• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Director Osamu Dezaki Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
...and smoking takes another life. His profile picture even has him smoking a cigarette. Ugh.

He worked on some classic stuff. His name stuck in my mind after watching the numerous Lupin specials he directed, as well as his Tezuka-based works and Joe :\

Rest in peace, man.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Being Japanese, he probably would have lived to 105 if he didn't smoke....
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and smoking takes another life. His profile picture even has him smoking a cigarette. Ugh.

He worked on some classic stuff. His name stuck in my mind after watching the numerous Lupin specials he directed, as well as his Tezuka-based works and Joe :\

Rest in peace, man.

Yes..... rest in peace Mr. Dezaki. You've done a great service. Lung cancer huh? "sigh"
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
They forgot one of my favorite anime movies Golgo 13: The Professional.

And they forgot his trademark Postcard Memories look.

Still RIP Osamu Dezaki
alexcampos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Lesson learned.....Don't Smoke!!! Sad
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
May he rest in peace.

I imagine a fair amount of people will remember Osamu Dezaki's name because of his work on the anime adaptations for Rose of Versailles, Ashita no Joe or even Space Adventure Cobra, among other notable productions, but on a purely personal level I'll always associate him with the adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island he directed. That was one of the first anime I ever saw and, without even knowing he was involved at the time, it certainly had a lasting influence on me .
MBKeaton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
RIP to an all-time great director. His work declined in recent years, but his signature style has left its mark.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

He did way more then that. Dezaki had a lot of background on anime, and he did several US-Japanese coproductions, I believe some people who have knowledge of cartoon shown in US would know these:

Bionic Six: Osamu Dezaki was chief director for this cartoon (soon to be reclassify as anime), this animation was a Japan-US coproductions. Also I like to note that Bionic Six has a similar plot to Cyborg 009.

The Mighty Orbots: Osamu Dezaki also directed this show. This was another US-Japanese coproductions that he was involved with.

To show respect for him, please watch Remi: Nobody's Boy on ANN (since he also directed that anime). I need to finish watching that anime, I stop somewhere at episode 10 or 11 (I forgot).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Another tragic loss.
R.I.P.
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
He did way more then that.

Of course he did... I was only stating what works I had seen that made an impression on me.

I've already had Remi on my list to watch since ANN folks were raving about it when they acquired it. I simply have not gotten to it yet.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
i don't know what else to say... i really don't' black jack is one of my all time favorites... ..sob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
It's inevitable, but all of the great anime directors are starting to pass on. First was one of the Space Battleship Yamato creators, and now Dezaki. I'm surprised Leiji Matsumoto is still around.

RIP Dezaki. The world of anime owes him a great deal.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
god this sucks, I love Dezaki's work, I first was exposed to him through the 90s Black Jack OVAs, and soon after fallowed more of his work, I love every show listed on this blurb, he was one of anime's greats, and one of my favorite directors... He will be surly missed, once again off to my sobing corner in a bucket of ice cream
Tratious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Osamu Dezaki is also one of the co-founders of Madhouse.

that sucks I haven't seen alot of his work since I'm still new to anime honestly, but RIP and my condolences to his family.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
That's really sad. Sad May he rest in peace and I hope that he knows that his works are definitely parts of his legacies that he left behind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4