• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-06]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. ADV famously rejected the Evangelion movies because of Gainax's astronomical licensing fee;

True, but that was when the franchise was still popular. Of course, they're still charging an insane amount of cash for Macross 7, so who knows...?

Quote:
If anyone does the films, it'll probably be Manga, but again, I wouldn't hold out much hope, given that they'd likely have to pay again for the Platinum versio

If Manga's losing titles like Giant Robo and Patlabor, Evangelion can't be far behind.

Oh, and the winning caption was great.Although I liked the Jackson one too.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks Mr Answerman for the inspiration! Now that I know what to avoid my next script shall feature:

* Vampires who are also hot girls
* Angels who are also hot hermaphrodites
* Werewolves who are also hot dogs
* Devils who are hot and have to cope with life in the real world while also being a devil
* Semi-autobiographical chants featuring "edgy" Gregorian monks
* References to films by Jim Burton or Tim Henson
* A heroine with burning passion and elemental magic who has to collect 283 magical stones
* A hapless inexperienced nerd whose inexplicably well-endowed male entourage wants to sleep with her
* "Serious drama" that breathes fresh life into common fantasy/horror/action/sci-fi/romance cliches

I thought about throwing in a cute kitten too but animals have a distressing tendency to steal all the attention.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Concerning Zac's comments about ADV's new version of Macross:

I would also add that the sound quality on the new English dub is far superior to anything that could have come before. It's a full-blown 5.1 retrofit which sounds better than 90% of current titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Alright, I got most of Zac's complaints but one is bothering me.

Quote:
* References to any film by Tim Burton or Jim Henson

I even understand Tim Burton, but JIM HENSON?! I'm frightened to ask, but what bizarre manga am I missing?
GTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
I think the flake letter was delightfully ironic, considering most of japan is buddhist (sic?). Its something akin to getting hit by a Dodge, funny and ironic.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
GTC wrote:
I think the flake letter was delightfully ironic, considering most of japan is buddhist (sic?). Its something akin to getting hit by a Dodge, funny and ironic.

Doubly so, since Christmas isn't Jesus's real birthday, anyway.

Christmas was the Catholic church's answer to a pagan festival that involved man-man sex.

I like Christmas, but you have to know your roots. :D

[tries to think of something to win the Azumanga Daoih boxset]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
GTC wrote:

Doubly so, since Christmas isn't Jesus's real birthday, anyway.

Christmas was the Catholic church's answer to a pagan festival that involved man-man sex.

I like Christmas, but you have to know your roots. Very Happy

*Agrees* People really shouldn't talk about things they don't know.

And oh my god!! The caption!! It was pretty much worth waiting for. I also liked the one about the kong remake Anime hyper
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
by all logic Jesus couldn't even have been born in december... but i'm not even gonna get into all that.

not to mention december 25 is a pagan holiday.
astromog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, there are the witty one-liners I was missing in the airport while dreaming about having a real christmas dinner the next year and wondering what menorahs were!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:
I even understand Tim Burton, but JIM HENSON?! I'm frightened to ask, but what bizarre manga am I missing?

Tokyopop is planning an OEL manga adaptation of The Dark Crystal.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am looking into submitting something to an American manga publisher, but my problem is that I absolutely cannot draw to save my life. For some companies, I've seen that I can simply send in some written work. Do you know what the process would be after that, if they find that my work is worthy of publishing?

You can do what Jason DeAngelis from Seven Seas did. Start your own manga company, hire a bunch of manga-inspired artist to draw all your stories/ideas and self-publish your own titles.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
by all logic Jesus couldn't even have been born in december... but i'm not even gonna get into all that.

not to mention december 25 is a pagan holiday.

To be fair, though, nearly all church organizations say that December 25th is when they CELEBRATE Jesus' birth, NOT the day of his birth. Like how they celebrate both Lincoln and Washington's birthdays on President's Day. Most churches readily acknowledge these days that there's no way of knowing what day Jesus was actually born, but December 25th is the day that's set aside to commemerate it.

People who get all huffy and angry and insist that Christmas is Jesus' birthday generally have no idea what they're talking about and know about as much about Christianity as your average gym sock does.

But yeah, complaining about the phrase "Happy Holidays" is insane. Lest we forget that Jesus himself would have celebrated Channakah...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
Bible? wrote:
And lo, for he who ignoreth proper capitalization and punctuation shall not know His love

I'm just wondering. I don't read the Bible or anything. Is this actually a real quote from the Bible or is it just me being stupid and believing one of Zac's sarcastic, obviously fake comments?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Bible? wrote:
And lo, for he who ignoreth proper capitalization and punctuation shall not know His love

I'm just wondering. I don't read the Bible or anything. Is this actually a real quote from the Bible or is it just me being stupid and believing one of Zac's sarcastic, obviously fake comments?

the worst part is you had to ask
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:53 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

To be fair, though, nearly all church organizations say that December 25th is when they CELEBRATE Jesus' birth, NOT the day of his birth.
You know, I had this really kickass line I was going to use. It was from the History channel or TLC, one of those kinds of channels, but I freaking forgot it! I can't believe my stupid self forgot it. It was absolutely hilarious the way they put it.

I'll have to add a bit for my forgetfulness. The History Channel tells me that the Romans used to:
History Channel on Christmas wrote:

In addition, members of the upper classes often celebrated the birthday of Mithra, the god of the unconquerable sun, on December 25. It was believed that Mithra, an infant god, was born of a rock. For some Romans, Mithra's birthday was the most sacred day of the year.

v1cious wrote:

the worst part is you had to ask

Now I don't know. My Bible doesn't have a Leviticus 12:39, (mine only goes as high as 12:8) but I have the uber-super-condensed-highlights version. Laughing

Perhaps Zac's is a different version? Wink
Please take note.. I have several regular Bibles.. NIV KJ, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4