• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
POLL: When should production of fansubs cease?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems that the two prevalent answers (when it's licensed and when it's over) represent the two prevalent pro-fansub opinions. It will be interesting to see which one is more popular.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
There's no answer for "anime shouldn't be fansubbed at all."
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

And if you read the front page, it says there isn't an option for it but it will be covered in another poll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Personally I feel fansubs should mostly just be used as demos/to sort out all the crap (because there's a lot), and when no other reasonable options are available. For that purpose "stop when it's licensed" is usually enough, though in case of pre-licenses I think it's OK (and probably even favourable for the companies) to let the groups do a couple of episodes.

Nothing disgusts me more than people who say "XYZ is the bestest thing ev4r made" and then refuse to buy it even when perfectly fine DVDs are finally available. No one's expecting you to buy everything you've ever watched on fansub, but at least buy your favourites dammit! Mad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
JETBLACK87 wrote:

And if you read the front page, it says there isn't an option for it but it will be covered in another poll.
Which is why I've abstained from voting in this one. Wink
bebop26

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
When ever a company has officially announced that they accquired the license to an anime, and show at least 2 episodes on television, then fansubs should stop.

Though, I voted "As soon as the first volume is released". Cool
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I find it very disheartening that a majority of responses represent different excuses for getting licensed material for free. The "entitlement mentality" really has taken hold.

------RM
bluechibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well from one source, a recent Naruto episode was downloaded over 276,000 times, yet isnt it on TV and available on DVD soon? For a small minority fansubs are about sampling an anime series but I guess for over 1/4 of a million it's about getting something for nothing.
Puppy Puncher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
bebop26 wrote:
When ever a company has officially announced that they accquired the license to an anime, and show at least 2 episodes on television, then fansubs should stop.

Though, I voted "As soon as the first volume is released". Cool

Exactly, how do you think someone would feel if their favorite anime was licensed by 4kids or is poorly dubbed and all the fansubbings were gone. (Luckily though it hasn't happened yet. Rolling Eyes )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1