Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Gintama Manga 23 Is Final N. American Volume


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mr. sickVisionz



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
They did the same thing with Reborn and Zatch Bell...I guess it's all about the bottom line, not the fans...


There weren't enough fans willing to purchase it. I think that's the bottom line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kazemon15



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 312

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:
They did the same thing with Reborn and Zatch Bell...I guess it's all about the bottom line, not the fans...


There weren't enough fans willing to purchase it. I think that's the bottom line.


And Viz is to blame for that.

http://community.livejournal.com/​hitman_reborn/​5070540.​html


The "fans" would leap at it if the translations were better. Most of them would even pay extra for an English copy...if they were legible to read.

I highly doubt anyone would take the manga seriously when it's translated the way it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bahamut623



Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 1389

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
vashthekaizoku wrote:
They did the same thing with Reborn and Zatch Bell...I guess it's all about the bottom line, not the fans...


There weren't enough fans willing to purchase it. I think that's the bottom line.


Zatch Bell was a legal issue completely out of Viz's hands. Shogakukan no longer had the rights to it(they lost some of Raiku's original artwork and he sued them or something...I dunno), so Viz no longer did either. Kodansha now has the rights, and is rereleasing the series in Japan, so if we do see Zatch again, it might be through Kodansha Comics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Romuska



Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 357

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Piracy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SassyRobot



Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Collecting a long ongoing series is a test of endurance; who will give up first, you or the publisher!?

Considering the number of series that VIZ has going right now, I don't think they're doing that badly, as far as keeping up with and continuing releases goes. I completely understand the frustration of having a series that you are collecting be dropped, though. Its too bad about Gintama, but maybe the manga will pick up again after a hiatus...? I'm actually surprised they're stopping since I thought it had a decent following.

VIZ has done a good job completing many of the SJ series, even when I really wonder how well the sales are doing - Dr. Slump and maybe Muhyo & Roji (could be wrong, just assuming since I don't know the numbers Razz) - and they will have completed 42 volumes of Prince of Tennis pretty soon.

Their Omnibus editions are great and so are their Signature and IKKI lines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
njprogfan
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 494
Location: A River Named Toms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
After they dropped/hiatused Strawberry 100% (I could never find out which) I just sorta stopped buying anything new from Viz. What's the point if they're just gonna stop halfway through.


One of my favorite series and I'm pissed it was so close to the end. They also burned me on Kurohime Mad A pox on Viz Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
spartydragon



Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 61
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
TT______________________________________________TT

That said...

Why not move it to digital and do print-on-demand tankobons? I know the Japanese publishers are still squeamish about online manga, but try it with series's that they've already made their money on domestically! I mean, I can see not doing it with Naruto, Bleach and One Piece - they move plenty of physical copies on their own. But cult hits like Gintama? Cult hits that owe most of their global popularity TO the internet anyway? Pfff - should be a no brainier. Fans are happy, the publishers still make a little money off of it and avoid the bad PR of canceling a series mid-run, it's all good. *sigh*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
^__^v



Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The problem with Gintama is that it's like Zetsubou Sensei. There are a lot of cultural references and if people don't get them, the series won't make sense. While Gintama is not exactly on the same level as Zetsubou Sensei in terms of that content, it's still a a fair amount that the series revolves around.


Probably one of the reasons why I'm not that interested in this manga. Whether this manga does go digital, it will still not influence me to buy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12439

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
vash: Considering they only brought GT over because of a fan request, it's not entirely about the bottom line. But times are tough right now.

Ushio: If you don't buy, then they don't make money, and they won't continue, anyway. And from what I heard, they may not even have the rights to Guyver, anymore.

Also, you still gotta pay people to translate and edit it, so digital is not going to be a solution for every title, anyway.

Kit: I think it's more like the problem with GT is that it's very episodic.

ABCB: Jojo was a different issue. They had to deal with Shueisha.

bahamut: Well, how do you promote something which has a shift in tone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jaymie



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 905

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Viz should do Print On Demand. That's the one aspect where Tokyopop trumps Viz. Tokyopop's POD titles are really nice. They cost a lot more, but the pages and cover stock are amazing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3405
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
^__^v wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The problem with Gintama is that it's like Zetsubou Sensei. There are a lot of cultural references and if people don't get them, the series won't make sense. While Gintama is not exactly on the same level as Zetsubou Sensei in terms of that content, it's still a a fair amount that the series revolves around.


Probably one of the reasons why I'm not that interested in this manga. Whether this manga does go digital, it will still not influence me to buy it.


I like Zetsubou Sensei myself since I actually care about the Japanese culture as whole "not just anime and games" but that's something else also isn't DEL REY the ones doing the manga? Also it seems that media Blasters Picked Up season one on dvd as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1873

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:
Why not move it to digital and do print-on-demand tankobons? . But cult hits like Gintama? Cult hits that owe most of their global popularity TO the internet anyway? Pfff - should be a no brainier. Fans are happy, the publishers still make a little money off of it and avoid the bad PR of canceling a series mid-run, it's all good. *sigh*


Because if no one's going to buy the print edition, no one's going to buy the digital edition? Most of VIZ's digital offerings in Ipad are their proven bookstore sellers.
I mean, most of the Gintama books cost 7.99, right? If they won't buy a high quality, keep it forever, cheaper than other manga print edition, why would they buy a digital edition that costs 2 bucks less?

Especially when they're just going to read it on pirate sites anyways?

I think the best solution is for everyone to go out and buy Gintama books ASAP, if you're a fan of the series and haven't bought it yet. Show VIZ there's interest, and they'll revive it. Marvel "cancelled" Spidergirl a dozen times, and it last 100+ issues throughout the 00's since everytime it came close to getting canned people boosted the sales on it [had a nice ending too recently].

With manga, it's probable you'd just need about 500 or so extra people buying it to give it that boost.

Anyhoo, don't mean to nag so much- show your support if you can, cross your fingers otherwise, and if it pops up on VIZ's Ipad offerings, let friends know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1873

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Viz should do Print On Demand. That's the one aspect where Tokyopop trumps Viz. Tokyopop's POD titles are really nice. They cost a lot more, but the pages and cover stock are amazing.


Tpop's POD books are just reprints of previously issued books though- all the production costs are covered, and they've already run through a normal print runs worth of sales. Doing POD for all-new content is probably more expensive to do. I could see VIZ doing it for stuff that's OOP but not popular enough to get reprinted- fans'ld certainly be pleased if OOP vols of stuff like Banana Fish and Basara were issued that way if they aren' big enough for VIZBIG/3-in-1 reissues

I imagine VIZ'll bring it back if the chance arises, but with things tight right now, I imagine they're devoting resources to what sells, and new titles with more potential to sell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3405
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
spartydragon wrote:
Why not move it to digital and do print-on-demand tankobons? . But cult hits like Gintama? Cult hits that owe most of their global popularity TO the internet anyway? Pfff - should be a no brainier. Fans are happy, the publishers still make a little money off of it and avoid the bad PR of canceling a series mid-run, it's all good. *sigh*


Because if no one's going to buy the print edition, no one's going to buy the digital edition? Most of VIZ's digital offerings in Ipad are their proven bookstore sellers.
I mean, most of the Gintama books cost 7.99, right? If they won't buy a high quality, keep it forever, cheaper than other manga print edition, why would they buy a digital edition that costs 2 bucks less?

Especially when they're just going to read it on pirate sites anyways?

I think the best solution is for everyone to go out and buy Gintama books ASAP, if you're a fan of the series and haven't bought it yet. Show VIZ there's interest, and they'll revive it. Marvel "cancelled" Spidergirl a dozen times, and it last 100+ issues throughout the 00's since everytime it came close to getting canned people boosted the sales on it [had a nice ending too recently].

With manga, it's probable you'd just need about 500 or so extra people buying it to give it that boost.

Anyhoo, don't mean to nag so much- show your support if you can, cross your fingers otherwise, and if it pops up on VIZ's Ipad offerings, let friends know.


one it's easier to store digital manga than 50 volume of naruto or 40 volumes of bleach
two it would save them money from printing cost, manufacture on paper, ink, shipping them out, advertisement and so forth.
three, look at itunes and don't tell me that people would not like something like that from the ibooks store or on an android device.
That's all I can come up with really, either companies get with the times or people will do what they alwasy do with online manga sites and so forth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
^__^v



Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I like Zetsubou Sensei myself since I actually care about the Japanese culture as whole "not just anime and games" but that's something else also isn't DEL REY the ones doing the manga? Also it seems that media Blasters Picked Up season one on dvd as well.


I have nothing against the Japanese culture. In fact, I like it. I don't remember all of them so matching what with what in relation to the manga is a bit confusing.

Also due to my income budget, I buy what I interests me and this one is not on my list.


Last edited by ^__^v on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group