• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
For years, I knew that this "anime from Japan" definition is gonna crack, and that crack has gotten a bit bigger with RWBY. I cannot wait for something to come along and smash that old definition altogether.

Japan will continue to not care one bit about these shows so I am not sure what is your goal of trying to crack some definition that only a few Americans care about. Your crusade is not a very meaningful one.. Japan is not going to embrace you or your anime imitation shows if you keep up this fight. walw6pK4Alo's Japanimation word is correct. If it means shutting these people up let us bring back the term so RWBYfans and Avatarfans stop trying to forcing their way into the fandom and have been abusing the word anime and need that privilege revoked so we go back to the Japanimation era
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Excuse me you two! Please refrain and stop mentioning about this topic over whether the series is an anime, not anime, pseudo-anime or anime-like.

Let's just forgot that and focus on the series.

Anyway, latest episode shows the cast in school uniforms. Huuzzah!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Poor Weiss. She's the victim of Ruby's take on "leadership", and it pushed her over the edge! Ruby's reaction to listening to the instructor's story was pure gold, though not as good at what Patty did during the Super Written Exam in Soul Eater: that thing with the giraffe was beyond gold and all the way to platinum!

I wonder if, after they're done, Rooster Teeth will compress everything into fewer, longer episodes, because that's one of the main setbacks for this series, IMO: episode length.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will be the point at which spoiler[the relationship between Ruby and Weiss will drastically improve from here, or if this will become more of a love/hate sort of thing? I also wonder if this means we'll move on to more exposition on Blake and Yang?]

Episode made me smile, I'll say that much. Smile
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Excuse me you two! Please refrain and stop mentioning about this topic over whether the series is an anime, not anime, pseudo-anime or anime-like.

Let's just forgot that and focus on the series.

Anyway, latest episode shows the cast in school uniforms. Huuzzah!

I agree. Take that crap over here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51neLsWE-4

I'll be more than happy to take the fight over there. Regardless, I will continue to refer to RWBY as anime, unabated. If anyone doesn't like that idea, you'd have to kill me. Cool

===

Now, as for episode 10, nice to finally see Weiss's soft side. The "dere" part of her finally came out after all that "tsun". However, I can only see this as a short term. Personality changes like that do not occur overnight. The two will have to face some more trouble before things smooth out a bit more.

Anyways, with 6 more episodes left to this first season, that will not be enough to cover the ground of the story, given the episode lengths. I will expect more of this anime, in the form of a second season. Cool
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Finally! We get to see another faunus again, and pick up a few more details. Such as, they CAN have two sets of ears - one human, one animal.

I am all but absolutely convinced that Blake is a faunus. So, episode 8, beyond being an epic fighting episode with sweet music (Red Like Roses, pt 2, baby!), had a few specific scenes that support my hypothesis. At around the 0:58 mark in the episode when Ruby falls from the sky, her bow twitches kinda like how cat ears do. And then at 1:20, when the Ursa crashes through the woods, it twitches again.

Monty, if you're pulling my leg and throwing in a few red herrings, then I may just hafta kick ya in the nads. Just saiyan.

I'm warming up to Weiss a lot more now. It took a few episodes to see beyond the caustic introduction. I really like her more pragmatic personality and her dynamics with with Ruby.

And speaking of dynamic turnarounds, whoa Blake of episode 9 - joining in the goofiness of Ruby and Yang. I can't tell if this is just an act she's putting on, or if she's genuinely opening up to them and enjoying herself (or if the writers are sacrificing her character to sell the joke). She didn't seem as turned off to Yang in episodes 6 and 7 as she was in episode 3. Episode 9 threw me off at first, but I appreciate it more now. The series had her as the mysterious, introverted loner initially, and I thought they were just going to play that straight. And I still see the lone wolf personality (superficially she acts like she's part of the team, but she still doesn't trust them with her secrets - we don't really know anything more about her than what we did at the beginning). But like with Weiss, she's more than just initial perceptions. She does seem to have a side to her that's willing to open up to others (as long as this isn't an act) and be a bit goofy. Being willing to become a part of the group actually makes her more of an enigma now. Who is Blake? What are her intentions? Does she have any ulterior motives?

And, good god, those bunk beds are a death trap.

Nora is just awesome. She's the kind of person who if I was around often I would get annoyed with (constantly talking and engaging you in whatever random thing catches her attention), but in the show I absolutely enjoy watching her. Her partnership with Ren is one of my faves as well. And, f*** yes, hammers. I was already expecting a hammer for her - y'know, Thor and everything - but I'm really happy to see it confirmed and watching her wallop monsters left and right all while gleefully having a good ol' time.

Did I mention that I loved episode 8? I loved episode 8.

The partnership dynamics is probably one of my favorite aspects of the show right now. How the characters balance each other out and play off of their strengths and weaknesses. I really want to see more of how Blake interacts with Yang (and the other two girls). It'll be interesting to see where they go with the faunus angle that's slowly working it's way back into the story after what was mentioned in episode 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 11.

spoiler[So Team CRDL are a bunch of bullies, especially on Jaune.
The racism against Faunas is also shown.
Velvet the Bunnygirl. Smile I wonder what's her weapon?]
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
From Mondaiji -- I enjoy bunny girls. Very Happy
dan7el

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
I really like the idea behind this series, and I'm willing to put up with the crappy animation and bad voice acting for some interesting sci-fi action, but the last couple of episodes have been real snoozers and downright boring.

If it doesn't pick up soon, I may lose interest. I wouldn't call it quality entertainment to begin with. I'm not even sure it's meant to be quality. I always assumed the creators of this series knew the production quality was horrible, but put out an amateurish thing anyway.

Juane better be sandbagging it, too.

Also, who names their character Glynda Goodwitch?

Also, by standard "family naming conventions" that we know of today, how in the world are Yang Xiao Long and Ruby Rose even remotely sisters?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Wow, I gotta say that's some of the most impressive indie anime I've ever seen. Sure, the scenario is cliché and I'm not entirely sure if I like the fact that it looks like a videogame. But the fight choregraphy is just amazing. Really top level stuff.

If you've never seen Oum's Dead Fantasy stuff you should check it out. The fights are amazing. Glad to see this little project is just as good in that regard.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
Also, by standard "family naming conventions" that we know of today, how in the world are Yang Xiao Long and Ruby Rose even remotely sisters?

Many are explaining via adoption. However, we have yet to see anything regarding that.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
Also, who names their character Glynda Goodwitch?
Somebody who has a fixation with the land of Oz perhaps?

Some of the voices for the characters really work for me (like Ruby) others not so much. Its dragging a bit for me right now though...
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Whoa. Episode 12. I did not expect that.

spoiler[So it turns out Jaune never was admitted to Beacon Academy because he used forged documents to enter the school. Unfortunately, Pyrrha isn't the only one who knows his secret because his bully Cardin eavesdrops their conversation and blackmails Jaune.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist,

I think Professor Ozpin (the Headmaster) already knew the truth about Jaune. He doesn't seem to be the sort of guy who would spoiler[be ignorant about those he lets into his school. I think he decided to let Jaune enter because he respected Jaune's moxy and determination. OTOH, I don't like Jaune's current attitude. I don't like the way he's responding to people offering to help him out. I don't think that mindset of his is admirable at all. Hopefully he gets over himself soon.]
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Now with Cardin having his way with him.... spoiler[This ain't YAOI, you sick pervs].

... it's interesting how this half of the series so far is more Jaune centered. Then again, if the series focuses too much on the RWBY, things may become stale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 19