• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deadman Wonderland (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I read the early chapters of the manga, but even so the second episode felt way too rushed to me, and some of my favorite scenes from the chapters covered either had less impact or were removed entirely. Definitely disappointed.

Hopefully future episodes will be paced better.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show. From a never read the manga perspective I liked the pacing.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
^ Same, i never read the manga. But I'm finding this anime fascinating.

To be honest, episode two made me shake a little. It wasn't that the people were dieing left and right though that was shocking. But, it was the reaction of the crowd. Horrible, but some how i felt a very accurate depiction of how people really act. Through out history, people have gone and watch violence for fun. I actually compared this to the gladiators, when talk to my friends. :I i can't say i approve of acting like that though, but i don't find it out of the realm of possibility.

Over all :< i kinda feel like despite the fantastic Elements, there are a lot of parts which I can relate to how humans really act. Just what i think though. idk, depends on your view of humans, and there inherit nature I guess.

I will keep watching cause it's interesting. It's like a murder mystery, and i love them murder mysterious. now excuse me as a sink back into the abyss, and get back to work.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
too be fair it seemed the audience wasn't aware that people were actually dieing and thought it was just an act with special effects.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
but still, :< Even if i thought it was special effects i would have been grossed out, I wouldn't find entertainment in it. :I getting enjoyment /kick out of seeing a person being ripped apart even if it's fake isn't exactly you know... it doesn't sit well with me, but i think it's something people like for one reason or another even i don't think it's good.

Clearly I'm not a fan of slasher movies and such, it doesn't sit well. idk i just think if something like this happen in real life, there would be no way you would be able to think a person getting cut into pieces like that live would be special effect. Like in movies i can see you being able to do that but literally right in front of you idk.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Other then the retarded girl sidekick I'm really enjoying the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
too be fair it seemed the audience wasn't aware that people were actually dieing and thought it was just an act with special effects.

The audience's line of thought is along these lines:
"Even if they're dying, they're criminals anyway."
"Although I'm sure these are special effects."

And the director's line is more like this:
"Bwahaha! This is so obvious no one will figure it out."

Remember Death Note and what Light said about the masses' perspective of his actions?

Oh, there's plenty of them who're grossed out, which is why they showed two differing perspectives on episode 2.

jsc315 wrote:
Other then the retarded girl sidekick I'm really enjoying the show.

Yeah, I'm convinced that you're missing a very important plot point.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm still on episode 1 (maybe I should invest in a CrunchyRoll subscription), but I'm a little torn about whether or not I like the series. It feels like a cross between Now and Then, Here and There and Running Man (or The Hunger Games, if you prefer). All things I really liked (um, referring to the Bachman novel, not the movie version of Running Man), but it isn't quite working for me, and sadly, I know why...

Paku Romi. Sometimes I can deal with her voice, but sometimes it grates, especially when she's just doing her Ed voice. It's going to take awhile for me to getting the jarring disconnect between the voice heard and what's actually on the screen to mesh together. I think part of it might be that Ganta looks so much link Renton Thurston from Eureka 7 that I expect that voice to pop out instead. I should be able to overcome the voice (I generally can), but until I do I'm not going to be able to revel in it like I often can these sort of extreme series.
Skidaruzutall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
I think part of it might be that Ganta looks so much like Renton Thurston from Eureka 7 that I expect that voice to pop out instead.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Everytime I see his face up close or when he's in tears, I'm reminded of Renton.

I haven't read the manga, so I can't compare it to the show, but I'm really enjoying the story so far. I like how they showed a bit of his happy school life and friends before he was sent to prison. We can see and feel the difference alongside him of the changes that have been made of his life and the despair he must feel. I'm eager to see more of Ganta's new powers and also him losing control. I'd also like to see more of the Captain's cruel ways.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
One thing I'm not digging is that sometimes typical anime/manga thing were a protagonist is subjected to ridiculous amounts of cruelty/humiliation. I guess it's a cultural thing, but the Japanese sometimes push this aspect beyond a point that is comfortable for a Western viewer. I'm definitely in that zone with this show. I'm basically liking it, but I wish they'd scale back on that element. We get it. He's on death row. It sucks. Let's not effing drown in the suckation, mmmkay?
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I just saw episode 2 and I'm still not sure if I like this anime or not. A couple of things bother me....

1) Ganta's conviction. Even with the release of the so called "confidential" video tape with Ganta supposedly confessing, how on earth could any jury convict the kid? The room was completely destroyed with the windows and outside wall blown in from the outside, desks and chairs and body parts where everywhere, blood was dripping off of the ceiling and Ganta himself was found unconscious. How could anyone, including the police who initially arrested Ganta, believe a scrawny 14 year old kid could do all that? What weapon could he had possibly used and how could he have hid it?

2) Ganta's "public defender". So, Ganta's seemingly dedicated yet inept public defender is actually the diabolical mastermind behind the entire Deadman Wonderland amusement park and nobody knows this? Yeah, right.

3) Shiro the white haired girl. She wears a skin tight white catsuit with strange red markings and thick leather mittens, she can perform all sorts of acrobatic leaps and maneuvers, intermingles freely with the male prisoners and yet nobody seems to give her a second glance or asks who or what she is? I'll admit I really like her and will probably continue watching the show only to find out about her back story.

In all, Deadman Wonderland takes preposterous situations to the extreme.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
1) Ganta's....

1) Uh its anime. Also, it could've been anything. Like in most anime, video games, comics, stuff of that sort, etc. It doesn't have to make sense. Just need to set up the setting or create an excuse to have all these whacky characters/senseless bloodshed.

2) -

3) It's anime not a Nobel prize winning book lol Again, refer to 1).

Anyway, sounds like your the intellectual type. Well, this is definitely not the anime for you. Also, shouldn't read into things that don't exist. The anime is shallow. It's very straightforward with little to no thinking involved. You take the show as it is.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One thing I'm not digging is that sometimes typical anime/manga thing were a protagonist is subjected to ridiculous amounts of cruelty/humiliation. I guess it's a cultural thing, but the Japanese sometimes push this aspect beyond a point that is comfortable for a Western viewer. I'm definitely in that zone with this show. I'm basically liking it, but I wish they'd scale back on that element. We get it. He's on death row. It sucks. Let's not effing drown in the suckation, mmmkay?

That stuff only lasts for the first part of Deadman Wonderland. Pretty soon (next week, judging by the previews), the story goes down a completely different path.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
@ v1cious - thanks for the head's up. I was going to check out the next episode in any case, but I'm glad to hear they may be scaling back on the "let's totally put our protagonist through the wringer" stuff.
Zork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, sounds like your the intellectual type.

Nobody's ever called me an intellectual before.....you're my new best friend!

Anyway, I 've watched a lot of anime of various genre over the years so I know not to take anime too seriously. Sometimes an anime will actually play to the audience with a hidden *wink-wink* we know it doesn't make sense, but who cares? We are having fun. type of thing. But every once in a while an anime comes along that seems to take itself so seriously that lapses in logic are hard for me to ignore. Deadman Wonderland is like that for me.

Last edited by Zork on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11