• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Seeks Actress

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
GATSU wrote:
It could be T4, True Lies 2, or Alien 5, for all we know. Or if he's really moved down a notch in his career, a videogame.

Heck, it could be ANY generic "action film" project. It describes the Aeon Flux movie, and Cameron didn't direct that. It probably also describes his short-lived TV series "Dark Angel".

(imitates Muttley laughing)

In any case, it's a surefire bet that Cameron's "version" will likely be one of those "adaptations" that isn't really an "adaptation", but just another generic action film project that's been done a "Godzillion" times, and probably only exists for the purpose of male affirmation...all by a Hollywood director who (likely) doesn't know what he's talking about, and who (probably) thinks that the viewers won't know the difference (Does he even know what the "Battle Angel Alita's original Japanese title is?).

Also, let's not forget that this isn't the first time that has been an American live-action film based on a Japanese manga ("Hokuto no Ken", and "Guyver" were two such subjects).

(All of the above [after my Muttley imitation] assumes of course, that the movie in question is in fact "Gunnm" [sp?])

Were you smoking some crack when you posted that rant? Cameron is one of the few directors you'd want directing an anime project, and his sci-fi productions are always top notch (Aliens, Terminator 1 and 2, The Abyss-bam, bam, bam).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
Jimmy's talented, but washed up. I wonder if he'll be able to save sci-fi from the box office slump or just be a part of it, because it's taking the biggest hit, thanks to crapfests like Serenity and Aeon Flux.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Jimmy's talented, but washed up. I wonder if he'll be able to save sci-fi from the box office slump or just be a part of it, because it's taking the biggest hit, thanks to crapfests like Serenity and Aeon Flux.

At least Aeon Flux didn't take Peter Chung's "vision" and went with it. Charlize Theron looked okay and not borderline anorexic, but her acting in the movie.....eh.

I think what truely killed the movie was the whole Philosophical underlines in the movie.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wow, bitter much?

You're also completely wrong. Crazy uninformed kneejerk fanboy ranting like this really grinds my gears.

Cameron is the most widely-respected director in the business and is absolutely obsessed with detail. The best actors in the business go out of their way to work with him.

The man has seen the anime and has read the entire run of the comics. He knows what he's doing and should be trusted to make an excellent film more than any other director working today.

I like how you automatically assume that a highly respected and massively successful professional, known for his obsession with detail, knows nothing and you know everything.

"Crazy uninformed kneejerk fanboy ranting", is it?

First of all, I'm nothing of the sort (nor do I suggest that I "know everything"). Second, okay, so he's read the manga and seen the anime (How was I supposed to know anything? I follow manga and anime, not Hollywood.). With all due respect to both him, and you, so what? An "adaptation" can do all the world's research on the subject, and could STILL be a generic film project; research isn't enough. Further, even if Mr. Cameron does know what he's talking about, and even if he does "know what he's doing", that doesn't necessarily mean his version will stay true to the source material; the movie could just be his personal vision of it (the source material). So what if he's "absolutely obsessed with detail"? Again, with all due respect, that doesn't mean anything. You can have any "widely-respected director in business", or in the world even, on a film project and it could still be a generic one that's been done "a godzillion times", as I've said.

Also, I don't really appreciate the flaming. I make it a point to be properly informed on such matters, but again, I don't follow Hollywood movies, so how was I supposed to know anything? Anyhow, I am truly sorry if I have been sounding pessimistic, skeptical, or even "fanboyish", but if it's one thing I've learned about Hollywood movies these days, it's that they tend to be advertised/promoted as one thing, when in fact the movie itself is another, and from the look of things, this film (assuming it's the one the casting call refers to) may or may not be any different. So you see, this isn't just about manga/anime, it's also about Hollywood film adaptations and their "accuracy" (or lack thereof)

One more thing, GUNNM is a seinen manga that, last I checked, appeared in Shueisha's "Ultra Jump". Does this mean that Mr. Cameron is going for an "R" rating (if he's "obsessed with detail")? Also, what does the original manga-ka have to say about it? It's just two simple questions, that's all.
beverins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
beverins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
If Cameron DOESN'T make it an R rating, and manage to capture the nihilistic and dystopian future environment, yet keep it warm and soulful with Gally, then I will lose all respect I have for the man.

From my reading of Battle Angel, she's the one of the few sparks of righteous humanity left in the cold and dismal world of this story. I trust that Cameron can deliver this in the middle of a hardcore action movie. I fully expect to see the propensity for people to be sliced like salami also displayed faithfully.

Twisted Evil
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

"Crazy uninformed kneejerk fanboy ranting", is it?

First of all, I'm nothing of the sort (nor do I suggest that I "know everything"). Second, okay, so he's read the manga and seen the anime (How was I supposed to know anything? I follow manga and anime, not Hollywood.). With all due respect to both him, and you, so what? An "adaptation" can do all the world's research on the subject, and could STILL be a generic film project; research isn't enough. Further, even if Mr. Cameron does know what he's talking about, and even if he does "know what he's doing", that doesn't necessarily mean his version will stay true to the source material; the movie could just be his personal vision of it (the source material). So what if he's "absolutely obsessed with detail"? Again, with all due respect, that doesn't mean anything. You can have any "widely-respected director in business", or in the world even, on a film project and it could still be a generic one that's been done "a godzillion times", as I've said.

Also, I don't really appreciate the flaming. I make it a point to be properly informed on such matters, but again, I don't follow Hollywood movies, so how was I supposed to know anything? Anyhow, I am truly sorry if I have been sounding pessimistic, skeptical, or even "fanboyish", but if it's one thing I've learned about Hollywood movies these days, it's that they tend to be advertised/promoted as one thing, when in fact the movie itself is another, and from the look of things, this film (assuming it's the one the casting call refers to) may or may not be any different. So you see, this isn't just about manga/anime, it's also about Hollywood film adaptations and their "accuracy" (or lack thereof)

One more thing, GUNNM is a seinen manga that, last I checked, appeared in Shueisha's "Ultra Jump". Does this mean that Mr. Cameron is going for an "R" rating (if he's "obsessed with detail")? Also, what does the original manga-ka have to say about it? It's just two simple questions, that's all.

So you watch anime and don't follow Hollywood, then uh.. ok, why are you in this topic?

Dude, you walked right into this one..... just say, "Yeah, ok ok I was smoking some crack when I posted that rant. My bad." and its over. No need to try to redeem your sorry self with lame excuses and messed up logic.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Fanboys always find the need to rant about Hollywood or domestic renditions of anime or manga, even going so far as to see ripoffs where they don't exist in some cases. Of course, they also fail to even so much as mention it when the roles are reversed and it is anime or manga that is making a title based off something domestic or could possibly be ripping off an idea. It's a two street, unfortunately some people like to treat it as a one way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I went back through all the interviews he gave that ANN lists with this movie... & in one he clearly states his intentions for this to be much lower than a 'R' rating... That alone is kinda confusing from everything I've seen in the series.

This like many other hollywood movies is based on a good idea... I just hope they don't ruin it.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately, I'm not a fanboy (nor am I accusing him of "ripping off" anything). Razz

And "ShaolinWolf", FYI, I say "no" to drugs. I am sorry if my post sounded "fanboyish" (that wasn't my intention), but I will not apologize like that. In any case, I was just stating a fact, unfortunate though it may be. Talent, and research don't equate to faithful film adaptations unless the film actually stays faithful to the source material, and seeing the description of who I presume to be the female lead, I believed that it could describe any action movie w/ a female in the lead role, including ones that "ames-Jay ameron-Cay" ("James Cameron" in pig-latin Razz) didn't direct (such as the two Tomb Raider's and the Aeon Flux movie). It sounded to me that that's how they plan to promote the film: using it's "sexy" female lead (whoever it will be) as the selling point; something I have seen time and time again. I imagine that this (Alita/Gally/whoever's looks, and grace) isn't the whole point of the manga-ka's (forget his name) original story. That is, it's not what originally has the whole original manga going for it, and so, I was afraid (there, I said it) that that was what the "King of the World"'s version was going to be like.

Maybe, (just maybe) I did jump the gun a little bit. That description was part of the casting call, I guess. However, after seeing the way generic, atypical action films are advertised/promoted, that's what I thought when I saw the description.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Talent, and research don't equate to faithful film adaptations unless the film actually stays faithful to the source material

Being slavishly "faithful" is not important and not a good way to make a movie.

Trying your best to make a good film that's based on the source material is. Fanboys point to Lord of the Rings as what happens when you're slavishly faithful, but those movies were excellent because they found that balance between staying "true" to the books and adapting it so it works as a movie people will actually want to watch. There were plenty of changes to the story, and all of them worked and maintained the themes, the tone, and the characters. That's what's important.

No matter what Cameron does with Battle Angel, the fans will still crap all over it and write huge internet posts cataloging every minor change and then act like pointing out the changes means he made a bad film, all with this high-and-mighty attitude. They might know about the comic, but they clearly know absolutely zero about how to make a good movie or how to adapt something for the screen.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Fortunately, I'm not a fanboy (nor am I accusing him of "ripping off" anything). Razz

And "ShaolinWolf", FYI, I say "no" to drugs. I am sorry if my post sounded "fanboyish" (that wasn't my intention), but I will not apologize like that. In any case, I was just stating a fact, unfortunate though it may be. Talent, and research don't equate to faithful film adaptations unless the film actually stays faithful to the source material, and seeing the description of who I presume to be the female lead, I believed that it could describe any action movie w/ a female in the lead role, including ones that "ames-Jay ameron-Cay" ("James Cameron" in pig-latin Razz) didn't direct (such as the two Tomb Raider's and the Aeon Flux movie). It sounded to me that that's how they plan to promote the film: using it's "sexy" female lead (whoever it will be) as the selling point; something I have seen time and time again. I imagine that this (Alita/Gally/whoever's looks, and grace) isn't the whole point of the manga-ka's (forget his name) original story. That is, it's not what originally has the whole original manga going for it, and so, I was afraid (there, I said it) that that was what the "King of the World"'s version was going to be like.

Maybe, (just maybe) I did jump the gun a little bit. That description was part of the casting call, I guess. However, after seeing the way generic, atypical action films are advertised/promoted, that's what I thought when I saw the description.

Make it stop, please.

The casting call is for an unknown female actress, and this is a good sign. If they wanted to advertise the movie the way you say then they would get someone from Charlie angels--someone with actual name recognition. They do these unknown casting calls so people can also focus on other aspects of the movie without comparing the actor's/actresses' other roles or by talking about their latest rumor. You have yet to get a single point correct.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Being slavishly "faithful" is not important and not a good way to make a movie.

Trying your best to make a good film that's based on the source material is. Fanboys point to Lord of the Rings as what happens when you're slavishly faithful, but those movies were excellent because they found that balance between staying "true" to the books and adapting it so it works as a movie people will actually want to watch. There were plenty of changes to the story, and all of them worked and maintained the themes, the tone, and the characters. That's what's important.

No matter what Cameron does with Battle Angel, the fans will still crap all over it and write huge internet posts cataloging every minor change and then act like pointing out the changes means he made a bad film, all with this high-and-mighty attitude. They might know about the comic, but they clearly know absolutely zero about how to make a good movie or how to adapt something for the screen.

You do make some good points. I have seen movie adaptations (none of them anime-related, unfortunately) that have taken some minor liberties, but were otherwise faithful to the original source material. (sigh) I guess I paniced when I saw the casting call description. However, you have to admit that some filmmakers actually take advantage of this, and rather then actually adapt something for the screen, they instead just simply throw together something of their own creation and put in recognizable characters and concepts in the hopes that viewers won't know the difference, regardless of how much talent they might have, and regardless of much research they have done. Are you saying that "Jim-bo" isn't like that?

Okay, as I am writing this post, I am looking at his entry on the IMDb (incidentally, there are 10 people with the name, but the first one is the one, I'm sure; see? I try to be informed). Apparently, this guy is a "triple threat" (produer, writer, and director). Anyhow, I don't see ANY adaptations (that I am aware of) that he has done, which means "Battle Angel" is his first adaptation (Incidentally, did he ever say who the main character's name is going to be? Gally? Alita? a name of his own choosing?).

In any case, I can only say "I'm sorry" so many times. The casting call description really can describe literally ANY action movie with a female lead. I paniced, and thought that's how they were promoting the movie (which apparently is 2 years off). I (partially) jumped the gun. I simply posted based on what I knew. Someone who is a "fanboy" simply posts out of ignorance and laziness. I am not like that. I am sorry if that's how my previous posts sounded. I make it a point not to sound like a fanboy.

Okay, I am now hoping that this post sounds more informed...
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Anyhow, I don't see ANY adaptations (that I am aware of) that he has done, which means "Battle Angel" is his first adaptation...

He did a pretty good job adapting these stories:

http://www.theouterlimits.com/episodes/season1960/6033.htm
http://www.theouterlimits.com/episodes/season1960/6037.htm

Out of curiosity, Gatsu, have you seen Firefly?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Not really. It reminded me too much of Babylon 5, which I hadn't seen either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3