• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well.... hopefully it'll be cheaper than Aniplex's prices... I don't wanna even imagine how they'd price it. yeesh!

Still, BD isn't a bad tradeoff. I personally thought Media Blasters was gonna get this one; it's kinda their style.
No dub though..... aww, man...
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh I don't have Blu-Ray and Katanagatari was just so good to

It is a combo pack they are offering for sale. You get both DVD and Blu-ray. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
NISA - you people are GODLY!!! Katanagatari was one of my favourite shows from last year and I was desperately hoping it would get an R1 release. I love your premium editions and will be snapping this one up, for sure. I was hot and cold on Arakawa - started watching it, dropped it, re-started and finished it. I'll buy it too, because I want to own all of NISA's output. I'm very impressed with NISA's taste in licenses.

Any chance you fine folks might get Bakemonogatari at some point? Wink
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I've been wanting to check out Katanagatari for a while now.
Blood- wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Or even Kaiba? I can picture them getting the series and releasing a very pretty box for it. God it would look so good on Blu-ray. ===D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Watched both through fansubs so these are going to be on my buy list. Never would have thought depressing Katanagatari would get licensed before upbeat and fun Bakemonogatari. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Katana (don't let the bright colors fool you, it's something of a heartbreaker), but Bake seems more accessible.

Never thought anyone would license a show so random and over the top like Arakawa. Nice to see NISA is willing to do bizarre niche titles like this.

Emerje

It's a matter of cost. Bakemonogatari is/was an extremely expensive license. The cost of licensing the show would be very difficult, even sub-only. However, I have a feeling the asking price may have come down some, so we may hear something on it this summer. Or the rights holder could have their head firmly implanted in their asses. It's really hard to call.
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll get both, not a big fan of the oversized boxes, bought Wagnaria, and it feels so out of place with all my other (have they announced a disc replacement program yet? It feels like it's gonna cost a decent amount to send the whole box back to TRSI), kinda waiting on a complete/regular edition for Toradora/Deity, but maybe if I get enough of them I'll find some place to put them.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Arakawa will be added to my shopping list. I totally don't mind the sub-only format since I can't imagine the series dubbed, and even if I could I wouldn't watch it in English.

With Kanatagatari licensed, let's hope Bakemonogatari will as well!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
lol Wrong *gatari. But I'll take it...
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Didn't think they would do so well so fast.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Well.... hopefully it'll be cheaper than Aniplex's prices... I don't wanna even imagine how they'd price it. yeesh!

Still, BD isn't a bad tradeoff. I personally thought Media Blasters was gonna get this one; it's kinda their style.
No dub though..... aww, man...

Their past releases have been around 59.99.

Funimation's combo sets are around the same price as similar DVD boxsets, since apparently having only one SKU# helps level off the costs [ie- it's cheaper to ship/track/package a 4 disc set than seperate releases for some titles], so I'm assuming this will be the case for NIS too. I'm guessing these shouldn't be too expensive. It looks like we'll be getting around 13 eps of content if they match NIS's previous sets [in Katanagatari's case, 6 hour long eps]
infjeff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Katanagatari, I'll probably be picking this up, but I think it deserves a good dub. But I shouldn't complain about a show on my wishlist being picked up. (Hopefully NISA can put out a problem-free release this time).

As for Arakawa, I actually just got around to watching it a few weeks ago. I'm on the fence with it, I generally like SHAFT, but it was kinda boring. Kinda like Bakemonogatari with most of the fun drained out. It was kinda like Pani Poni Dash in that it was all "Let's see just HOW WEIRD we can be!"
Maciste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how much the price for the Katanagatari box will be or, let's say, assume it'll be on a reasonable basis? Cause I got no knowledge when it comes to animes on the american market, but I'd be willing to import that set into my country (if the price including shipping would be within an acceptable range that is).
Thanks in advance.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I think I just mentioned a while back that NIS had nothing I wanted at the moment. Well that has now changed. Cool

Will be picking up Katanagatari. Why the crap was this licensed before Bakemonogatari though? Not that it needs to be because they're not releated, but Bakemonogatari is the more popular one of the author's works and a better show in my opinion.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Yussss, I've been wanting to see Katanagatari forever! It has such a neat aesthetic. NIS America, ILU.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8