• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Close North American Publishing Division

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Very sad to see them go. I used to be subscribed to MixxZine so I've been following them through their changes for a long time now. People can say what they want about Levy, but he started the company and was at the helm when they were at the top of their game as well. 2008 hurt everyone and they took a major hit from Borders among other things. Don't place all of the blame on Levy, there was an avalanche of events that few companies could recover from.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
Wait....what-what-WHAT?
Tokyopop is closing? As in: the biggest manga publisher in the United States is closing? As in: no more manga is ever going to be published from them again?

They aren't the biggest publisher. Viz and Yen Press are larger according to CBRs analysis of Bookscan. Though what % they control comes down to how you compute "size." ~15% based on income, ~13% based on sales.

DmonHiro wrote:
NOOOOOO!!!! There's only ONE volume of Future Diary left!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!

Two actually. Ends at 12.

Last edited by bayoab on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
'American manga artists'? Confused

Anyway, yeah, I'm not one to usually say this, but it definitely looks like buying manga and stuff these days is kind of pointless. We just have Viz, Yen Press, and Del Ray left?

Del Ray kinda got forced out of the market when Kodansha decided to take over all their own titles in the US.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad for the people that lost their jobs. Despite TP making some poor decisions, they were important to the development of the manga market in the US.

Well, Hetalia is likely to be picked up in no time. Hopefully Flat, Chibisan Date, The Embalmer, and a few more titles as well...Wont hold my breath, though.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Really bad news, less and less people have been buying manga, it looks like it's going to start nearing its end in the US. I don't know whether it's the economy to blame, or if people just aren't interested anymore.

This is really depressing.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
O_O

Oh my gosh... >.< This is horrible. What's going to happen to the US Manga industry now? All we have left is VIZ, Yen Press, and Kodansha Comics (and Yen and Kodansha barely publishes anything!)

Question though: Does anyone know if all the titles scheduled by Tokyopop are coming out before the company closes? The press release stated Tokyopop was shutting down on May 31st. So technically all the stuff before then could still be coming out, right?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
It's too bad for the people that lost their jobs. Despite TP making some poor decisions, they were important to the development of the manga market in the US.

Well, Hetalia is likely to be picked up in no time. Hopefully Flat, Chibisan Date, The Embalmer, and a few more titles as well...

Hopefully Yen will pick up Hetalia. I think they'd treat it well, and quite frankly, people would be foolish not to, it's on the bestseller list pretty much every week.
Jarmel

Damn I was looking into picking up Future Diary. That's not happening now.
DmonHiro

bayoab wrote:

Two actually. Ends at 12.

No, there are only 11 Future Diary volumes.
There is 1 more volume of side-stories (mosaic) , and one more of an alternate time-line (paradox), but only 11 volumes of the actual story.

Also, Paradox was freaking amazing. If you read it after the 11 volumes, it just blows your mind at how awesome it is.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Songdragosa

b4k4ni04 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
'American manga artists'? Confused

Anyway, yeah, I'm not one to usually say this, but it definitely looks like buying manga and stuff these days is kind of pointless. We just have Viz, Yen Press, and Del Ray left?

Del Ray kinda got forced out of the market when Kodansha decided to take over all their own titles in the US.

So it's pretty much Viz (who holds most of the Shonen chips) and Yen Press (who made a boatload of money off of the Twilight adaptation)?

*sigh* I like those two companies enough, but I miss the diversity of publishers.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Very sad to see them go. I used to be subscribed to MixxZine so I've been following them through their changes for a long time now. People can say what they want about Levy, but he started the company and was at the helm when they were at the top of their game as well. 2008 hurt everyone and they took a major hit from Borders among other things. Don't place all of the blame on Levy, there was an avalanche of events that few companies could recover from.

Emerje

Most people would put a lot of the blame on Levy since he is hated so much.

It's sad to see them go away, I did like their releases of manga at least from the ones I have seen. The question that now begs to be asked is who is going to pick the titles they still have the license for?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:

Oh my gosh... >.< This is horrible. What's going to happen to the US Manga industry now? All we have left is VIZ, Yen Press, and Kodansha Comics (and Yen and Kodansha barely publishes anything!)

Don't forget Vertical. Vertical is quickly rising the ranks and becoming one of my favorite publishers, as they take the more niche/mature stuff.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad, although I stopped caring for Tokyopop after the Initial D debacle. Hopefully their popular series find new homes. I bet Seven Seas will want Qwaser Laughing
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Well, Hetalia is likely to be picked up in no time. Hopefully Flat, Chibisan Date, The Embalmer, and a few more titles as well...

Hopefully Yen will pick up Hetalia. I think they'd treat it well, and quite frankly, people would be foolish not to, it's on the bestseller list pretty much every week.

I'm hoping for Yen as well. I'd double dip for them.

There some titles (Alice in the Country of Hearts and Hetalia, for example) that will definitely be picked up. It's the smaller series that didn't bring in the sales that probably wont be re-licensed.
Songdragosa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Question though: Does anyone know if all the titles scheduled by Tokyopop are coming out before the company closes? The press release stated Tokyopop was shutting down on May 31st. So technically all the stuff before then could still be coming out, right?

That makes me hopeful for the last volume of the .hack//GU novels at least. No other company will probably pick up such an old series (heck, I'm surprised Tokyopop still stuck with it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25