• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deadman Wonderland (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I just feel like somewhere along the lines Deadman Wonderland became a different, inferiour anime to what it started out being. When it was the personal mystery of Ganta and what the heck happened, it was compelling. And the violence was effective back then too. This was the show I was excited to watch every week.

Now it's just an prison escape anime with more gore than is necessary and a good stable of canon fodder who we don't care about in the slightest. This is the show I'll go three weeks without watching until I finally have some time to kill.

Shiro is probably the only thing that really is still good about the show and I am interested in seeing where her plot goes. But we just have too many characters for the series to function at the moment. But hopefully some more of them will be killed off soon.

For a show that has lots of blood and killing there are just to many characters and not enough of them die off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Truered

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The show continues to annoy me. The chip clearly blew up, yet none of those idiots seemed to notice. Retards.

I don't normally post in the various ongoing series threads here, as I'm normally behind, but the start of episode 10 irritated me so much I had to comment. I dunno, maybe they're related to Chief Wiggum, in this case "on no the chip landed in that smoking crater!" Razz

This show started out as one of my favourites of the season, but it has just fallen apart from me. At first it seemed to have a gritty feel (with a hint of battle royale) with a dash of the unexplained and the fantastical. But leaving an authoritative guard system and gritty feeling behind (that lead guard really faded into nothingness) one of the main antagonists is now a guy dressed as a priest who launches attacks by playing(?) a modified guitar.

It was about the point he showed up that I knew this show had moved into 'meh' territory.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
So did they ever plan to finish this?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure a second season is intended. Whether or not it actually gets made I guess depends on how the first one did/does.

Look, I agree these shows has some serious flaws, yet for me, I still find it generally pretty watchable. I'll watch a second season if there is one, knowing there will be things that make me grit my teeth in annoyance. Annoyance #1 - the absolutely revolting reveling in physical cruelty.

But yeah, next time show us more of the E Cup guard will ya? And have a hot springs episode. And a beach episode. Do this thing up right, mmmkay?
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm pretty sure a second season is intended. Whether or not it actually gets made I guess depends on how the first one did/does.

Look, I agree these shows has some serious flaws, yet for me, I still find it generally pretty watchable. I'll watch a second season if there is one, knowing there will be things that make me grit my teeth in annoyance. Annoyance #1 - the absolutely revolting reveling in physical cruelty.

But yeah, next time show us more of the E Cup guard will ya? And have a hot springs episode. And a beach episode. Do this thing up right, mmmkay?

wait you're trolling right? things feel apart so fast I don't even know how there could even be a 2nd season when things pretty much seem to be wrapping up. As well as the hot springs, beach episodes, I really hope your kidding there. If anything that would just make it even worse an annoying then it already is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, I was kidding about the beach and hot springs episodes (sort of), but I don't know where you get the impression that things "seem to be wrapping up." Have you seen episode 12 yet? You'd have to be pretty stunned not to see that the story is very far from over.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the TV show ended at the end of the manga chapter 21 of 45, there's plenty of material for a second season. Except for skipping some things from earlier on, the Deadman Wonderland anime follows the main storyline of the manga.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Well I just assumes so. I have not yet watched the last 2 episodes yet. As for Crunchyroll does not have a episode listed for next week I was just guessing things were ending soon.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
So far this one seems to be going the High School of the Dead route - i.e. finishing up its immediate story arc but not even coming close to completing the actual story. I dearly hope another season is forthcoming to resolve the outstanding issues, but I have so often seen series like this simply stop permanently at this point that I'm not going to hold my breath.

And Blood-, I never found the Guard Captain to be all that sexy. Give me more Shiro, and her more proportionately-built sexiness, any day! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
I actually quite like Shiro but I have more of a "DAAAAAAAWWWWW" reaction to her as opposed to, "Hey - how YOU doin'?" The Captain, on the other hand, is more than welcome to stomp up and down my back in her combat boots as she berates me for my worthlessness. Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
i.e. finishing up its immediate story arc but not even coming close to completing the actual story.

I became aware of this when Ganta saw spoiler[his attorney as a staff member]. It was at this point the filler episodes started showing up.

It was a let down when the writers introduced a new set of antagonists just to ensure the series didn't end on its original 12 episode run which is a good sign of "desperation writing" in order to keep an audience's attention.

For further proof on how this concept works, please visit any CW series during prime time.

Despite its flaws, I'll admit a second season will sucker me into it only because I have to see how the dumbest person in anime resolves the question "I wonder how he knows?"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Not that I'd want to try to argue for Ganta's intelligence, but to give the poor, unfairly prosecuted (and persecuted) little guy his due, he has not has the same access to clues about the connection between The Red Man and Shiro that we the audience have.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Key wrote:
i.e. finishing up its immediate story arc but not even coming close to completing the actual story.

I became aware of this when Ganta saw spoiler[his attorney as a staff member]. It was at this point the filler episodes started showing up.

What filler? It follows the manga for the most part. There are some characters missing and scenes switched around, but that is about it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...he has not has the same access to clues about the connection between The Red Man and Shiro that we the audience have.

I'll agree most clues are on our side, but let's consider human nature for a second. Ganta is sitting there listening to Shiro sing a song that, by her own words, his mother made up. Instantly, this reduces the audience to a few select people.

Even with this knowledge, and given what he has just been through, it is absolutely stupid on his part not to put a person who is the strongest connection between the Red Man and his predicament as the primary suspect.

Perhaps during all those fights he's suffered some head trauma because most humans blame another with less information than this.

@Eivion:
I don't read manga, so for me, an anime must carry its own weight in order to deliver its story. For me, this delivery failed when I clearly saw the final set of episodes was purposely written to ensure the story continues in another season.

That's not a bad thing, but it was just too noticeable not to find it displeasurable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:
...he has not has the same access to clues about the connection between The Red Man and Shiro that we the audience have.

I'll agree most clues are on our side, but let's consider human nature for a second. Ganta is sitting there listening to Shiro sing a song that, by her own words, his mother made up. Instantly, this reduces the audience to a few select people.

Even with this knowledge, and given what he has just been through, it is absolutely stupid on his part not to put a person who is the strongest connection between the Red Man and his predicament as the primary suspect.

Perhaps during all those fights he's suffered some head trauma because most humans blame another with less information than this.

Except that Ganta has never seen anything that indicates that one person can actually morph into a completely different person. Remember, with Shiro/Red Man we are not talking about a simple split personality thing here. When in Red Man form, Shiro - normally a teenage (?) - girl actually looks like an adult male. Given that, it would be a rather incredible leap for Ganta to go, "hmm, Shiro, you know a song my Mom made up and the Red Man knows that same song - *gasp* - the only logical conclusion is that YOU must be the Red Man!!!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11