• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Close North American Publishing Division

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Well...there goes mine and Ben's contract deal... =_=;; Got a call about this yesterday. Scheiße.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I imagine this has a lot to do with Borders closing. They owed a lot of publishers, big and small, millions of dollars that they were NEVER going to see paid. The larger publishers could weather the hit better. The smaller publishers will either have to hope for a buyout from a larger publisher (unlikely) or close up. Too bad for Tokyopop and for US manga fans.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOO!!!! There's only ONE volume of Future Diary left!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!

Also... I just started buying Qwaser.... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
^__^v

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wait.... What? O____O *rubs eyes* What will happen to the discontinued titles?

Last edited by ^__^v on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wait....what-what-WHAT?
Tokyopop is closing? As in: one of the biggest manga publishers in the United States is closing? As in: no more manga is ever going to be published from them again?
Is this true? Or is just the branch in LA shutting down?

Someone please clear this up for me! I'm freaking out!
Shocked

Last edited by Jozoiscute on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:

Tokyopop is closing? As in: the biggest manga publisher in the United States is closing? As in: no more manga is ever going to be published from them again?

Not just manga. Everything. This includes American originated comics. But not DVDs.

Last edited by John Casey on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
WHAT?!

I've been buying manga from them since the Mixxzine/Smile days! Tokyopop is basically the reason we have as big a manga industry as we do in America. They originated the "Authentic" Right to Left format and were the first company to bring light novels and other Japanese fiction relevant to anime fans to and English audience with their PopFiction label if I recall right. And, while some people may call it a bad move, they did help publish lots of American manga artists. I also own several of the DVDs they've released.

This is just heartbreaking. I was waiting for their site relaunch so I could buy all the Slayers novels I was missing. I was also reading several current series from them.

It's really just another sign of the poor state of the American economy and the anime/manga industry. So very sad.

Last edited by SoloButterfly on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
This sucks muchly. This better not impede my purchase of future Battle Vixen's volumes!
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
And, while some people may call it a bad move, they did help publish lots of American manga artists.

=_= Who called this a bad move? Please, point them out so as I may thoroughly beat the shit out of them.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember the article where TP mentioned Borders owed them a lot of money, so my guess is this is just another ripple from that; but with other parts of the company remaining, maybe it'll just take a couple years for TP to restructure and relaunch manga publishing stateside (foolish hopes)

I lost Maid-Sama and .hack//LINK :/. bloody heck D:.

I think I'm angrier at TP's business model that allowed things to reach this point, than I am at the company in general or even at Borders for being fricken broke and unable to pay its debts. TP is doing the smart thing by shutting down a division it can't support.

If the $$ ever shows back up, they'll have a chance to re-open :/. Fool's hope.... nothing but a fool's hope...
Songdragosa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Nooooo! There was one more .hack//GU Novel coming out this month (edit- make that next month, but I doubt it'll see print after this news...)! And .hack//Link! D:

I admit, most of the manga I've been buying has been from Viz, but Tokyopop was where my collecting started with Marmalade Boy, and it's close to my heart. I'm sorry to see them have to close their doors like this.

Last edited by Songdragosa on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
Wait....what-what-WHAT?
Tokyopop is closing? As in: the biggest manga publisher in the United States is closing? As in: no more manga is ever going to be published from them again?
Is this true? Or is just the branch in LA shutting down?

That was my exact feeling. If anyone can add informed information to this it would be much appreciated. Tokyopop leaving the U.S. manga business? What percentage of the total of U.S. licensed and published manga titles did they handle? It's gotta be pretty significant. To have that all go away just boggles the mind. Shocked
HanaBana

For a while I stopped buying from TP after being burned so often with constant dropped titles everywhere. Then I finally give them a chance again when I saw they were starting to turn things around and got Gosick, Deadman Wonderland, Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko, Silver Diamond, and Alice in the Country of Hearts all in the span of a couple months. Now this happens.

I guess it's my fault for thinking that idiot would ever change. I just wish someone would give him a good slap. He's not only screwed over the fans supporting him throughout the years, but the very people that work for him, just because he has all these grand plans that never amount to anything but a little self gratification. I don't know how an ADD child like him managed to last this long as the head of a company.
TitanXL

'American manga artists'? Confused

Anyway, yeah, I'm not one to usually say this, but it definitely looks like buying manga and stuff these days is kind of pointless. We just have Viz, Yen Press, and Del Ray left?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
WOW! This blows me away how random this annoucement is Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25