• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: MBQ GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
MBQ is definitally a step above most OEL manga on the market and is a fun read, but I was really expecting more, especially after reading the author's rant about the industry. He's got energy, just too much without any focus (reminds me of a hyperactive Paul Pope crossed with Aaron Mcgruder). None of the "edgy" humor is all that funny. His attempt to create a gritty setting fails as well. Good way to burn twenty minutes though and the art is good, so I'll give the second volume a chance.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I was pleased reading it, compared to some other remarkably bland manga that had a good idea but couldn't portray the thought correctly. MBQ is very different from other manga I've read. I like the author's style, although some of the scenes could use more detail, while other scenes are perfectly detailed. The language though, is just a tad over the top, I admit I don't like seeing too much cursing. The guy's got energy, now I just hope it goes the right direction.
Quote:
I saw Filipe Smith at a convention once, getting ready to watch the masquerade. Suddenly, he bolted from his chair and ran out the door, returning a few minutes later with a sheaf of hotel paper and a Sharpie. He started scribbling furiously and exclaimed, “I just had to draw! I was watching this show, and man! I couldn’t help myself! I was just... just dying! I needed to put this shit on paper, man, because I just… ungh!! I gotta draw this!”
That's the spirit!
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to rant about the entire thing, or even much of it, since I haven't acctually bought the manga yet, but I did read a small sample from one of Tokyopop's sampler thingies a while ago. It was like... 3 pages or so, but they really struck me with a highly egotistical tone and such, and seemed too bent on trying to be unique. Ususally, things that are acctually different don't need to say it so loudly and arrogantly. The work will speak for itself. "Unique" is a cleche all in itself.

Again, don't hit me too hard on this. I'm only speaking of a 3 page sample which really hit me. I could very well say later after reading the whole thing that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1