT RE-RUNS=BAD RATINGS
This is why your rating are suffering [as]. I don't watch weekdays anymore because loosing sleep for shows that have been re-run over and over again like Aqua Teen, Birdman, Inuyasha, FMA, Futurama, and Family Guy isn't worth it anymore. Like many of you I have a life. To perform decently in work and school I need sleep. I'm not about to loose precious hours for a schedule that, besides Birdman, hasn't changed in months Anime dazed; and we’ve all seen birdman a thousand times anyway. If you like these shows you've either bought them already, or have watched them the last 50 times they've aired. Get it together [as], you really, really, need to re-run something else. Would it kill you to show something that hasn't aired in the last year?

Brakus wrote:

The fact is, their Comedy lineup gets higher ratings than their Anime lineup.
Brakus wrote:
They had such a cushy timeslot too.... especially FMA with the crown-prince 11pm ET timeslot. Turns out it was very short-lived.
As you stated the comedy rules the ratings. Anime, whatever it is, has done pretty poorly at the 11pm spot. It's no surprise to hear that the ratings for the rest of that night suffer as well. I thought they had learned this lesson a couple of times already Rolling Eyes. Slap in a Futurama episode, or here’s an idea, a Boondocks episode at the beginning of the line-up and the ratings will soar. (Ok, maybe not soar, but I can guarantee they will at improve.)

[as], all I can say is I'll just try to watch your new schedule as long as you just try to please your viewers Rolling Eyes.

Marty Lund wrote:
I'm not saying Eva is a bad show, but its kinda old and people have had a long, long time now to see it all.
I haven't seen it Wink.

RyoShin wrote:
Am I the only one here that likes s-CRY-ed?
I find it pretty entertaining. I don't think I like it enough to go so far as to buy it, but I've been watching it.

bebop26 wrote:
Its sad to see Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG pushed back an hour. *sigh* WATCH THESE PEOPLE!
I agree! From what I've seen on the 2 DVD releases of 2nd Gig it's everything I expected Cool; and I'm pretty hard to please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
djarch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:10 am Reply with quote
yeah, I remember when they were showing DragonBall Z late at night too. Those were the good ol days. It's true, the general consensus about [as] seems to be that their schedule is sucking. I can't help but agree.

And yes, we all hate 12 oz Mouse. It's a complete waste of time, as is Squidbillies and all of those other crappy Sunday shows that they seem to focus on. (With the exception of ATHF, and Home Movies) With that said, however, don't their comedy lineups generally do better than their anime lineups?

Can you imagine an [as] with comedy 6 nights a week and anime only 1 night a week? I'd never watch. Seriously.

I think it's awesome that they get to do Neon Genesis Evangelion proper, after the disaster that was -Giant Robot Week- and I don't mind them showing a show that's quite a few years old. I wish they had gotten the Platinum, but old eva is better than no eva, that's what I always say!

I don't believe for a second that [as] is truly lacking rerun material. If they showed an AWESOME line of reruns, I think I'd love to watch. What they're doing now, however, just has me forcing myself to watch, just to support anime on tv. It's almost heartbreaking.

I do believe, however, that they are lacking premiere material. All they have that really jumps out at me, are the second seasons of FMA and Gits: 2nd Gig. Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched, but I really seem to remember more new material being shown in the past.

I dunno, maybe it's just because I've seen all the shows already. :p
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:50 am Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
Henry Jones wrote:
The thing that bothers me is the weekday regulars. I have nothing against Lupin III (though I have everything against s.CRY.ed), but if they're having ratings problems, those two titles ARE GOING TO MAKE THINGS WORSE! Then again, if repeats of FMA and Stand Alone Complex aren't getting decent enough ratings, I don't know what they CAN do....

Last time Lupin ran at the 1:30 a.m. slot, it got an average of 255,000 viewers according to Kim Manning of adult swim. Considering it was in constant reruns at the time, and it was running at 1:30 in the morning, those are very good numbers.

Lupin the 3rd is the only action show, aside from Cowboy Bebop, to be brought back to the schedule this often. It has to be doing well, which brings up the question of why they won't get new episodes.

My bad. I hadn't seen the numbers for awhile. That makes more sense. And I guess s.CRY.ed makes some sense, too. It's just following AS' pattern of rerunning something after it finishes its run, or at least a season and maybe another cycle through. I don't see it lasting very long, though. It has fans, yes, but not enough to keep it afloat for much longer. That's what I think, at least. They may throw FMA back in a couple months down the line since it's a long enough series and have that in there along with something else to bide the time until they can cycle in reruns of Samurai Champloo and Second Gig.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
:
Jgobats81886 wrote:
CONSTANT RE-RUNS=BAD RATINGS
This is why your rating are suffering [as].

And oddly enough, Futurama and Family Guy are still usually the highest rated shows on the block.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
rrowv wrote:
I've been a big fan of Scryed since it came out. Yea its got wierd soap opera type moments and makes you laugh at inappropriate times, but I still liked it. Though AS ended up with pretty butchered dialog. I'm still a bit shocked by the use of "You stupid idiot!!" screams in there. On the last ep they ran though, they actually started to use more creative language, but they could still do far better. But to be honest, the original dialog wasn't too good either...

That's not AS's fault. They don't dub the anime, they just broadcast it.

Swordfish_II wrote:
And oddly enough, Futurama and Family Guy are still usually the highest rated shows on the block.

I have a feeling that most of those ratings are going towards Family Guy for 2 reasons:

1) FG is showing new episodes in addition to reruns.
2) FG is actually funny while Futurama spends time making lame jokes about Bender's "shiny metal ass" and has everyone screaming for no reason. Then they have that blonde military dude trying to act like he's cool and Bender acting like he's all that. And the show's been cancelled by Fox with no signs of ever returning. Good riddance. Let Family Guy continue to reign over that show.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
You're right about that. It's pretty sad that 2 shows, both of which have aired almost constantly since their introduction still get such high ratings (well, compared to the rest of the block).

It is inevitable however, that even their ratings will start to fall. In my opinion Futurama and Family Guy are two great shows, but one can only have so much before one feels saturated or full. It could be that the ratings are falling because people like me have had our fill; and ten times over at that! You see, because the line-up hasn't changed in so long, 11pm rolls around and instead of ‘tuning in’ to [as] I watch something else or pop in a DVD, read a book, or (here’s an idea) sleep. Then, when they finally bring something "new" into it, we've already seen it 20 or 30 times before (i.e. Aqua Teen, Inuyasha, FLCL, Birdman, Cowboy Bebop). What ever happened to Wolf's Rain, or any of the other many shows for that matter? The only thing I'm left to do is wait till they do something I like and then watch that. I'm even willing to bet they bring Sealab into the midnight spot when birdman is finished Rolling Eyes.

Last edited by Dagwood on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What they're doing now, however, just has me forcing myself to watch, just to support anime on tv.

Unless you've got a Nielson diary close by, why on earth would you do that? How are you "supporting" anime on TV in this manner?
emory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone starts saying AS is doing bad in the ratings, or says they're falling, take some time to read the media publications out there just to see how "bad" they're doing.

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_1523.asp (That's a weekly article. AS's code is ADSM)

http://www.turnerinfo.com/pressroom.aspx?P=CARTOON
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I stand mostly corrected Anime smile. Although, it should be noted that the shows that are doing really well are new comedies (save the old episodes of Family Guy) and not anime.
Quote:
Adult Swim scored nine of the top 50 programs with adults 18-34 for November among ad-supported basic cable—all presentations of Family Guy (11:30 p.m.) and The Boondocks (11 p.m.). Additionally, the service scored 16 of the Top 50 programs for the month with men 18-34, which included presentations of Family Guy, The Boondocks and Robot Chicken.
I wonder how the rest of the line-up is doing?

Idea I see, [as] has been doing pretty well with everyday except Saturday, therefore they feel the need to put premiers during the week, because in doing so the ratings might go up further. Even though this strategy will probably work, it still doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. As said before I'll just end up watching the premieres like always and (at this time) to hell with the rest until some other re-runs are scheduled.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The sad truth is, the average imbecile AS watcher would rather see a random Family Guy or Futurama repeat for the umpteenth time than watch some great new episodes of anime like Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or Samurai Champloo. It's sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
newtype[wired]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The sad truth is, the average imbecile AS watcher would rather see a random Family Guy or Futurama repeat for the umpteenth time than watch some great new episodes of anime like Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, or Samurai Champloo. It's sad.

To be perfectly honest i think the anime gets poor rating is because of the anime lovers out their that either are tired of the reruns / seen it all ready or they absolutly hate the dubing so they wont watch it, sadly some are like that.

So i can understand why family guy, futurama, and the other comedy stuff gets better ratings is because the non-anime people out their love the shows and i think they also have most of the people that follow the simpsons.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I think I need to start memorizing this now, because it's going to be annoying to keep track of things. I personally preferred to tape Saturday and get everything done, but a little inconvenience won't kill me. I hope we'll still have reruns of at least some shows, or else I'll be missing episodes everywhere.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't get it either but I would like to say they are showing new Family Guy episodes now but the thing is, Family Guy isn't golden anymore.

When every other joke is "Hey, remember that time I did that!?" + cut to Pop Culture Reference= Joke

It's gotten old, and for the abomination American Dad (Family Guy + Neo Con humor= garbage) I'm sending photocopies of my ass to Fox.

Ghost in The Shell is still amazing and Champloo is a bit shallow but the visuals make up for it (i guess) now, we get rid of Inu Yasha then we'll have it made in the shade.

FAWHOOOSH!
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
You know, for all the complaining you people do, you're lucky there's even any anime on Adult Swim at all.

You can whine and complain that Family Guy isn't fresh and that the Boondocks is "lame sauce" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) but the numbers don't lie: That's what butters their bread. Those shows score in the millions of viewers where as, on a really good night, anime pulls in what? 350K? Despite the ignorant and unresearched claims of "dropping ratings" and viewer disinterest, Adult Swim is doing extremely well for itself, and it could be argued that if they switched to an all comedy format, they could potentially increase revenue and ratings quite a bit, but they haven't done it yet.

What the anime community has yet to realize is that it's not nearly as powerful an entity as it thinks it is. I realize this might come as a shock to many of you, but you're probably not qualified to be the programming director for a cable network. They could stack the lineup with anime, sure. And they could loose a buttload of money, too. The anime doesn't do enough to warrant expanding it, and aside from proven properties, you have to understand that they're bound to be cautious about plopping down the money for a major license only to have it dissapoint (You know that wanted Champloo to be the next Cowboy Bebop, but it just wasn't.). And besides, anime as the pop-culture phenom flavor of the month has peaked.

So when you take into account the reality of the situation, you can see why A) Anime doesn't get a bigger push and B) Why they keep replaying the same stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5