• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Satoshi Kon Project Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting. I'm interested in seeing just about anything he does.

Satoshi Kon work is brilliant! Surprised
Walkabout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but...I reather prefer his original works like PB and PA, he does great work otherwise, sure, but within purely his own universe is where he seems to shine best...
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon doing sci fi... this should be interesting.

Walkabout wrote:
Yeah, but...I reather prefer his original works like PB and PA, he does great work otherwise, sure, but within purely his own universe is where he seems to shine best...

Perfect Blue was adapted from a novel
red stranger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
He wrote the script for "Magnetic Rose", so Paprika is bound to be awesome.

And the music will be done by Susumu Hirasawa? Excellent!
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Actually, producer Masao Maruyama revealed that in December's Play Magazine.

What does Madhouse have next coming up?
Director Rintaro has a bold CG feature he's working on, Kawajiri is working on the Highlander feature film set for next year, and Satoshi Kon is working on next springs' release of Paprika. Full Metal Alchemist's director Mizushima is joining with us on a new title, and the Trigun revival is underway with a feature film in production which is two to three years in the making.
Walkabout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Walkabout wrote:

Perfect Blue was adapted from a novel

Check and mate.
You know, I wasn't actually sure if I was right about that, but I just had to open my big trap...
However, my point remains on PA, it was good to see him actively pursuing something more definably his.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'll be looking forward to this movie. I really like Kon and I thought Millenium Actress was a masterpiece.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
After Tokyo Godfathers, I was hoping he'd try his hand at comedy again. But anything he does tends to be good, so I'm not complaining.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
A movie is nice, but then... I'd kinda like a TV series better mainly since he can expand on his *BRILLIANT* insight better that way (like in PARANOIA AGENT)

But yeah, more SATOSHI KON is always good... and cool, he stuck with HIRASAWA for the music... excellent

Man, MADHOUSE is awesome *just had to say it*
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
I've done some reading on this novel but all I can find is this snippet which has a rather high strange terms quoient but it sounds like a match for his style.

"Deeply influenced by Darwin, Freud, and the Marx Brothers, his own postsituationist poetics of "hyperfictionality" have persistently disclosed the conspiracy between reality and fiction in the hypercapitalist age haunted by "spectacles" and "pseudo-events.".....His latest diptych of Gaspard of the Morning and Paprika (1993) radically reconsiders our own reality as a version of hyperfictionality, our everyday life as the effect of the political unconscious, and the boundary-transgressor as the greatest survivor of natural selection. Tsutsui states: "I do not find it accidental that from the 60s through the 70s, just while the postsurrealist mode nurtured British New Wave and North-American Metafiction and Latin American Magic Realism, I was making every effort to develop my own theory of hyper-fictionality without knowing those western literary experiments" ("On My Fictional Theory: a Recollection," unpublished, 1991)."
redline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Little Harlock's source for Paprika Script writer Kiyosuke Mizukami was incorrect according to the new press release mentioned at http://www.animenewsservice.com. ANS translated these details seperately last week and correctly arrived at Seishi Minakami (Paranoia Agent / Boogiepop Phantom). The kanji is very similar though.
Traxan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I found this on Paprika.

------------

The project to be directed by Kon is entitled Paprika and is set for a 2007 release. The book's protagonist is a genius psychotherapist and researcher who moonlights as a psychic detective named Paprika who has the ability to enter the unconscious minds of strangers.

Paprika
Original work: Yasutaka Tsutsui
Screenplay: Seishi Minakami (Paranoia Agent), Satoshi Kon
Character design: Masashi Andou (Paranoia Agent)
Music: Susumu Hirasawa
Art director: Nobutaka Ike (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers)
Director: Satoshi Kon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1