• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara Projected to Win 4th Term

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
How do ya guys think one party (the LDP) had controlled Japan (a democracy) for 99.9% of the last 6 decades since WW2? Confused

So, it was General MacArthurs fault then?

The Japanese favor authority, going back thru their history.
Other (democratic) countries like that include Russia.
If you have the power of authority, you're already ahead of the other candidates.
Ganryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
(As for anime restrictions, I echo the views of the old ANN podcast--modern shows have taken matters too far, and have become ridiculous. Shows like Freezing are a nationally-broadcast reminder of how Japanese society has fallen. They give this guy plenty of ammo to peddle his politics....also, Freezing could have been so much better if the darn show had simply put some class into its fanservice.)

I wouldn't have made this reply if it hadn't been for one phrase you used, though. I bolded it. You claim that Freezing shows how far the japanese society has fallen. Fallen from what? You claim that it has fallen, but isn't saying that the same thing that, say, the vatican would say if Poland legalized gay marriage? That the society has fallen? What did the conservatives say when women were allowed to wear pants? "Yay!"? I don't think so. I think they said something more along the lines of "Oh look how society has fallen".
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
More like the US goverment, that in the 20th century whenever they invaded another country, placed a leader that would be sympathetic to the USA.
Yes, because we instated a pro-American government in: Honduras, Cuba, Libya, Liberia, Somalia, Haiti, Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, or Grenada. (To name a few) Rolling Eyes Life would have been easier if we had, by far.

You might have sent some troops and/or fired your warships at said countries, but none except Grenada were invaded by the USA. After the Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan fiasco I wonder how come you still believe further invasions would have been in the best interest of your country's economy.

enurtsol wrote:
The Japanese favor authority, going back thru their history.
Other (democratic) countries like that include Russia.
If you have the power of authority, you're already ahead of the other candidates.

That is a fallacious statement. Democracy as a form of government has been very rare through humankind story and has never been practiced like in the late 20th century (where women and minorities had a right to vote). So any country with a history longer than two hundred years will not have had "anti-democratic" governments, yet I fail to see that as a cultural thing since back then most people did not had the chance to choose. Right now there is a big shift away from democracy and towards corporativism. In simple words, money rules us all.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
.....come some on in japan grow a pair and stand up for what you believe in. We as amercian' and citizens across the world can't do shit about this but come on you guys are the ones that can. Gahhaaa...... shit..... well enjoy what we have at the time and that's that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hectotane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
(As for anime restrictions, I echo the views of the old ANN podcast--modern shows have taken matters too far, and have become ridiculous. Shows like Freezing are a nationally-broadcast reminder of how Japanese society has fallen. They give this guy plenty of ammo to peddle his politics....also, Freezing could have been so much better if the darn show had simply put some class into its fanservice.)

Oh wow.
* "Old Guys Gets Re-elected By Old Folks."
* Otaku complain. (But have they taken their hatred to the polls?)
* Mention the anime "Freezing" and calling it a "classless fanservicy animu" for giving Ishihara ammo to peddle his politics.

Yes, but:

* Kodomi no Jikan (pedophilic mango / animu)
* Haruhi Suzumiya (franchise about keeping a female dog happy)
* The fact that the entertainment industry was basically selling adult material to minors.
* "2D >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3D (which is pig disgusting)"
* Artefact of Sankaku Complex talking about the jingoism of people like Ishihara and (not realizing that) he's doing the same thing.
* WHAT IDIOT PUTS NUCLEAR PLANTS IN AN AREA KNOWN FOR EARTHQUAKES AND TSUNAMIES??

I mean... You can be off in your own little world. But it'll be your fault when you come back when the world you left changes so much that you end up getting left out in the cold.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hectotane wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Oh wow.
* Mention the anime "Freezing" and calling it a "classless fanservicy animu" for giving Ishihara ammo to peddle his politics.

Yes, but:

* The fact that the entertainment industry was basically selling adult material to minors.
* Artefact of Sankaku Complex talking about the jingoism of people like Ishihara and (not realizing that) he's doing the same thing.
* WHAT IDIOT PUTS NUCLEAR PLANTS IN AN AREA KNOWN FOR EARTHQUAKES AND TSUNAMIES??

I mean... You can be off in your own little world. But it'll be your fault when you come back when the world you left changes so much that you end up getting left out in the cold.

...ouch but well hmm sankuka complex is just bad i wouldn't even use a link there if my life depended on it also good trolling man but i do agree if some wants something to change people need to get off their ass and make it so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Shows like Freezing are a nationally-broadcast reminder of how Japanese society has fallen.

Here comes the online version of Ishihara.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Shows like Freezing are a nationally-broadcast reminder of how Japanese society has fallen.

Ohh? Is your country that better off?

Hah. Who am I kidding? Of course not! Laughing

not sure about your opinon on freezing but japan feel with the release of boku no pico and all the squeals/merchandise is has
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? This is reminding me a lot of the whole Bush-Kerry election in 2004, simply based on the fact that even though many people don't like him he's still popular enough to get re-elected.

It's crap though. Why would you want to keep a politician in office who publicly said that a devastating natural disaster that horribly crippled your nation was "divine punishment?" It boggles my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, and people bitch about the two party system in America. It is not perfect, far from it. Still though, 2 is more than 1, which is pretty much what Japan has.

Last edited by Beatdigga on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
matrixdude

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I think it says something about Tokyo if they're willing to reelect the guy that tells them that the tsunami is their fault. Why Tokyo citizens? Why?
skchai1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
    According to polls, most Tokyo residents who have an opinion agree with the ordinance, especially the old folks whose population proportion is increasing and whose turnout % is larger.

The other parties have also supported the ordinance, other than as mentioned JCP.

He's a celebrity, smarter and less decent than the other candidates. Taiyo no Kisetsu won Japan's top literary prize and is considered by some a defining novel of the post-war era. I think it's closer to Brett Easton Ellis, but that's besides the point. Other than TNK, a number of his other novels have been turned into films. his brother Yujiro, who rose to fame on the first film, was the most popular actor in Japanese film history.

Some of the voters who agree his statements are crazy take a postmodern view of governance-as-entertainment. They realize his outrageous statements are deliberately meant to arouse anger from otaku and other groups - which is sadistically entertaining. He focuses his bile mostly on groups that don't have much organized power to retaliate, but not always. Think of him as the "troll of the people". Even though otaku are famously inert in elections - this would mean having to go to voting station and mix with people! - the publishing companies that depend on them have deep pockets (as opposed to the animation studios) and the means to strike back, but he always manages to sidestep - in this respect, the earthquake was a "blessing" for him because it allowed him to sidestep the competing expo showdown.

Yes, much of his own work could be banned according to municipal ordinances in other regions if they were enforced. Rather than hypocrisy, that's "entertainment". FI, this offhand explanations of why his work (casual rape, selling off your girlfriend, pushing penis through the shouji paper door - one of the most-parodied scenes in Japanese media content) is OK is great fodder for the weeklies and wide shows.

No, this is not unrealistically cynical. BTW, the governor one prior to Ishihara was Aoshima Yukio, a cross-dressing comedian.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hectotane wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Oh wow.

Yes, but:

What's wrong with Freezing and Kodomo no Jikan? I never watched Freezing, but I read Kodomo no Jikan. It's a nice series. and I like the fact it can be made in Japan, but it sure as hell isn't going to be made in America which is extremely puritan and prudish and treats sex as some evil act. If you don't like these series, that's fine, but some people do. Censorship is never a good thing; it stifles creativity on the basis that someone's opinion is more valid than another.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
After all the crap he said about the Tsunami he still got re-elected? WTF
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
After all the crap he said about the Tsunami he still got re-elected? WTF

this is relevant even thought it's a different country.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=814_1215886756
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6