• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2006 Pokemon Movie Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Unless you've been writing about Detective Conan, in which case you're weird.

I thought the new DS game was Pokemon Dash...

When was the last movie that didn't involve a Legendary Pokémon? Is that all they do? Why couldn't they have done more stuff with Aqua and Magma. They were cool and it's a shame their conflict had to be restricted to the small screen.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
It's not surprising that there's going to be another Pokemon movie. Pokemon may not be popular anymore in the U.S., but if I remember correctly, the show is still going strong in Japan. I blame it on Nintendo's poor marketing skills of trying to milk Pokemon for all its worth when it was still a big boom. There must be something the Japanese are doing better than NOA to keep Pokemon going as long as it is. Either that or the Japanese aren't as hard to please as Americans are. I mean, Power Rangers have been around in Japan since the '70s. But as long as people still play the Pokemon video games, they'll continue to make more episodes of the anime, so if you want the anime to end, stop playing the games. I myself still actually like Pokemon. I don't try to watch new episodes religiously anymore, but I still like to watch the reruns whenever I'm bored. If anything, Pokemon is a fun way to waste half an hour and Pokemon is still a lot better than half of the crappy cartoons on American TV. What would you rather have the Japanese kids be obessesed with? Pokemon or Spongebob Squarepants? Anyway, I always thought the movies had better plots than the TV show, so I'll be looking forward to this movie, too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Since when did 4kids have any influence over them?

The rumor is that 4Kids thought that Brock was too "ethnic-looking" for American audiences.So they might've had something to do with the creation of Tracey and his introduction into the series.

Don't know if there's any actual proof though.

Joe Mello wrote:

When was the last movie that didn't involve a Legendary Pokémon? Is that all they do? Why couldn't they have done more stuff with Aqua and Magma. They were cool and it's a shame their conflict had to be restricted to the small screen.

Legendaries are saved for the films because there's more backstory to them and/or because of their astounding abilities.Mewtwo - genetically engineered,Lugia - keeps the other 3 elemental birds in check,Celebi -travles through time,Groudon/Kyogre - credited with the expansion of the land/sea,Rayquaza - the one that stopped the war between Groudon and Kyogre,etc.

And yeah,the series really dropped the ball with the Aqua/Magma arc.There was plenty of stuff that was left out that all lead to the awakening of Groudon and Kyogre.Mt.Pyre,the submarine heist,the Cave of Origin.....(i'm sure that you don't know what *any* of this is. ^^; ) The Groudon/Kyogre 2 parter would've been great if the animation in the 2nd episode hadn't taken a nosedive.

BTW,lots of Pokemon fans are really uncertain about this Pokemon Ranger thing.After watching the episode that aired last week in Japan,I don't really like the concept so far and seems too out of place in the anime.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

The rumor is that 4Kids thought that Brock was too "ethnic-looking" for American audiences.So they might've had something to do with the creation of Tracey and his introduction into the series.

Don't know if there's any actual proof though.
Considering that Brock is now back in the show again as a regular character, that Tracey now only makes cameo apppearances, and how many Pokemon fans hate Tracey but like Brock, I somehow doubt that was the case. I think they just wanted to swap characters to have a different change of pace, hence why they may have replaced Misty with May. Besides, if 4Kids didn't like Brock so much, they could just change his looks themselves with their good friend, Mr. Digital Paint Bucket, like they did with one of the characters in One Piece, if I'm not mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Not that I buy into this "he's too ethnic-lookin'" theory, but the difference between the chap in One Piece and Brock is that that the former is in it very briefly, whereas brock is a main character (and as such it'd be harder to do)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
There must be something the Japanese are doing better than NOA to keep Pokemon going as long as it is. Either that or the Japanese aren't as hard to please as Americans are.

No, it's all in the audience. Japanese consumers are in many aspects much different than American ones and have different tastes. Some anime like Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo didn't do that well in Japan but sold supurbly here. Then other anime like Gundam SEED and bishoujo anime/bishoujo games in general are massively popular in Japan but didn't do that great here. So, they just like different things. Although, Shounen Jump titles seem to be extremely popular no matter what the country.

coldspider wrote:
There was plenty of stuff that was left out that all lead to the awakening of Groudon and Kyogre.Mt.Pyre,the submarine heist,the Cave of Origin.....(i'm sure that you don't know what *any* of this is. ^^; )

Of course I know what you're talking about, the video games, ruby and sapphire version in specific, the later part of the game where Team Aqua/Team Magma steal the submarine from Capt. Stern and take the blue/red orb from Mt.Pyre and then go to the Seafloor Cavern to awaken Groudon/Kyogre. But I never compare the games and the anime since there's many other things that are very different between them.
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Well considering that Tracey didn't represent a game tie-in (like Todd/Snap or May) and that he was introduced into the series at the height of the Pokemon craze where the U.S. was one of the biggest markets (if not,*the* biggest Pokemon market at the time),is what makes things a little suspicious.

The theory is that once 4Kids knew they had an opportunity to modify the series,they would replace Brock with a more 'universal-looking' character.And as Steventheeunich mentioned,editing out some "ugly" Kanji is one thing,but to edit a main character that has hours of screentime seeems almost impossible.Not to mention that the older episodes still used traditional cel animation.And cel animation + numerous digital edits = WTF.

I personally don't believe anything like this ever happened,but it is interesting theory and the biggest rumor that suggests 4Kids might have had a say in the production of the series at one time.
s3raphs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
this thread is really old. but for extra info on the movie:

pokemon-movie2006.co.kr

its in korean tho.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
s3raphs wrote:
this thread is really old

And now I'm locking it thanks to you Very Happy.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2