• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Evangelion: No one understands it (and no you don't)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
As this progresses this may endeed become a spoiler...

I have watched the end of evangelion movies 6 times now and my friends have all watched it as well and we all agree on one sole thing: No one friggin understands it.

My friend Corey has had the complete box set for about a year now and has passed it around the neighborhood for all of us to enjoy (thank God because [as] aint doin it any justice) with the movie to enjoy as well. However when it comes down to it no one gets what the cukf is goin on towards the end. Yea yea Shinji is god or whatever but whats up with all the mosiac and the flash and all the crap that happens later. I mean really.

You can't tell me that you understand i cause no one seems to get it. I mean Shinji is a giant, Rei is doin her own thing, the world is cukfde up thiers a huge purple hole in the ground, they flash back to where shinji is chokin asuka (hey did you know that their is such thing as a silent "u"), he's chokin her over some water...

And now where half the time i turn it off: Power lines, Three chicks walkin and a pan of a movie theater and then a group of people and all this crap goin and then some tvma blur shots of our favorite hero doin some mmm mmm with a another certain mmm mmms and then he looks over the credits roll and i feel disappointed.

THis thing is like 12 years old so someone here has to know what the kufc is goin on.
Please help break it down for me so when i say that its the greatest anime of all time i can finally back up what i say with some solid facts instead of

"...look buddy, asuka got killed in the worst way, shinji turned into the ibhtc that he's been for the past 20 sum episodes, NERV got nuked, shinji is God, Kaoru pulled a Tupac, Ikari is a pedophile, Adam took his first baby steps, rei touched the crew and they turned into apple jelly, they were giants, this phone line popped up, these japanese chicks awere strollin in the middle, some flashes, he choked asuka, i don't know what happened in the end but i'd watch it again..."
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The simplest answer as to what happens at the end is that it's purposely left open. It's for each person who watches it to decide what ultimately occured. The sequence of events that leads up to the very end though, is explainable. When I have some time this evening, I will attempt to touch on the major happenings, unless someone beats me to it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
COvert-Neo-Beatles Music Video for unwashed masses. Also, something about mind control chips and scottish highlanders.

I THINK THIS SO YOU SHOULD THINK IT TOO.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
COvert-Neo-Beatles Music Video for unwashed masses. Also, something about mind control chips and scottish highlanders.I THINK THIS SO YOU SHOULD THINK IT TOO.

Please no BS people im serious
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
COvert-Neo-Beatles Music Video for unwashed masses. Also, something about mind control chips and scottish highlanders.I THINK THIS SO YOU SHOULD THINK IT TOO.

Please no BS people im serious

What the hell do you call that first post then? I WAS SERIOUS.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
when i give the run down of the movie thats usually all i can say when i try to sum up 3 hours in 20 secs because it all goes to htsi after shinji jumps into the damn eva
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Sober up, please.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
(thank God because [as] aint doin it any justice)

Er...how so? Running it at a decent time with minimal edits isn't doing it justice?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyosukekasuga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Regarding EoE -

Dang, everyone knows this is like the most controversial ending ever. They'll still be talking about this 50 years from now (that and Pokemon: Senior Citizen Silver Year Masters) Wink

More serously, you can take EofE, and in fact all of EVA, two ways:

1) Everything happens exactly the way you see it on screen
2) It's actually just a a visual allegory of the life of a really messed up teenager. In other words, what happens in EVA is really not like you see it, but a reflection of the emotions going on within Shinji as he emotionally grows up. That explains why the original Eps. 25 and 26 are the way they are, as Anno's trying to explain how the boy becomes a man, but does so in a really allegorical way (hence the fully loaded symbology in the show).

OK, it's not the best explanation, but I would suggest at least considering it. Of course, if you want to believe that we're all made up of Cherry Syrup and we're just waiting for some white-haired Lolita to unplugg us, go ahead.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
The only things that "nobody understands" are things that were intentionally left without explanation. Thus it's not really a matter of understanding it, but how you interpret it. NGE's reality is how you percieve it.

EDIT: spoiler[Heh, just like Instrumentality. Anime hyper]
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
- Shinji represents anime fandom
- Asuka represents the "traditional" anime heroine
- Rei represents the anti-heroine, which until Eva, didn't really exist

spoiler[Shinji trying to choke Asuka and "doing his business" while Asuka lies comatose in a hospital bed] is Hideaki Anno's middle finger to "otaku" culture, telling them what he thinks of them. He believes that, although they claim to love the artform, they're actually killing it, because they spoiler[jack off to imaginary cartoon girls] instead of, oh I don't know, getting lives and actually supporting the anime industry in a healthy way.

It is a prophecy that has been fulfilled by the increasing compartmentalization and fetishism of modern anime, to the point where the industry functions only because of the dysfunctional hardcore fans who will buy every bit of merchandise you throw at them just so they can keep watching their favorite maid alien ninja gun robot show.

Oh, and don't listen to anything Carl Horn tries to tell you about Eva.
kyosukekasuga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
Well, while I can buy Shinji as a model for otaku, I don't buy Azuka and Rei as heroine/anti-heroine modeled on anime characters, though they are opposites.

While many have suggested that EVA is Anno's way of telling Otaku to go get lost, I think it's more like Anno is telling Otaku that they can actually have a life, and he's trying to show them how (clue: what does the word Evangelion meaning? gospel. No, really!). You have to realise just how many shonen in Japan are introverted otaku and Anno, who was like the Otaking, realized that this in the long run wasn't much of life.

This is blasphemy to some I'm sure but anyone with any experience realizes from watching that EVA draws really strong parallels with otaku culture.

Oh, and about Carl Horn, whom I know and count as a friend, I don't think his analysis on EVA is that far off the mark, though he seems to think that EVA has somesort of a Yaoi subtext to it.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I just throw in my two cents (what else are forums for?).

I thought EoE had several major themes, of which included knocks at the Otaku culture and an appreciation for life (as shown in the real life shots of Japan in the film: the calm mornings, the pervading mist, the cat being a cat; all of the small, inconsequential things that life peaceful and worth embracing).

But I think the most profound theme in EoE is the paradigm shift in the universe's dogma from a messianic base of salvation to a Gospel of Thomas base of salvation. Meaning that in New Age Gospel (Shin Seiki Evangelion) it was always put forth to Shinji (our reluctant-messiah if you would indulge me) to be the hero, to be the man. And in EoE, he is given the lives of the entire human race and told decide their fate, and he chooses a fate. However, after that "wrong" (to take Shinji's word) state-of-being, the fate of Humanity is no longer left to one man (Shinji or Gendo) or one group (SEELE or NERV [though that could be argued as Gendo but I needed a second choice]) but to the individuals themselves -- it is their choice to save themselves or to not.

The last twenty minutes of the film or so seems to be just a smashing together of Freudian imagery, emotional catharsis (for Anno and Shinji), and an ending as unexpected and proper than I have ever seen.

. . .

But then again, it is all, literally, a matter of perspective.
kyosukekasuga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
It was Christ who said "And the Meek shall inherit the Earth," and that certainly was what happened with Shinji.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
coldfusion5050 wrote:
Meaning that in New Age Gospel (Shin Seiki Evangelion) it was always put forth to Shinji (our reluctant-messiah if you would indulge me) to be the hero, to be the man. And in EoE, he is given the lives of the entire human race and told decide their fate, and he chooses a fate. However, after that "wrong" (to take Shinji's word) state-of-being, the fate of Humanity is no longer left to one man (Shinji or Gendo) or one group (SEELE or NERV [though that could be argued as Gendo but I needed a second choice]) but to the individuals themselves -- it is their choice to save themselves or to not.

Exactly.

camelot187757, I've written enough on Eva on these boards over the time I've been posting here to account for a thesis paper, at the very least. I don't really feel much like recounting it all yet again, unless I must. If you have specific parts (occurences) of(in) EoE that you would like explained, I would be happy to do so to the best of my ability. I suppose the question I should ask you is, do you have any specific questions, as opposed to something along the lines of "WTF happened?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3