• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Hulu to Stream Toriko TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If they do it the same as One Piece, then it'll be viewable to Canadian viewers for at least a few hours. They put it on their video server first and then hours later upload it to Hulu and take it off their video server.

Which kinda shows you just how little they care about Canadians. They're perfectly able to make their content available to us but they just say 'screw it' and use Hulu instead.
^__^v

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree!

Oh, fudge. I do hope Funimation allows streaming of Toriko to Canada, otherwise, I guess, I'll have to find other means to watch it. Confused
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation dubs this series, I am totally buying it. This is a first for me, but since I have enjoyed every second of the Toriko (manga and anime) so I'd probably buy it either way.

Censorship? I sure didn't see anything. By the way, Toriko isn't smoking a cigarette, it's actually either wood with food flavoring or something else. He does the same thing in the manga, but it reveals that it's flavored with something, but I am not sure what.

Violence? Considering that the action it self was cool, I didn't see anything that looked censored. I've read the manga and really, as long as the action is cool, not much else really matters.

As for Tom, well considering I never knew what color he was before (in manga, it's either black or white, rarely ever color.) and the fact he is a very minor character, it really hard to say.

But hey, if Funimation is doing this, that is great. Rather see Funimation or Viz Media touch this series.
matrixdude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear that it was so censored before, as is the trend now to censor hard and release uncensored dvd's and blu-rays. Half the time it's fighting with blood everywhere, and a ton of the characters use the smoking wood so......... what's there to censor about a piece of smoking wood?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Doesn't surprise me that FUNimation will be streaming this even though VIZ has the manga license. I really hope FUNimation will end up licensing the anime and bring it to DVD.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
matrixdude wrote:
Sad to hear that it was so censored before, as is the trend now to censor hard and release uncensored dvd's and blu-rays. Half the time it's fighting with blood everywhere, and a ton of the characters use the smoking wood so......... what's there to censor about a piece of smoking wood?

Actually, from what I remember, I don't remember Toriko even smoking the branch (wood?) for the first chapter. I remember the second chapter having something along that lines.

But I have to agree with you, all it is flavored wood. I imagine he took it off a tree or maybe even a branch. Nothing too really get excited about, since it never was intended for anything other than to show Toriko maybe looking cool or something like that.

Considering that this is a anime, what happens there usually is not really realistic. If a person tried to light a piece of wood up, it would probably burn either very quickly or not at all, if the wood was wet. But I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but I am sure it probably has been done before.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
looking forward to straming Toriko via Hulu I wonder why so late in the evening. Surprised
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Which kinda shows you just how little they care about Canadians. They're perfectly able to make their content available to us but they just say 'screw it' and use Hulu instead.

FUNimation has been screwing with us for nearly half a decade, chicken. This really isn't anything new.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2