• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Have only seen a little bit of Katanagatari but from what I've seen, it deserves NIS's special collectors treatment.

Hope it sells well for them, it seemed like it was overlooked when it aired.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Holy crap! YES to both!

Takeyo wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Sub-only BDs? You've got to be kidding...

Odd how two people can think the same thing and yet have the exact opposite reaction. Very Happy I keep hoping that S23 will start releasing BDs of its sub-only shows.

NISA seems to be the first to break that trend with BDs finally! I also hope Sentai will do so but I doubt it.

Emerje wrote:
Watched both through fansubs so these are going to be on my buy list. Never would have thought depressing Katanagatari would get licensed before upbeat and fun Bakemonogatari. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Katana (don't let the bright colors fool you, it's something of a heartbreaker), but Bake seems more accessible.

Never thought anyone would license a show so random and over the top like Arakawa. Nice to see NISA is willing to do bizarre niche titles like this.

Emerje

heh, Katanagatari is definitely a tragic downhill slide spoiler[one of the few where nearly "everyone dies".. and the ending about not being able to change history about not making one bit of difference after all that.. jeez] except for a few bright moments. Although I felt it was perhaps much more melancholic than outright grave-of-the-fireflies tragic

I wonder if both Katanagatari and Arakawa were expensive to license especially for bluray (advance payment and/or royalties) given that they were both successful in Japan and are relatively recent titles, though I wonder if their particular "nicheness" and possibly limited appeal factored in as well in the negotiations

Last edited by configspace on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I really like NIS business model, pick up the good scraps and market them in a way that actually works towards the target fan base. Its really kind of amazing they didn't think about doing this before. There head company has the connection, and they have the translation staff, its just a matter of learning how to print the DVD correctly (which they finally did). These two shows are going on my buy list!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
seriously NIS knows what's going on. They're subs are at least of respectable quality for a start-up and they're picking up moderately decent titles. I wouldn't actually mind if NIS picks up Madoka or any other SHAFT shows over Funimation for that matter.

EDIT: Does Arakawa only include season 1 or both season licenses?

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JLightstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Arakawa Under the Bridge.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Dammit. Just, dammit all. I hate NIS, so much. With Sentai Filmworks getting back into the dubbing scene they're like the only holdout of distributors releasing major series with no dub.

I've said it before: No dub, no buy. This is even worse than Right Stuf, though, because NIS is licensing nothing but series I desperately want. And their games have brilliant dubbing! Why are they releasing such hackjob anime?!

This is...ugh. So depressing. I didn't really think either of these would get licensed, now I see they are only to be not worth purchasing in the first place.

NIS, get the heck away from anime already! Just quit it! -.-

Blood- wrote:

Any chance you fine folks might get Bakemonogatari at some point? Wink

NO. Don't give them any bloody ideas, for christ's sake! FUNI, snap this up, please! If NIS gets another license I'm dying to pick up I don't know what I'll do. This is more depressing every time I see their name crop up. ~_~ Such a worthless company...

Last edited by SongstressCela on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Will be picking up Katanagatari. Why the crap was this licensed before Bakemonogatari though? Not that it needs to be because they're not releated, but Bakemonogatari is the more popular one of the author's works and a better show in my opinion.

Because a show about a guy fighting swordsmen/women with his bare hands is probably an easier sell then a dialogue filled show like Bakemonogatari. I'd think that Katanagatari's aesthic makes it an easier sell too. It's kind of reminiscent of new American animation (e.g. cartoon Network type stuff) too. Popular on the internets and in Japan doesn't really help NIS.

That being said I'll be grabbing Katanagatari on BD ... Arakawa on the other hand is a bit too out there for me. Also, Ugh @ all the people complaining about no dub. Some of us would rather have a shot at a show than a dub. This stupid, " OH NOES, NO DUB!? WTF!?" reaction is getting really old.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I had been thinking about trying out Katanagatari but it seemed like the kind of show that would be licensed here soon so I held off, happy to see I was right. Hope that ANN gets some preview episodes to show here so I can sample it first though.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Quote:
Will be picking up Katanagatari. Why the crap was this licensed before Bakemonogatari though? Not that it needs to be because they're not releated, but Bakemonogatari is the more popular one of the author's works and a better show in my opinion.

Because a show about a guy fighting swordsmen/women with his bare hands is probably an easier sell then a dialogue filled show like Bakemonogatari. I'd think that Katanagatari's aesthic makes it an easier sell too. It's kind of reminiscent of new American animation (e.g. cartoon Network type stuff) too. Popular on the internets and in Japan doesn't really help NIS.

That being said I'll be grabbing Katanagatari on BD ... Arakawa on the other hand is a bit too out there for me. Also, Ugh @ all the people complaining about no dub. Some of us would rather have a shot at a show than a dub. This stupid, " OH NOES, NO DUB!? WTF!?" reaction is getting really old.

Bakemonogatari is also produced by a completely different production team and it's a SHAFT "A-Level" work, meaning acquiring the license would probably be quite hefty, not to mention dialogue and sign/typesetting intensive.
kufirst

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally excited for Katanagatari being released but it looks like I'll have a set of Blu-rays I won't need, unless I fork some money to buy an HDTV, Blu-ray or Blu-ray drive.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh I don't have Blu-Ray and Katanagatari was just so good to

Well since it's a combo release, that won't be an issue. You'll have it on DVD until you can get a BD player.

Come to think of it, this is the first Nisioisin work brought over here isn't it? Here's hoping there's more to come!

The first animated Nisioisin work, there are novel releases. Go buy now. Very Happy
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
kufirst wrote:
I'm totally excited for Katanagatari being released but it looks like I'll have a set of Blu-rays I won't need, unless I fork some money to buy an HDTV, Blu-ray or Blu-ray drive.

so you should be thinking instead, "it looks like I'll have a set of DVDs I won't need in the near future" Very Happy
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Very excited that NISA is getting into the bluray game. Hopefully, since JP os the only audio track here, we can get avoid the lossy audio issue. I'll be hopefully getting both of these.
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Katanagatari sounds interesting, but I don't think I'm willing to give NISA any more money after how bad Pandora Hearts looked... Oh well.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
Does anyone know how much the price for the Katanagatari box will be or, let's say, assume it'll be on a reasonable basis? Cause I got no knowledge when it comes to animes on the american market, but I'd be willing to import that set into my country (if the price including shipping would be within an acceptable range that is).
Thanks in advance.

The MSRP is $69.99 for the first set of Katanagatari. The MSRP is also the same for Arakawa Under the Bridge (all of Season 1). Release date for both is 7/5/2011. Both will be made available at select online retailers: Right Stuf, The Anime Corner Store, Anime Pavilion, Anime Castle, and NIS America’s Online Store.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8