• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne...The Movie VS The TV Show...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
After watching the movie for the 1st time on AS one night i loved it. Eventuly i got around to watching the series a few mounths later. The series wasn't that bad, animation could have been better I think(but i forget the year it relesed...i think it was mid 90's,if so it was decent),but the story didn't grab me too much.

After completing the TV Series i decided to rewatch the movie. That is when it realy hit me. The 2 of them are ALMOST the same thing, the movie is basicly a different version of it. I have no idea as to a time line of when the movie coinsides with the show, and for that matter it is imposable for it 2.spoiler[ how is it that the brother dies in both the movie and the tv show and is some how reencarnated for one or the either? How can he not have Escaflowne and have already met up with Alen and his gang + the princess, and if this is after he already met up with them how is his brother alive?]

After that is said, I realy have no idea what the makes of the movie were thinking when they put it out. For some reason though i did like the movie better then the show, prehaps it is because what happend in 1hr 30 mins is almost the same as what happend over 26 episodes. This realy bugged me when I relised that.

Dose anyone else feel the same?

*note: to understand this realy I ask alot more, mostly retorical, questions in the Spoiler spot. Due to the content of the questions being asked and the info being reveled it is located in Spoiler.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
The movie isn't a continuation, it's more or less a retelling of the same story, hence the similarities. While I thought the movie was decent I thought the series was ten times better. The characters were far more fleshed out and I liked the developments and events in the series far more than the more straightforward and poorly paced movie.

I think it comes down to what you saw first. I saw the TV series well before I ever saw the movie and I just hated how the series was butchered to make it in to a quick flick. Most of all I hated the changes to the characters in the movie as opposed to how they were in the series, from personality to appearance.

The movie was alright, and worth the low price I paid for it, but the series was way better in nearly every way aside from maybe animation quality which one should expect since one was a movie and the other a series. I'd have preferred if the movie were a continuation of the series, rather than a hacked up retelling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
First, the director of the TV series is also the director of the movie. He wanted to retell the story in a different way for the movie; a way that would be potentially more appealing to male viewers. The TV series really does have a lot more appeal for female viewers.

Second, as Keonyn pointed out, the movie is not a continuation of the TV series. It doesn't fall in the same timeline. It takes place in an alternate universe with characters that are often similar (but not identical) to their movie counterparts.

I saw the TV series first, and I absolutely loved it. The characters, the world, the story...everything was amazing. When I first heard about the movie, I was skeptical, and I didn't want to see it. Then I got my hands on a copy of the movie and I decided I should watch it....

And I fell in love with the movie just as much as with the TV series. I knew that it wasn't the same universe, and going into it knowing that allowed me to really enjoy the version of the story being told by the movie. It has more focus in some respects than the TV series, and I have to say that I like Dilandau's ending in the movie a lot better than in the TV series.

Oh, and just for kicks and giggles...there are also two different manga versions, started at different points in the production of the TV series. One is more shounen, the other is shoujo. The character designs in the shounen series are vastly different from those in the shoujo manga, TV series, or movie. Also, the manga storylines aren't much like the anime storylines.

So, I can't say that the Escaflowne movie and TV series situation bugged me all that much. There are at least four versions of the story, so why should I be upset by it?

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'd have preferred if the movie were a continuation of the series, rather than a hacked up retelling.

Yea i have to agree on that, i think that is what realy anoyed me the most is that it had no real relavence to the show at all.

Keonyn wrote:
The movie isn't a continuation, it's more or less a retelling of the same story

You can't even realy call it that, because of the events in the Tv show are no were near the events in the movie. Just think of what happened to the the older Brother in the show compared to the movie. They also changed the story its self in the movie. (pisses me off cause i cant rember names of these people) The father wasn't killed by the older brother, as shown in the movie, and realy the younger brother had no real reson to hate him other then the abndoment issue. The entier reason for fighting in the movie is changed from the orgnal show aswell.

Realy, the only thing that you can say is the same are the names used in the both other then that, you would think they are 2 different show.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I've seen quite a few Escaflowne movie threads, but I think this one comments on it fairly well.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Realy, the only thing that you can say is the same are the names used in the both other then that, you would think they are 2 different show.

That's stretching it. There are a fair number of similarities, in the basic set-up. The same thing was done with the two Escaflowne manga...neither of them tells the same story as the movie or the TV show, but they all have some of the same basic parts: setting, characters, some events I believe...

So they are 4 different ways of telling a story, if you were only given the basics to base the story on.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I saw the movie several months before seeing the series, and I thought the movie was OK. However, once I saw the series, I enjoyed the characters and the plot in the TV version better, and started thinking, "All right, wth kind of metamorphosis did these characters go through to get to their movie versions?" Plus, they cut out the main villain and almost all of the fight scenes involving Escaflowne itself. And, to do a little shameless advertising. . .if you didn't like the movie, or even if you did, watch your favorite torrent distribution sites for "The Catastrophe of Escaflowne," a fandub produced by some people in my school's anime club. It's a parody dub that contains a surprising number of ripoffs of Lord of the Rings, Lion King, Final Fantasy, Transformers, Utena, and Chrono Trigger, in addition to a host of anime references from Evangelion to Bible Black. The soundtrack has been heavily revised. And, to comment on a clichéd element of the end mentioned in the other post, the fandub has spoiler[Sora, renamed "Chii," telling Lord Bus Ford Truck (AKA Van) and Hitomi, "Now, you must go. For no discernible reason, the structural integrity of this castle is collapsing. Laughing ]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show much more. The movie was very pretty, and cool in parts, but it suffered form the typical anime movie "sin" of trying to cram way too much information into a single feature length product, leaving it a somewhat confusing mess of loose threads, random scenes, and deus ex machinae. Like most, it feels like the equivalent of taking the Lord of the Rings trilogy of movies and cutting it down to an hour and a half total. As a 26 episode run it just hung together much better, I think.

And yeah, the movie was a retelling of the show, just an alternate retelling, similar to how the Eva movie was a retelling of the last two episodes of the show, or how Gundam SEED is a retelling of Gundam 0079. It's basically the same plot (or parts of it at least), using "ultimate" versions of the characters. If you want to further blow your mind, read the manga, which is yet again quite different from BOTH animated projects.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed the Escaflowne movie a lot more than I did the TV show. The TV show was good, but it had too many shoujo cliches for my tastes, I just couldn't get attached to the characters any, and for someone who's supposed to be the main character, Hitomi feels pretty useless. She doesn't really serve a major purpose in the plot until near the end of the series. The rest of the time it's more like she's observing everything that's going on around her rather than actually being apart of it. I found Hitomi's angsty personality in the movie to be far more interesting and I just generally found the main characters at least to be more entertaining in the movie. The minor characters may not have gotten any development like they did in the TV show, but the movie was produced for fans of the series who should already be familiar with the characters to begin with, not for a general audience.

I also thought the movie had much better animation in the TV show. I especially liked the movie's character designs better than the TV show's. I couldn't stand the pointy noses of the TV series and the only character design I liked from the series was Folken's. Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about the movie was the ending, which I felt was a little too anti-climatic for my tastes, but I never cared that much for the TV show's ending either, so I definetly like the Escaflowne movie more than the series, and Yubiwa is an awesome ending theme song. Not to mention, I thought Van and Allen were a lot hotter in the movie than in the TV show. ^^
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1