• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Watch Words

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CAPCOM bills Breath of Fire 6 as a “simple touch-style online RPG.”

Wha-wha-WHAAAAAT???? WTF???? Are you serious???? Here I am sitting at home last week, thinking about BOF and wondering with the state of games I say to myself, "I wonder if Capcom will ever one day revisit BOF and make a new game?"
Then I come here today and I read this? So Capcom is going to take a series and do what Sqeenix has did with Final Fantasy? OMG!!

Well, when this game was popular at the time, and the amount of fans I could almost see this as a RPG because of the races you could choose from. But now...I'm almost curious to see how this idea will turn out. Maybe it could revive the franchise. I can only hope that's the plan but I doubt it is. But, we'll see.

Hate Plus, looks interesting that shot alone is pretty creepy.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't really defend the high price of Xenoblade at Gamestop as anything other than Gamestop being shitty.

Selling the new ones as used is deceptive and bogus. When did false demand ever help anyone?

I might be more inclined to judge their side a little more favorably if it were some company that was hurting for revenue in an industry that's small and niche (for example the anime industry), but it's Gamestop, which by all means doesn't need to do that with Xenoblade to turn a burgeoning profit every quarter, and has a long and sordid history of being very shitty and underhanded to the customer.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know Bandai signed on a toy deal for Danball Senki. I really hope the games come stateside; I played them in Japanese (PSP) and I enjoyed them quite a bit. Sure they're a bit too easy (most of the time) and the arenas are reused to insane levels, but battles are fast-paced and fun and it has some great music. If handled right, I think kids around here would love it.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
For the Toriko game, the title combines the words 'gourmet' and 'mega'. I would suggest 'Gourmet Mega Battle' as opposed to just having the 'ga' sticking out.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Nintendolife has an interesting article up about the Gamestop/Xenoblade thing. I myself think that it is 1) shady that Gamestop controls the supply of purchasable copies, and 2) very possible that Gamestop has not been "reprinting" new copies & selling as used at a mark-up, but rather that they have been hoarding copies of the game since launch and are just now releasing them to make a huge pay-off. Overall, it's the players that are getting robbed due to both the scarcity & price of such an awesome game.

~ Always love Recettear ~

The mass amount of (Japanese) franchises popping up on mobile/web game spaces doesn't bode well for the future. While artistic in their own right, even just the character designs for BoF6 make me want to scoop my eyes out with my Dragon Quarter case. Mobile/web is where good RPGs (usually) go to die.

Go play Analogue, then play its expansion/sequel. What are you waiting for? It's amazing! ......and if you are also a girl, you probably wont sleep for weeks like me after playing it.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Go play Analogue, then play its expansion/sequel. What are you waiting for? It's amazing! ......and if you are also a girl, you probably wont sleep for weeks like me after playing it.

Except for the part where despite doing all that "research" on ancient korea, she couldn't use two korean common family names like... Kim and.... Park, Cho, Yi, Lee but decided to settle with... Smith... because Smith sounds very korean. Hell she could've just wiki'd it too.

Oh there's also the fact that at no point can you read "Sick Daughter" as "Pale Bride" in any way shape or form through any combination of chinese characters. Clearly her right of artistic freedom simply overwrites the basic structure of other languages simply because she can plug her ears and go "lalala it's not my language, I can do what I want."

And then the various contradictions she makes regarding how women's emails are deleted upon reading (in a cheap attempt to incite emotion regarding the misogyny) and yet most of the archive has stored data written by females.

Going through that visual novel offended me, but not in the way she intended to.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware Gamestop was hoarding copies like that. For a while, used copies were $60, $10 more than new, now they're $90? Yikes! But I'll keep an eye out, see if it goes down.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I can't really defend the high price of Xenoblade at Gamestop as anything other than Gamestop being shitty.

Selling the new ones as used is deceptive and bogus. When did false demand ever help anyone?

I might be more inclined to judge their side a little more favorably if it were some company that was hurting for revenue in an industry that's small and niche (for example the anime industry), but it's Gamestop, which by all means doesn't need to do that with Xenoblade to turn a burgeoning profit every quarter, and has a long and sordid history of being very shitty and underhanded to the customer.

You pretty much summed how how I feel about the issue as well. However what pisses me off me is the exclusive deal game-stop got to be the only retail store to sell the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
And another fanbase goes down...

Capcom: Pissing fans for the last six years. Crying or Very sad
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
When did false demand ever help anyone?.

It'll probably help Gamestop when people pay 90 bucks for a 'used' game Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
They do this all the time with "rare" games. When Atlus re-printed SMT3, they gutted the copies and sold them as used so they could be higher. They are doing the same with Tales of Graces, opening new copies and selling them for an inflated price.

It sucks in Xenoblade's case because there are no other options and price is shady.

Frankly the game is great and everyone should play it. It's a shame there's a stupid barrier of entry now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
They do this all the time with "rare" games. When Atlus re-printed SMT3, they gutted the copies and sold them as used so they could be higher. They are doing the same with Tales of Graces, opening new copies and selling them for an inflated price.

It sucks in Xenoblade's case because there are no other options and price is shady.

Frankly the game is great and everyone should play it. It's a shame there's a stupid barrier of entry now.

It should be illegal in my opinion unless you are a 3rd party seller re-selling the game. Game-Stop is a 1st party business store and should be held to higher standard. It was a lot of love and care to get this game even localized which is why I'm so mad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Except for the part where despite doing all that "research" on ancient korea, she couldn't use two korean common family names like... Kim and.... Park, Cho, Yi, Lee but decided to settle with... Smith... because Smith sounds very korean. Hell she could've just wiki'd it too.

I thought the last name Smith was an interesting touch, suggesting not all the original crew members were Korean. Or to give early hits that some corruption had happen in the past of the ship. I highly doubt she picked Smith for lack of not knowing any other Korean family names.

I can see your other points but I don't necessarily agree with them. Well, maybe being kind of emotionally cheap but that is something that seems to work well on me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

It should be illegal in my opinion unless you are a 3rd party seller re-selling the game. Game-Stop is a 1st party business store and should be held to higher standard. It was a lot of love and care to get this game even localized which is why I'm so mad.

Didn't Gamestop help publish Xenoblade in America which is why they have exclusive rights to sell it? I don't see any problem with them charging what they want for a game they themselves own the rights to.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Didn't Gamestop help publish Xenoblade in America which is why they have exclusive rights to sell it? I don't see any problem with them charging what they want for a game they themselves own the rights to.

I don't care if they helped publish the game or not, Nintendo of america still had to give the game okay to be sold. NOA also helped published the game and sold it on their direct site and game-stop was the only retail chain allowed to sell it. I see a very huge problem with this way of conducting business.

Xenoblade more or less is getting re-printed, game-stop is opening them then labeled as pre-owned, then jacking up the price to make pure profit. This is a shi*** business practice that has been done before with re-prints of rare games. Take in account what happened before with fatal frame 2-3 and rez on the ps2 along with other rare games as well.

http://www.destructoid.com/duplicates-ordered-fatal-frame-ii-and-iii-reprinted-73779.phtml

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/17/game-quest-direct-and-the-secret-of-rare-game-reprints/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2