• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Manga Blast Discontinued

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, the individual series won't be discontinued.
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hopefully, the individual series won't be discontinued.

Agreed. I also hope that they start releasing Narutaru unedited now that it will no longer be featured in SMB.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Didn't expect this to happen. So long to 'DH's manga anthology that gave us the skinny on popular titles. Especially 'Narutaru' aka 'Shadow Star'.

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I thought this publication had already been gone. I was surprised that it was still around. Surprised
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm suprised, though it is sad to see another anthology bite the dust. I'm sure they'll plan on republishing some of the titles in cheaper, unflipped format. Shadow Star has a big enough following to give it a reprinting, and Exaxxion should have enough appeal to mainstream audiences. Too bad Club 9 is probobly dead for good.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Probably too much of a reduction in readership/reduced sales and perhaps it was to expensive as well, so they cancelled it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
King Mob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Haha! Yeah I was interested in getting SMB because of narutoru but it's 5.99 a issue any magazine that doesn't offer at least a small discounted subscription rate is bound to fail. but if you want SMB on a regular basis you had to pay $72 for 12 issues buy getting a store subsription
sorvani

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Shadow Star has a big enough following to give it a reprinting, and Exaxxion should have enough appeal to mainstream audiences. Too bad Club 9 is probobly dead for good.

I always wanted to know why they moved Cannon God Exaxxion(CGE) into SMB in the first place. The only thing i could think of, was to increase sales. I mean it's Kenichi Sonoda. Gunsmith Cats(GSC) was hugely popular among the US manga only readers i know. Those same people were really liking CGE too.
BKMDOG21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:48 am Reply with quote
The reason they put Exaxxion in SMB was cause it wasn't doing to good in sales as a monthly issuse they were about to cancel it in the US until they put it in SMB i remember reading it
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
According to what I heard, 3x3 Eyes is getting canceled. Sad
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Good riddance, time to wipe the last vestiges of Studio Proteus away. No one can argue that manga would not be where it was today without them, but they are also indirectly responsible for many of the negatives in the market today. (ie: their titles not selling as well as Tokyopop's, so everyone tries to copy Tokyopop's "anything shojo" tactic - leading to the current glut of carbon copy shojo and almost NOTHING else - Viz somewhat excepted.)

I dropped SMB as soon as Appleseed was done and 3x3 eyes was replaced by exaxxion (sp?) I hate those titles (cge & gsc) they're just for gun otaku freaks like Toren - hence why he kept saving it above other, worthier titles (IMHO). I tolerated what's michael & club 9 - never understood the appeal, and shadow star's editing p*ssed me off.

3x3 eyes is a sad casualty of Smith's complete refusal to accept the future... remember his whole "two-tier manga" prediction? (9.99 'cheapies' and 15.99 'quality') Yeah, that happened... 7.99 and 9.99.

If they had just shifted their expensive ways and moved 3x3 eyes to 9.99 manga volumes when it became obvious that was the future, we'd be up to vol. 20+ by now...

I've been waiting 15 goddang years for them to translate that properly - looks like three strikes (innovation, DH, SMB) and they're out for that title - I doubt anyone'll pick it up now.
---
Sam.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Good riddance, time to wipe the last vestiges of Studio Proteus away. No one can argue that manga would not be where it was today without them, but they are also indirectly responsible for many of the negatives in the market today.

First off, SP is already owned by DH before this happened, so they do nothing but translate manga now. Secondly, how are they responsible for TP's "flood" tactic? Just because their titles didn't do well compared to TP's? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?
Yeah, DH has been slow to adapt their buisness. They think from the perspective of an indie comicbook publisher. Would you rather them adopted the flood strategy and ended up like ADV? Toren may have been a little too blunt when he made negative comments on the manga industry last year, but alot of what he said is coming true.
So while I suppose you right about Toren's stubborness reguarding adopting new marketing tactics, they still produce some of, if not the best translations today.
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I recently emailed Dark Horse asking if they were planning to republish the early volumes of Shadow Star and Seraphic Feather in their new flipped format along with new volumes as they were published in SMB, they said they would. Now that the book had been cancelled, I hope they still plan to put them out, but I'm not holding my breath. Sad
studioplugnplay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
SamusekTDS wrote:
Good riddance, time to wipe the last vestiges of Studio Proteus away.

... looks like three strikes (innovation, DH, SMB) ...

?? Wasn't SP just absorbed and not obliterated. I don't recall them ever trying to be 'revolutionaries' I just saw them trying to bring over Japanese manga and translate it into English.

As for SP or DH being part of the Manga market's problems? What? Mind you I have my gripes with DH in some of their licensing and line acquisitions in regard to female readers-I hardly think blaming Dark Horse et al for the 'glutted' market T-Pop was instrumental in creating, a coherent comment to make. (>_>) DH's only gaff is still trying to cater to manga readers as if they are 'collectors' which just isn't what manga readers are- they are consumers of stories, not collectors of books.

I think your entire rant would have been easier for you to type and me to read if you just said- 'Good, I'm glad SMB is gone, I don't like DH as a publisher of manga.' (0_0);

-Gynocrat
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
SamusekTDS wrote:

If they had just shifted their expensive ways and moved 3x3 eyes to 9.99 manga volumes when it became obvious that was the future, we'd be up to vol. 20+ by now...

I've been waiting 15 goddang years for them to translate that properly - looks like three strikes (innovation, DH, SMB) and they're out for that title - I doubt anyone'll pick it up now.
---
Sam.

Not cutting the volumes in half would have been nice too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:49 am Reply with quote
If Dark Horse screwed up at all with SMB, it was from publishing it at less than 100 pages and charging $6 for it. Only EGM can get away with that. It also, as other people pointed out, became a dumping ground for the least successful titles in the company's library. The fact that it didn't go under sooner is a testament to its fanbase, but obviously, it needed to reach a wider audience to sustain itself, and DH think it was worth the risk. They probably should just re-do it like Viz did with Shojo Beat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3