• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I believe even if it were an anime from Japan, done with normal 2D animation, I'd probably still have dropped it if the characters and general writing remained the same. Though I guess that's a pointless thought experiment, because you'll fall into the trap of changing too many variables until it's no longer the same production, such as talent, budget, episode length, voice acting, and choreography.

If this were made by complete and unmonied amateurs, not a bad first work, but good god is it embarrassing for anyone trying to claim professionalism.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

but good god is it embarrassing for anyone trying to claim professionalism.

Kinda how i thought about them switching over to non-Machinma CGI in Red Vs Blue.

But as a whole I could really give less than two damns about Rooster Teeth. They're not that great in the grand scheme of things.

Hell, I watched the teaser trailer a couple months back, and the CGI hurt my eyes then too.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
Hell, I watched the teaser trailer a couple months back, and the CGI hurt my eyes then too.

I am reminded of when Flash/Shockwave first came out. There were tons of sites that were trying to get creative with this "new web media" but from the start it always looked cheap and contrived. There were series like Joe Paradise and The Ruth Truth and Thugs On Film. And of course old Joe Cartoon.

Now most of them are on Youtube as regular video streams.

This poser-based production will eventually find its way to the ash heap of history the same way.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

This poser-based production will eventually find its way to the ash heap of history the same way.

Just like most Poser-made garbage, I presume.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Please enlighten me. What does this "poser-based production" term even mean, as I think you just made up this up to mean whatever it is you want it to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Stuff made in the CG program Poser, which is the program of choice for people who want to make stilted animation or nude (or just downright creepy) pictures.

Monty Oum uses it in all his works too, if I'm not mistaken.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
Stuff made in the CG program Poser, which is the program of choice for people who want to make stilted animation or nude (or just downright creepy) pictures.

Monty Oum uses it in all his works too, if I'm not mistaken.

ok I misunderstood. I was thinking of the actual definition of what the word poser means and was completely confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
Just watched episode 7. Some funny moments with Jaune and Pyrrha.
And Ruby/Weiss and Blake/Yang teams might be meeting up.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
I just checked this out today and I've gotta say, it's a reasonably funny series with a decent amount of action in it. Plus the girls are pretty easy on the eyes. The episodes are sadly shorter than what I'd like, so they don't have a lot of time to build up momentum before moving to a new episode.

So far, I think of it as a nice change of pace from what I've been watching lately. Too bad there isn't more of it, but that can't be helped.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
So, big action climax.

Yeah, big action climax.

I need something like that today.

That was certainly elaborate and energetic. I imagine that this is what Monty Oum got into this business for. I think that it was robbed of effect by the limitations of the animation. Computer animation has long had a problem with giving people and objects a sense of weight and inertia. It wasn't as bad as some rickety, vintage nineties or early aughts stuff, but it didn't feel right. POSER has some pretty stringent limitations.

Even so, I thought it was pretty cool. Putting them against a ground-crawling beast and that monster bird was a good choice to give the action a lot of angles and a varied dynamic. I'm also impressed that they kept all of the cast moving and involved in the events.

Also: Shotgun shells with hearts on them. D'awwwwww.

Also: Quick-maturing adolescent girls, just add monster bird. I was surprised, but pleased by Weiß' olive branch to Ruby. It was first demonstration of self-awareness from the character and it felt believable. It was probably the first moment when I genuinely liked Weiß, who had lagged the rest of the cast in appeal. I think that it also points to a difference between she and Ruby. Ruby's a little more sealed inside her own perspective, although perhaps less stubborn about its validity.

Somehow, I couldn't help but smile doofily and chuckle at Nora's antics. She's incredibly disarming for some reason, although she really needs to fill out and deepen. I noticed that Pyrrha was rather silent this episode; I wonder if they're having a little trouble pinning her character down. I also hope that they don't try to contrive a Ruby-Pyrrha-Jaune love triangle. I don't generally care for love triangles.

I like Yang. She has a slightly sarcastic insouciance and she punches things. I can work with that.

I imagine that what's left of the season will build from the, of course, ominous finale scene to set the next season up. The gang's all in place, now we just need something for them to do and to define the thread. (I wonder what they'd do if they got a team whose names began with JZQX or something. Jazzcox?)

The highly varied length of the last few episodes makes me think that the story and action were planned together and divvied up among episodes as that plan required.

This whole series has that disarming effect on me. Perhaps why I'm not the least interested in eviscerating it as I've seen done elsewhere. I suppose that's in part because its problems aren't in ways that offend me. The animation has a lot of problems and the writing needs to mature, but there's nothing hateful or boring about it. This stands in contrast to something like MD Geist and MD Geist 2: DEATH FORCE, which is one of the few things I've ever watched that made me genuinely angry. (Seriously, f**k [i]MD Geist)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Episodes 7 & 8 (who knew their website was ahead a week)

All the characters became a lot more likable, especially Nora. Her bubbly attitude being played against her weapon of choice being a spoiler[grenade launcher and hammer] is fun. With Jaune finding his legs and Ruby and Weiss starting to get along.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I just saw episode 8 and it's 13 minutes long.

spoiler[A great episode with a lot of action and the formation of the Teams.]
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

More like "40mm grenades with hearts on them. D'awwwww"

When you shoot a shotgun, the shell hangs out by the shooter and the shot goes to visit the target.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Something else that I liked was that they decided to try to avoid the fight as unnecessary. It did not, of course, end up working that way, but I found that slightly novel.

DerekTheRed wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

More like "40mm grenades with hearts on them. D'awwwww"

When you shoot a shotgun, the shell hangs out by the shooter and the shot goes to visit the target.

Right, damn! I went to bed thinking that I had gotten that wrong, but decided I could live with being corrected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
I just saw episode 8 and it's 13 minutes long.

spoiler[A great episode with a lot of action and the formation of the Teams.]

Takes you right back to Dead Fantasy, huh? Cool Nice to see this anime taking off bit-by-bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 19