• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

Looking at the Katanagatari page, the only things that stand out to me (aside from NISA's insistence on removing all double vowels from character names) are that Hitei-hime was given a literal translation of Princess Denial and the Deviant Blades (Hentaitou, weren't they?) will now be called Klesha Bringers, which, um, feels a little off. Confused

Quick check on Wikipedia gives the following: "The Buddhist term kilesa (Pali; Sanskrit: kleśa or klesha) is typically translated as "defilement," "affliction" or "poison." In early Buddhist texts the kilesas generally referred to mental states which temporarily cloud the mind and manifest in unskillful actions. Over time the kilesas, and in particular the "Three Poisons" of greed, hatred, and delusion, came to be seen as the very roots of samsaric existence."

So, yeah. Thematically appropriate, but definitely awkward as hell.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Quote:
Hey, now that they're doing BDs I wonder what the chances of previous releases like Toradora! getting a BD release is?

I wouldn't say no to them if they were made available, but I'm pretty sure ToraDora! was only released on DVD in Japan. Either way, I'm curious to see if NISA follows through on its, "regular edition."

There's a BD box planned, but it's not solicited yet. If NISA were to release Toradora on BD, they'd have to wait for the Japanese one have its run, which is still a long ways off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
It's cool and then I get kinda meh cause there is no dub. Really it seems NIS is the only licensor left who is guaranteed not to dub what they release as Sentai is dubbing a few things here and there and Aniplex dubbed Durarara!! and might be doing more in the future based on it's sales.

It's kinda annoying to tell you the truth. Based on the interview that was on ANNcast the cost of a dub wasn't their primary concern. It was making a quality dub. They said they would want dubs better then their games for the anime they make. Which is a good idea as many of the games they release have really bad dubs. BUT Disgaea 2 and 3(especially 3) Had really good dubs so they can surely just high the same studio or whatever to make a dub that would easily be good enough for anime.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Dammit. Just, dammit all. I hate NIS, so much

Never understood the hate. Shouldn't the hate be directed at Funimation or Section 23 for not providing you with what you want?
As has been intimated before on the podcasts, Funimation has first chance at just about everything. Their decision is what has you upset.

It is like yelling at the cat because the beloved dog soiled the carpet.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Quote:
Will be picking up Katanagatari. Why the crap was this licensed before Bakemonogatari though? Not that it needs to be because they're not releated, but Bakemonogatari is the more popular one of the author's works and a better show in my opinion.

Because a show about a guy fighting swordsmen/women with his bare hands is probably an easier sell then a dialogue filled show like Bakemonogatari. I'd think that Katanagatari's aesthic makes it an easier sell too. It's kind of reminiscent of new American animation (e.g. cartoon Network type stuff) too. Popular on the internets and in Japan doesn't really help NIS.

Maybe, but Bakemonogatari has more overall fans and is more widely known. I'd think something like that would be licensed long before this.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

Looking at the Katanagatari page, the only things that stand out to me (aside from NISA's insistence on removing all double vowels from character names) are that Hitei-hime was given a literal translation of Princess Denial and the Deviant Blades (Hentaitou, weren't they?) will now be called Klesha Bringers, which, um, feels a little off. Confused

Quick check on Wikipedia gives the following: "The Buddhist term kilesa (Pali; Sanskrit: kleśa or klesha) is typically translated as "defilement," "affliction" or "poison." In early Buddhist texts the kilesas generally referred to mental states which temporarily cloud the mind and manifest in unskillful actions. Over time the kilesas, and in particular the "Three Poisons" of greed, hatred, and delusion, came to be seen as the very roots of samsaric existence."

So, yeah. Thematically appropriate, but definitely awkward as hell.

Actually, I wasn't questioning whether it was thematically appropriate (yes, I, too, did a quick reference before posting) but rather whether it was ever the creator's intent. If NishiOishiN or the anime writers actually used the term (煩悩 - bonnou, apparently), then fine. God knows that given all that rapid fire dialogue, it very well could have been in there. But on the other hand, if it's just a case of NISA embellishing on the script -- maybe someone just objects to the use of "hentai" or just doesn't think a literal translation sounds cool enough -- then the change is somewhat more questionable.

@KoH: Ooh, good news! Then, yeah, I'll be crossing my fingers for an HD release in a few years.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Any chance you fine folks might get Bakemonogatari at some point? Wink

Or even Kaiba? I can picture them getting the series and releasing a very pretty box for it. God it would look so good on Blu-ray. ===D:

Kaiba getting a R1 release on BD would be a dream come true. I wouldn't hold my breath. It tanked in Japan and there's a lot of things about it that make me think it wouldn't be a success here in the US when taking into account what is a success in the US.

SongstressCela wrote:
Dammit. Just, dammit all. I hate NIS, so much. With Sentai Filmworks getting back into the dubbing scene they're like the only holdout of distributors releasing major series with no dub.

Why are they releasing such hackjob anime?!

NO. Don't give them any bloody ideas, for christ's sake! FUNI, snap this up, please!

Sentai does terrible dubs. Have you heard Ghost Hound and the clips that they put out for High School of the Dead?

Not to mention that Sentai and Funi both do crappy packaging and think bonus items and special features should start and stop with flyers for other shows.

For packaging, Sentai is barebones but at least the quality is acceptable. Funi puts out stuff in crappy sleeves that always are bent up, banged up and have the ink peeling off upon arrival. On top of that, you'd be lucky to even get a one page flyer listing the episodes/chapter with a Funi release. Compare that to NISA's 30+ page full color art books and super high quality packaging.

I don't know how you could say NISA is the one doing hack jobs. You'd really prefer a crappy dub (Sentai), the only bonus items being flyers for other shows (Funi & Sentai), and "Brand new" packaging that arrives damaged on arrival (Funi) over a high quality sub only release with a full hard cover artbook and quality packaging?

Kruszer wrote:
Maybe, but Bakemonogatari has more overall fans and is more widely known. I'd think something like that would be licensed long before this.

More fans in Japan doesn't mean much for R1. Haruhi flopping was a good sign of how being popular in Japan and amongst fansubbers doesn't mean jack crap when it comes to making money in the US.

Katanagatari features a guy who brutally beats the crap out of and murders people in every episode. Combining him and others, every episode is filled with like 2-12 people getting murdered. On top of that it's got moe characters and it's very well animated. I think that makes it a much easier sell in the US than it being popular in Japan or having a lot of fansub fans.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why some people don't "get" that one of the reasons certain titles don't get licensed is because the license holder may be asking for too much money. I have no idea if that is the case with Bakemonogatari but it's not a bad assumption when a popular title goes unlicensed in NA to at least consider that possibility. There can be other reasons as well. For example, I've heard that the decision to grant a license rarely (if ever) falls on one person. There is a committee that has to decide. No consensus, no license. This is all pretty basic stuff. No need to be mystified about unlicensed popular titles.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
We here will wait till they complete the series first with hybrid discs. We're tired of getting burned. Wink

"We" who?
"here" where?
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Will def be buying Katanagatari!

I will by anything NisOisin's had anything to do with...he is a literary god!

Arakawa was ok, never even got through the first season, prob won't be buying it.

Way to go NIS, keep up the good work!
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Iridescent_Fall wrote:

Also, I am perfectly fine about it being sub only. Razz Maybe if the dub-only buyers would pick up these sets, they could support future dubbing efforts. Not only that, but I'm sure NISA would more readily listen to actual customer suggestions (ie. wanting a dub) than stubborn forum posts.

I bought both Toradora sets, and the first set is sold out at the wholesale level. Where's my English dub announcement? Razz
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Hate to say, but I think the dubbing efforts will go to the their games department more than a dub for a future anime. Their current model seems to work well for their anime department. I guess they could try a dub if they work on games that don't have VA in them for a good stretch of time.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes. If you bought their stuff expecting a dub you were ripped off as much as those from 2005 who bought bootlegged fansubs where you'd read "not for sale, rent, or ebay" during the interval of every episode.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Maciste wrote:
Does anyone know how much the price for the Katanagatari box will be or, let's say, assume it'll be on a reasonable basis? Cause I got no knowledge when it comes to animes on the american market, but I'd be willing to import that set into my country (if the price including shipping would be within an acceptable range that is).
Thanks in advance.

The MSRP is $69.99 for the first set of Katanagatari. The MSRP is also the same for Arakawa Under the Bridge (all of Season 1). Release date for both is 7/5/2011. Both will be made available at select online retailers: Right Stuf, The Anime Corner Store, Anime Pavilion, Anime Castle, and NIS America’s Online Store.

Hahahaha, are you kidding me? $70 + shipping for a dubless anime? DIAF, NIS, honestly. They're so big on overpricing their stuff because ooooh, extras, but, really. You can get pretty much any special edition of a dubbed series with just as many extras included for a whole hell of a lot less.

Iridescent_Fall wrote:

Also, I am perfectly fine about it being sub only. Razz Maybe if the dub-only buyers would pick up these sets, they could support future dubbing efforts. Not only that, but I'm sure NISA would more readily listen to actual customer suggestions (ie. wanting a dub) than stubborn forum posts.

That'd be nice, but I don't have the cash to randomly buy subbed DVDs in the hopes NIS might listen to me. Sentai Filmworks, on the other hand, immediately got my cash when they started rereleasing series I'd been much looking forward to with a dub added. They want me to pony up the cash, then they provide a dub. Again, it's even more infuriating they had a perfect role for Taiga in Toradora thanks to Cristina Vee, but, lolno.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Never understood the hate. Shouldn't the hate be directed at Funimation or Section 23 for not providing you with what you want?
As has been intimated before on the podcasts, Funimation has first chance at just about everything. Their decision is what has you upset.

It is like yelling at the cat because the beloved dog soiled the carpet.

It is, a little. I'd been begging Funimation to grab Toradora since it came out, so yeah, I'm kind of annoyed they passed it over. Funi just doesn't want anything to do with slice of life series, which kind of ticks me off, but still. I've never run into packaging issues with them, so if I have to have a choice between a lack of special editions and a dub, or some huge release but subbed only, well... I'll take the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
heh, songstress feel entitled much? d'you remember paying $20 for a VHS tape with 2 eps on it? Things have come a really long way in terms of what we see, and what gets licensed. Sure, it ain't cheap but it's BD, right as it comes out. wait a few years, and sure it'll be cheaper... assuming they don't sell out their run.

d'ya know that for a mere $100 PLUS SHIPPING you can get the latest MacrossF movie without any translation at all on BluRay from Japan, because that's how much they pay there for stuff. In case you hadn't noticed, WE are the secondary market

Whining about prices, and lack of dubs here, instead of writing a nice polite letter to producers asking for a dub, just shows you don't really care.

sorry that the offerings don't meet with her highnesses expectations. I guess you won't be buying them.

that's how it works, if you don't like the price, you don't have to pay it. if you don't like sub only, you don't have to pay for it.
DIAF? Die in a Fire? backatcha kid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8