• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara Projected to Win 4th Term

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
i am going to hell for this but radiation/kemo fights and helps cure cancer or lessen it.

And also gives us superpowers at times.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:

It shouldn't have been built there. You lost this argument, because the tsunami occurred there and created a catastrophe. So obviously a mistake was made. If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line. The fact people would defend this just amazes me, and the only defense is to start calling people hippies for something that went horrendously wrong. You may as well be arguing in favor of the citizens of Pompei to build their city next to the volano.

people complain after the fact is just stupid and no he didn't lose the argument. Just like most Americans who only complain after something happen. Example, like oil spill in the gulf. We need to stop complain about the spill and say how bad the design was.

build a city in New Orleans is a bad idea. Rebuild New Orleans is another bad idea. You will see more people die because of building a city in New Orleans than building nuclear plants in Tokyo.

Look at the map, there are nuclear plants that are not safe in US and around the world too. Life is all about risk.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:

It shouldn't have been built there. You lost this argument, because the tsunami occurred there and created a catastrophe. So obviously a mistake was made. If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line. The fact people would defend this just amazes me, and the only defense is to start calling people hippies for something that went horrendously wrong. You may as well be arguing in favor of the citizens of Pompei to build their city next to the volano.

people complain after the fact is just stupid and no he didn't lose the argument. Just like most Americans who only complain after something happen. Example, like oil spill in the gulf. We need to stop complain about the spill and say how bad the design was.

build a city in New Orleans is a bad idea. Rebuild New Orleans is another bad idea. You will see more people die because of building a city in New Orleans than building nuclear plants in Tokyo.

Look at the map, there are nuclear plants that are not safe in US and around the world too. Life is all about risk.

It's called accountability. If you don't complain and hold people accountable for stupid things done that kill people, things will only get worse and history will be repeated. Some of you people sound like anarchists. And as far as the US, there are a lot of people concerned about that right now. Especially the plant in New York. The stupid thing to do is to just ignore obvious problems like you are suggesting and wait to die at any random time becuase you don't think government has the responbility of protecting its citizens.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
The Japanese favor authority, going back thru their history.
Other (democratic) countries like that include Russia.
If you have the power of authority, you're already ahead of the other candidates.

That is a fallacious statement. Democracy as a form of government has been very rare through humankind story and has never been practiced like in the late 20th century (where women and minorities had a right to vote). So any country with a history longer than two hundred years will not have had "anti-democratic" governments, yet I fail to see that as a cultural thing since back then most people did not had the chance to choose.

What's fallacious? This is not about democracy. Granted, Russia has only had 2 decades of democracy, while Japan has 60 years, but this is about authority, not democracy. There are other democracies younger than Japan who are more cynical of authority - they are leery of the state running aspects of their lives. That's why old men keep getting re-elected in Japanese government - just the average age is already around 70 years old.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What's fallacious? This is not about democracy. Granted, Russia has only had 2 decades of democracy, while Japan has 60 years, but this is about authority, not democracy.

You should have set a time frame for your statement :-p Saying it is about authority is like saying there is a fire without pointint the source of it. So in the 1930s Germany was attracted to autoritative figures, same thing happened in Venezuela ten years ago and it is happening ATM in Tokyo, but I bet the reason behind that choice is quite different in the three scenarios.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
What's fallacious? This is not about democracy. Granted, Russia has only had 2 decades of democracy, while Japan has 60 years, but this is about authority, not democracy.

You should have set a time frame for your statement :-p Saying it is about authority is like saying there is a fire without pointint the source of it. So in the 1930s Germany was attracted to autoritative figures, same thing happened in Venezuela ten years ago and it is happening ATM in Tokyo, but I bet the reason behind that choice is quite different in the three scenarios.

Hmmm.......... maybe I should had...... yeah.....

Still, 6 decades of almost total LDP control! You would think they'd vote against the grain once in a while! Compared to 60 years, Ishihara being re-elected 3rd time in a row shouldn't be a surpise. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kamikaze: Well, you have to realize it's not even the majority of voters who go to the polls who voted for him. Most Japanese citizens probably have more pressing issues than showing up a loud-mouthed dickhead politician.

Brent: Because everyone's there too worried about heating and electricity to be focused on taking a symbolic stand?

Echo: Actually, the TP'ers "won" because the youth were so disappointed at the Dems for their half-baked "solutions" to corporate fraud and political influence, that they just dropped out of the '010 elections. Plus, let's be honest here. That BP spill made Obama look really bad, given that he campaigned on some accountability. Otherwise, the TP'ers are actually a minority under most circumstances. And the nuclear leak is basically the DPJ's BP moment. Yeah, Obama and the DPJ inherited these problems, but they should've been tackled a lot sooner.

Quote:
Just because they're impeccably polite to a foreigner, say, doesn't mean that they aren't extreme jingoists who reflect that at the polls.

FFS, man, do you not get that this is not an ordinary situation, and that the average Japanese person on the street over there has no time for making pointless political statements? I mean, they're having trouble just building cars over there, not to mention worrying about whether or not the food and drink they're consuming is still safe to digest. You think they're going to give a flying f**k what some bat-shit guy with little influence on their daily lives thinks?

Uzumaki: Um, Bush wasn't "elected". Halliburton just chose him. Rolling Eyes

lewis: Is that 39% of the people who are eligible to vote, or 39% of voters? Because there's a difference.
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
This news makes me ill. I hope he's screws up somewhere along the line and is forced to leave public office. Dang 70 year old relics are the only people going to polls in large numbers. Mad
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line.

That's impossible. The entire coastline of Japan was created by fault lines.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I call Godwin's Law.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Just because they're impeccably polite to a foreigner, say, doesn't mean that they aren't extreme jingoists who reflect that at the polls.

FFS, man, do you not get that this is not an ordinary situation, and that the average Japanese person on the street over there has no time for making pointless political statements?

Japanese young adults are notorious for not following any politics at all. They just don't care. So the OGs always dominate. Confused
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

I call Godwin's Law.

"Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Hitler or Nazis or their actions. The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering ... discussion of other totalitarian regimes"

Sorry, better luck next time.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line.

That's impossible. The entire coastline of Japan was created by fault lines.

No kidding. Millions of years ago. Again go check a map with the active fault lines on it. There's parts of the country that would not be hit by a tsunami this millenium. It's a fact. Ok, here is the map: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cezFPzmviuI/TEpHw2EaMII/AAAAAAAAJTY/UBFCJp6jirk/s1600/Japan+fault+lines.bmp
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

I call Godwin's Law.

"Godwin's law applies especially to inappropriate, inordinate, or hyperbolic comparisons of other situations (or one's opponent) with Hitler or Nazis or their actions. The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering ... discussion of other totalitarian regimes"

Sorry, better luck next time.

It counts, seeing he's referencing a specific time frame and country.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
shokenchi wrote:
its pretty simple. because majority of tokyo thinks like him.
correction: The majority of people in Tokyo who voted like him. Heaven help those in the minority of voters against him and the poor fools who didn't vote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6