• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Comi: 'Purify' File-Shared Manga with Authorized Ads

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
Genius!

EDIT: Hope that it would work. And are there list of manga that are still in circulation (ineligible for this project)? It's difficult to determine which is which.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
So the mangaka will be able to collect revenue for their 'dead' manga and J-comi will be able to get money from the ads on the site (not the ones on the manga scans).

And the readers get free manga.

Who came up with this is smart... I hope the project is a success Anime smile
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
ATTENTION MARVEL AND DC: THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE MONEY TODAY!

Seriously, if they had half a mind, they would post all the Golden/Silver Age crap in their library just like this. This is pretty brilliant.
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
this is...not a bad idea...
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Ha ha! I love how he's experimenting so much with this site in such cool ways.

I really hope it all works out.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Wonderful idea! Giving people a chance to read titles they missed out or weren't born yet a long time ago on series that have already been finished and not reprinted. Also would like to see this happen for comics too. Money given in those ways really help to support the creators and such.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Seriously, if they had half a mind, they would post all the Golden/Silver Age crap in their library just like this. This is pretty brilliant.

http://marvel.com/digital_comics Marvel's been doing that, and are making money at it. Just with a really lowcost subcription fee and thousands of comics. They've had assorted promotions for trial subscriptions if you're interested- one with Dr.Pepper at the moment.

If you subscribe fora year, you get an exclusive action figure.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
Hey Akamatsu! I'm not really a fan of your work, but I am a HUGE FAN of your ideas!

That guy might be a little over-ambitious, but that really helps to balance the complete void of ambition from everyone else.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Akamatsu...I'm honestly not a huge fan of your works...but you're a genius. I really hope people jump on board with you, 'cause this could really work. Shocked
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well its a good idea
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

http://marvel.com/digital_comics Marvel's been doing that, and are making money at it. Just with a really lowcost subcription fee and thousands of comics. They've had assorted promotions for trial subscriptions if you're interested- one with Dr.Pepper at the moment.

If you subscribe fora year, you get an exclusive action figure.

Ah. We learn something every day.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
i would love to see this really. It's hard enough to obtain so many old manga's as it is and this is great start for those who want to read the classics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anigema

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
So any site that has the chapters uploaded through a different scanlator is technically illegal then? This is a great idea, is there a full English translation of his site, that will be used so Americans can read and download the chapters without having to translate everything? This is a great idea by Mr. Akamatsu, I hope it works out well!!
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Wait, am I reading this right?

1) You find a scan some fan put on the internet, something that a fan group took the time to actually scan, format, etc.

2) You send it, hopefully anonymously, to this website to be "purified".

3) That website, upon getting the Content Owners' approval, will put its own ads on the work you sent in, getting money from the works of others.

In effect, this site will use the hard work of fan groups, and "illegal" content, to make money with no real effort? If so, that still doesn't seem very upstanding, which one would think a venture ranting about purity and such would be all about.

Even if this "J-Comi" does give all the ad money from the "purified" comics to the Content Owners, "J-Comi" will still get all of the revenue that the visitors seeking the illegal content will bring in. (i.e. revenue from the home page, the search page, the results page, etc). Also, the Content Creators are then giving their OK for copies of their work--made by unlicensed people--to be legally disseminated. That feels a bit cheap, and unprecedented. Companies generally don't do that--Gucci doesn't give people who market imitation handbags their seal of approval, Microsoft doesn't smile upon those who crack and pirate their software, etc.

Money for nothing...maybe I'm just jealous because I didn't think of it first.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

In effect, this site will use the hard work of fan groups, and "illegal" content, to make money with no real effort? If so, that still doesn't seem very upstanding, which one would think a venture ranting about purity and such would be all about.

Money for nothing...maybe I'm just jealous because I didn't think of it first.

Haha, well, if ya think about it this way:

The scanlators were supposed to have done it for the love of [insert manga], right? So what better way to express their appreciation to its manga creator than to provide him/her income from it - and they didn't even have to pay for the license! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2