• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll: Biglobe's Most Popular Winter 2011 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Although I am surprised that Wandering Son and Fractale got like 2 digit ranks.

Noitamina shows. I think that's all I have to say about that.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
And what a lot of the shows this season didn't have but IS had was a real plot.

... what? Laughing
Yeah, they had a real plot in the last 2-3 episodes. Plot which was unnecessary because they were doing perfectly fine just with a little action and mostly harem.

DmonHiro wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:

Dunno about that. That new one (Ano hi something) has the potential to be more heart wrecking than Madoka. At least for me it's guaranteed, but I'll wait and watch before judging it on raw quality grounds.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Dunno about that. That new one (Ano hi something) has the potential to be more heart wrecking than Madoka. At least for me it's guaranteed, but I'll wait and watch before judging it on raw quality grounds.

No, that's not what I meant. Quality has nothing to do with it. Noitamina shows usually get really low ratings, popularity wise, right now.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
egoist wrote:
A list where Oniichan no crap beat a bunch of better shows doesn't look very reliable to me.

To a certain degree, I should not really be surprised that moe shows beat more mainstream shows such as Bakuman and Beelzebub. After all, none of those shows contain fanservice and have only a small handful of female characters.

Oniichan no whatever isn't a moe show. It's comedy, and incest, flavored with loli.

I wouldn't say that it's flavored with loli. Oniichan has some moe elements in it but that's it.

I would say the list is reliable to me. I was going to finish Oniichan, but I am just going to wait for the BD rips to come out. The extreme censorship makes it hard for me to watch that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
that's just creepy.. my top 5 anime from winter are those, not in the same order mind you but still... that's just weird
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
the poll looks right. it's similar to what people like on alot of online anime forums. yeah IS is very popular based on number of posts on IS topic. Nobody discusses Bakuman, Star Driver ... just say.

Bakuman and Star Driver both have 20+ eps, but IS and Madoka Magic have more longer threadsthan them.

The blu-ray sale will tell you the true story later.

well, like most tiny, voluntary, single-vote polls, I wouldn't pay it much mind. Yeah only for the very top it seem indicative of big sellers with Madoka, IS, and Index II.. but for the rest, the votes don't correlate with sales at all so far:

poll (rank, votes) wrote:

5 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? 151
6 Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto 150

8 Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne—!! 125
9 Bakuman. 124

11 Dragon Crisis! 101
13 Freezing 95

sales (avg/vol) wrote:

Kore wa Zobie Desuka? 1,055+*2,899=*3,954 (Studio Deen) -- vol.1 DVD+BD
STAR DRIVER: Kagayaki no Takuto *4,097+*7,300=11,397 (3+) (Bones) -- vol.1-3 DVD+BD

Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Sukijanaindakarane (ZEXCS)
-- 2011/03/09 *3,141 Vol. 1 (One episode, lol) -- vol.1 BD
Bakuman. *1,032+***515=*1,547 (3+) (J.C.Staff) -- vol.1-3 DVD+BD

Dragon Crisis! ***582 (2+) (Studio Deen) -- vol.1-2 BD
Freezing *2,062+*4,180=*6,242 (ACGT/FUNimation) -- vol.1 DVD+BD
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
The thing is that with anime because of the nature of the business where seeing massive sales on certain anime while the rest try to survive on the slim pickings that remain.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The thing is that with anime because of the nature of the business where seeing massive sales on certain anime while the rest try to survive on the slim pickings that remain.

pretty much so, this is how license companies work as well, they see what sells and what doesn't and pick up what does, not that it's a bad thing per say but it's kinda outdated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
This some how seem right and wrong
infjeff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
infjeff wrote:
Funimation!!! Look at this list!!! Magical girls are in your future! Very Happy

Hear, hear! Very Happy ...Huh, it seems like I said something like this in another thread. Oh yeah, I did.

The only new show that I've been bothered to watch past the first 2-3 episodes from this past season is Madoka. And considering how probably no series since... what, Wolf's Rain? Fullmetal Alchemist? Eureka Seven? Here and Now, Then or There? (actually saw that after E7.) Whatever it was, it has seriously been a while since I've been so genuinely moved or excited by a series... great to see its popularity continuously reinforced.

Not to count one's chickens before the eggs for them are even laid, but I'm really curious as to what an English voice-cast would be like for this. (sure hope there will be an English cast for this, whoever licenses this.) The last time that I personally saw a well-acted drama show whose cast is almost literally all young girls (and an extremely small cast at that), was, I think, Haibane Renmei... I have a very narrow idea about the good remaining VAs nowadays, especially female VAs. Thus, the only relatively new(?) female VA I can think of now is Maxey Whitehead...

EDIT: Oh yeah, Angel Beats actually did genuinely move me as well... that actually, physically made me cry more than once, heh. And then there's Elfen Lied that might've impacted me some years back, too...

I look forward to the day I can hear Kyubey in English. His voice will make or break the future dub. You need that perfect combination of "I'm cute and innocent" and "I'm a freakin' psychopath" that results in that serene malevolence.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Seems poorly worded and not a conspiracy - perhaps it was the viewers ranked the shows they liked without any defined list to pick from?

Either way for me that list is a bit meh. Rainbow Gate being anything but dead last is telling.

enurtsol wrote:
Guys, guys, as the articles states, self-selected respondents made the survey. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:

there wasn't enough to exploit in the shows, hardcore otaku don't like a serious tone with their lolis or traps and they blew it off. I loved wandering son for what it did but because there wasn't enough cheap exploits or other things the crowd that buys it isn't going to give it a second glance, they would want something like in baka to test or bridget from guilty gear. Not saying baka to test is a bad anime that's what most of the fans over there want.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
there wasn't enough to exploit in the shows, hardcore otaku don't like a serious tone with their lolis or traps and they blew it off.

You don't really need to rationalize with sales in Japan. If there are cute girls (preferably very young) with a decent story and good writing or just enough fanservice by a popular otaku studio, it's pretty much guaranteed sales. Otherwise how would you apply that theory to Madoka Magica?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
there wasn't enough to exploit in the shows, hardcore otaku don't like a serious tone with their lolis or traps and they blew it off.

You don't really need to rationalize with sales in Japan. If there are cute girls (preferably very young) with a decent story and good writing or just enough fanservice by a popular otaku studio, it's pretty much guaranteed sales. Otherwise how would you apply that theory to Madoka Magica?

hmm cute girls is enough, if you take away the horror aspect or killing then all you get is hidimari sketch with magical girls, "that's my opinion though" Look at shows like kurernia or dennou coil, they are both good on their own merits but well some of the hard core fans want something more.. if you catch my drift. I am not a 100% on this though and hell i know this is a rumour but there is talk of doing a spin off to magical madako with no killing or horror since a lot fans complained about it, but that's all it is though a rumor. I personally love magical madokoa and wish it got a streaming licensing here i was going in for cute girls and got...wait no no NO WTF....!! I love the fact some had the balls to turn the genre upside down and beat the living hell out of it, all that aside that's all I can really think of to be honest with you.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I am not a 100% on this though and hell i know this is a rumour but there is talk of doing a spin off to magical madako with no killing or horror since a lot fans complained about it, but that's all it is though a rumor.

Pretty sure director Akiyuki Shinbo said that he would like to do that, mostly for his own pleasure (he's a well known lolicon after all). The fans in Japan, particularly on 2ch are absolutely loving PMMM. There's no question that it will be the highest selling series of the winter season, and it could even knock Bakemonogatari off its perch in terms of highest selling TV anime on BluRay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4