• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Poll Favorite Anime company

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Where's STA? Also, Nelavana's not really an anime company. And why the hell is Fox on there? Oh, and put an e at the end of Miramax.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand why the heck ADV is considered "number one" by most people. Aren't they mostly responsible for saturating the anime market with a bunch of no-name/no-good titles the past couple of years? Not to mention their dub quality is ALWAYS on the bottom of my list. Yes, they are even worse than Blue Water Studios...

"What is anime?" A DVD that always asks you that same question over and over again with a 5.1 track to cover up its bad dubbing, plus commentary from people who like to "have fun" with their roles or talk about their personal lives Rolling Eyes. These aren't Family Guy DVDs, you know...

I voted Geneon for all three, by the way.

EDIT: Added the line about Geneon.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Oh, and put an e at the end of Miramax.

Why?

Quote:
Not to mention their dub quality is ALWAYS on the bottom of my list.

Given the internet is a large, almost chaotic collection of people (re nerds and misfits), there's always going to be people that have different opinions and such.

Not that they're right, of course. WHAT IS ANIME!?
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It's fairly pointless to have three different polls because everyone knows people are going to ignore the actual question and vote for their favourite company anyway. For example quality of the releases: up until just a couple of months ago FUNimation has had broken encoding with macroblocks on pretty much every one of their discs. And their subtitle font is still the shittiest you could possibly find, probably including bootlegs. That's a fact and they're in third place way ahead of Bandai anyway.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Pyoko wrote:
It's fairly pointless to have three different polls because everyone knows people are going to ignore the actual question and vote for their favourite company anyway.

Last time we asked the same 3 questions a lot of people answered differently.

The rankings were in fact the same through all three polls, but if you compare the percentages in each, you'll see some difference.

In the end though, I suspect you're right that most people just answer all three questions without much thought, but at least some people put some thought into the different questions.

-t
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Of course ADV is far a head of pack, even this early in the poll.

ADV for quality, Viz for licensor, and AnimEigo for overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Who was the boob who voted for Nelvina?
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I personally find it somewhat difficult to answer these questions simply because I don't keep up with new releases. I had to base my votes on the few titles released this year that I did buy. And since ADV released Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, they took two out of three of my votes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
I can't see why Bandai isn't the leader. It certainly beats out ADV (and most of the others) in overall quality of its licenses. ADV licenses anything it can get its hands on, which is quite often terrible. Bandai has the better titles by far, employs the better dub studios, and has products that are (usually) of higher quality.

Bandai titles make up the majority of my anime collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I can't see why Bandai isn't the leader. It certainly beats out ADV (and most of the others) in overall quality of its licenses. ADV licenses anything it can get its hands on, which is quite often terrible. Bandai has the better titles by far, employs the better dub studios, and has products that are (usually) of higher quality.

Bandai titles make up the majority of my anime collection.

Why isn't Bandai the leader? Because not everyone shares your opinion. The poll is based on opinion. You'll find that opinion is almost entirely subjective. If you don't understand this, then I guess you'll never see why Bandai isn't the leader.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Why isn't Bandai the leader? Because not everyone shares your opinion. The poll is based on opinion. You'll find that opinion is almost entirely subjective. If you don't understand this, then I guess you'll never see why Bandai isn't the leader.

Don't talk down to me, I understand this poll perfectly. Opinions still have to be based on something, however, and I was merely describing how the quality of Bandai's products exceeds the others'. Of course it's my opinion. This is an opinion poll. It goes without saying. Or at least, it should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Granted, ADV has put out some crap titles this year, but they've also put out an awful lot of really good ones, too. (And how can you hold much against a company that's bringing out faithful dubs of Gatchaman and SDF Macross for the first time ever?) For me that more than balances out the crap titles. They also typically provide good sets of extras, are on the cutting edge on audio quality prodcution, and are at least average industry-wide on dub quality. Excepting Ghost Stories, their dub scripts are, on average, more accurate than most (especially FUNimation, which consistently believes in giving a lot of leeway on rewording things).

Bandai has been no more or less consistent than anyone else on providing extras and quality. While they've had a few major titles this year (Planetes, Scrapped Princess, Gundam Seed, and GITS:SAC), they've also had some crap ones (Avengers, anyone?) and they're running no better than third or fourth on releases; ADV and Geneon are definitely ahead of them and FUNimation and AnimeWorks are close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Another factor that helps ADV: They're also one of the best marketers in the industry. Yes, they took a lot of heat pertaining to the Ghost Stories dub, but the mere fact that fans were actually discussing the title because of the dub I felt was a great marketing strategy for ADV. Do anyone here at ANN believe that Ghost Stories would get so much recognition in the market had ADV used conventional means of dubbing instead of what Steven Foster did? Also, they're constantly present in conventions (both major and minor cons), so they're always talking to the fans and sharing interests with others. I hardly see any of the Geneon-based voice actors making convention appearances. Convention presence is also a great marketing strategy for a company, and ADV does it better than anyone else in the industry.

As far as the polls go, I'm not surprised that ADV and Geneon are 1-2 in all three categories. I always felt that they are the best two anime licensers in the industry. Geneon might not have the most titles, but they know how to choose some of the best ones (like Koi Kaze, Petite Cossette, and Gankutsuou), but like ADV, they also have their fair share of crap (can you say Ikki Tousen?). FUNi is poised to have a big 2006 with all the major titles that acquired this season (most especially the three Gonzo titles), but I think that Bandai is still ahead of Media Blasters/Anime Works in terms of quality. After all, Bandai has Planetes and Ghost in the Shell, and the Gundam dynasty is still as strong as ever. Genshiken is a nice title, but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to Planetes.
Alter User Kazuma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters easily takes the vote for all three for me... In terms of shows they license, sure, they pick up a lot of crap, but the true gems like Twelve Kingdoms, Otogi Zoshi, and Berserk more than make up for it to me. None of their dubs I've listened to thus far (of course, this could just be because I've only picked up quality shows...) have felt the slightest bit inappropriate at all to me. Cover art is generally well-done, and extras are worthwhile. Especially with seperate disks for extras in Otogi Zoshi and the funny outtakes they make with their actors.

Geneon does come in a close second for me, though.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Gah! The selection is very divided. I thought there were going to be companies for ADR studios etc.
The thing is... I really wanted to vote Bandai Ent. but all of my votes went for Geneon Entertainment.

For dubs, I am totally biased for Californian studios like Animaze and esp. Bang Zoom!. I weighed out the amount of titles which Bandai used those studios to Geneon, and Geneon held the greater number.
And when it came to DVD authoring, features, extras etc. I liked Bandai more, but I own few Bandai titles myself (I have more Geneon than Bandai). But Geneon yet again won this because they have more titles which used CA dub studios.

Yet again, for the second (middle) poll; licensing and releases. I voted for Geneon again. Mainly because most of the titles I see from them are good, and I own more of Geneon DVDs. Most of their titles are those which I like.
Even though I've more ADV Films' DVDs, I still like Geneon better.

For the last (top) poll; quality, titles and service, I haven't much to think about. It is quite similar to the middle poll. I went for Geneon again.

One of the main reasons why I like Bandai so much, is because of Onegai Teacher. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I think I've changed my mind, switched vote: dubbing quality, authoring, features, extras, etc. to Bandai Entertainment. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2