• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon USA Takes Over Pokemon Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay! My hatrid for 4kids is a 1/4 gone ( Mad They still have One Piece, Mew Mew and Doremi!) and I got an early Christams presnt! Who knows this might be the thing that 4kids haters have been waiting for! Yu-Gi-Oh is ending and 4kids lost Pokemon, it's two biggest hits are going bye bye so who knows maybe due to profit concernes they decied to relsse uncuts, it would make sence. I hope that will happen. That or 4kids goes bye bye.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were the'yre only two mega-hit properties which gave them real success. Now, they've given up the liscense to what could easily be considered they're biggest cash cow, Yu-Gi-Oh is loosing popularity and the show is about to end, One Piece is a complete disaster, it dosen't even SEEM like they're trying to advertise they're other properties like Shaman King, Winx Club, Tokyo Mew Mew, etc, and on top of all that, 4kidsTV has some of the (if not then THE) lowest ratings of any Saturday morning cartoon block.

Honestly, how much longer will they last?
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Yay! My hatrid for 4kids is a 1/4 gone ( Mad They still have One Piece, Mew Mew and Doremi!) and I got an early Christams presnt! Who knows this might be the thing that 4kids haters have been waiting for! Yu-Gi-Oh is ending and 4kids lost Pokemon, it's two biggest hits are going bye bye so who knows maybe due to profit concernes they decied to relsse uncuts, it would make sence. I hope that will happen. That or 4kids goes bye bye.

Yeah yeah. Pokemon was one thing that 4kids did right.

There a lot of happy kids out there who will always remember Pokemon and the wholesomeness it represents (adventure, responibility, friendship, competition, and values). Team Rocket (the only reason I watch) are as classic a duo as Laurel and Hardy thanks to some excellent heartfelt voicework.

But I think 4kids will never bother with the "otaku" market and release uncuts. Thier too much animosity and we're not as profitable as the "soccor mom" market to invest boatloads of cash on.

After Pokemon, I think will 4kids will keep a low profile until the next big marketing thing comes along.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
As the 4Kids fangirl in here, I gotta say: Not a good move.

Unless there was some big contract thing that they absolutely couldn't get out of, this was a bad move. Pokemon, despite it's recent fall in populaeity, is still a big money-maker for 4Kids. Granted, Yu-Gi-Oh is still a fairly big property, but unlike Pokemon it didn't have enough popularity in Japan to give it an "unlimited run".

Al Kahn, if you can hear me: License something big and give it some exposure. Now. Don't just shove it into your channel, try getting it on a morning block that kids actually watch. Like KidsWB. They've been good to you in the past.
gaby85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Stock falling? Happens all the time after 9/11 nothing surprises me from the global economy.

As 4kids out of Pokemon hands, doesn't make any diference.

Why? Do you really think Nintendo will spend thousands of dolars on subbing an series with over 400 episodes alredy? The timing, the recoding, typesetting. Do you imagine all those work hours?

We won't see the Porygon episode, Nintendo nor Tv tokyo will allow it to be released.

Neither the Earthquake episode(It was baned in Japan)

Pokemon raped? Don't make me laugh. 4kids did a good job on it, and the paint edits are really common on anime nowadays.

I just worry, that the Pokemon dub might gets delayed because of this change of plans. Nintendo just did this, since Pokemon is becoming a Great cash cow, they want everything for themselves instead of sharin with 4kids
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
A-one, a-two, a-one two three four:

If you look at it, that's actually a pretty small drop.
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
The problem is the banned "Porygon" episode.

I'm not sure if that episode was actually banned...

See trivia fact No.1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
gaby85 wrote:
Pokemon raped? Don't make me laugh. 4kids did a good job on it, and the paint edits are really common on anime nowadays.

I agree. The edits in Pokemon were so minor and I don't consider it butchered. But I don't have a problem with it being released uncut and subbed. While I support uncut redubs of butchered dubs like Yu-gi-oh, I don't think a Pokemon redub is necessary because of the small changes.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
YourNeighborTotoro wrote:
Jkid wrote:
The problem is the banned "Porygon" episode.

I'm not sure if that episode was actually banned...

See trivia fact No.1.

Actually, what it meant was that early episodes, that aired in America, used the "TV-Tokyo Light Edit" masters, which are still used today in japan. That, and I remember it never airing in the initial run. True, 4Kids may have access to the master for Electric Soldier Porygon, but I believe no vas would want to touch this episode, because of what happened in Japan. So I REALLY doubt it'd be dub.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I doubt they will go for the uncut avenue. Remember their company name "4-Kids" Uncut is not for kids in their way of thinking. As for going under, there's plenty of fish out there to keep them busy with acquistions, editing, and dubbing. So stay tuned for the next big series they skin, gut, and pack in a tiny tin with either brine, or vegetable oil, but without the tomato sauce. Wink
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
banned episodes can also create consistancy problems,
but at least pokemon is a show for kids and wouldn't have had to be as edited as other series

if 4kids makes any more licenses.... i hope it will be a kids series, not some "meant-for-japanese-kids-but-too-much-for-american-parents-and-must-be-butchered" type of series like one piece and yugioh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_episodes_of_Pokémon banned pokemon episodes
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
If you look at it, that's actually a pretty small drop.

Yes, and small things turn into big things.

Oh my god, I did NOT just say that...

Besides that, it's not as if 4Kids' stock was really good to begin with. I don't think they can afford the hits they've been taking much longer.

Hi no Neko wrote:

Al Kahn, if you can hear me: License something big and give it some exposure. Now. Don't just shove it into your channel, try getting it on a morning block that kids actually watch. Like KidsWB. They've been good to you in the past.

I know, that's what I (and probably others) have been saying. Heck, One Piece is already on Toonami, and it's getting good ratings there (second behind Naruto), why not try to take some advantage of that and actually PUSH it?

Oh wait, 4Kids? Smart ideas? Lol.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
But then again on Pokemon Channel they included the Japanese verision of that short Pichu movie, so there may be a slight chance.

They also had the Japanese version of the "Meowth's Party" song. I was really shocked to see that included.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
I see many people hoping for uncut/subtitled releases of Pokemon in the future due to this. While I wouldn't mind that, I don't see much possiblity in that happening. I definately wouldn't say anything if I were wrong though. Wink

However, the best thing that I can see that could/would be realisticly done is box sets. Clump those whole seasons together. Just looking at the releases is ridiculous. Early ones have 3, then 5, some have 7, and the Orange Islands seem to have 12. At least they started clumping it together in Master Quest and Advanced.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
Season sets would make Neko very happy. Finding individual, season one DVDs is really hard nowadays, and it's rather frustrating to only get 3 episodes for my work.

As for uncut . . . aside from some paint edits and a few minor "violence" cuts, (Mistly slapping Ash.) there wasn't all that much left out in the first place. And I suppose a subbed version would be okay for people who prefer them, but I've heard the Japanese version, and it's not exactly stellar. ("Nyarth" makes my ears hurt.)

All in all, Pokemon is probably the best job 4Kids has done to date . . . which is a bit of why it puzzles me that they're just letting it go like this.

Unless there's something I'm not seeing here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6