• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Oshii Interview on BBC Four

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Why is it always "invasion"?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I just seen his first promo on BBC2 and he makes no mention about anime and only shows live action teases, I see the BBC blog has it listed so my Sky+ box is going to be steaming With Rapture TV, Film4, and now BBC4. Sorry luv. Corrie, and Emmerdale have got no chance. Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Someone NEEDS to post video feed of this for those who don't live in Britan (or don't have BBC America because they chose faster internet over digital cable). Miyazaki + Oshii + TAKESHI!!!!! = good TV.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

People are threatened by things they don't know, and they want to hide and be protected from new ideas, but new ideas keep coming, so they feel invaded.

Probably just a dramatic buzzword that will drum up interest. I remember the articles about the Pokemon Invasion, where parents would say, "Hey, I've heard of that word, and we're being 'invaded'? I better read this article and find out what it is."
fansubs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
Hmm.. this show clashes with return of the O.C on E4 but if i record it with sky+ i will get a double recording (you sky+ pepole know what that is) so its my love for anime or the O.C...O.C wins!!

by the way a lot of new shows debut on that tuesday but dont worry this invasion show is on at 12:55 anyway

this just shows how much my love for anime has fallen over the years Sad
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
I can't beleive how lucky I am. I'm going to be in London 'til the 15th. Not gonna miss this.

Quote:
I just seen his first promo on BBC2 and he makes no mention about anime and only shows live action teases

Same. But even if no anime is shown at least they'll have the Oshii interview. Also Kung Fu Hustle apparently. Anime hyper
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, people liked the British Invasion of the 1960s. But I think the word was chosen for no sinister connotation, but merely because it forms a clever rhyme with the word "Asian." It's the sort of crisp and understated wit we Americans could only hope to display.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

People are threatened by things they don't know, and they want to hide and be protected from new ideas, but new ideas keep coming, so they feel invaded.

Probably just a dramatic buzzword that will drum up interest. I remember the articles about the Pokemon Invasion, where parents would say, "Hey, I've heard of that word, and we're being 'invaded'? I better read this article and find out what it is."
God knows we need some sort of invasion to stop the continuation of these idiotic reality TV shows. They've just filled the Big Brother house with the latest dust bin load of "celebrity" has-beens, slags, and toss-pots. for yet another series of dirty knicker gazing, bad eating habits, and falatious excretions, now also to be flavoured with the political excrement of our very own George Galloway MP for London Tower Hamlets, and former good buddy to Saddan Hussain before he lost the plot, or was that after? Rolling Eyes
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

In this case, it's because it rhymes. Also, think "British Invasion", and you'll get the intent.
ellie_c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I just seen his first promo on BBC2 and he makes no mention about anime and only shows live action teases, I see the BBC blog has it listed so my Sky+ box is going to be steaming With Rapture TV, Film4, and now BBC4. Sorry luv. Corrie, and Emmerdale have got no chance. Wink

In his article for the Guardian, I'm sure he talked about Steamboy and Ghost in the Shell, and the BBC website says it's going to feature these anime:

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Akira
Steamboy

Although there might be a few more that I've mistaken for live-action, so... Anyway. Yeah. Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ellie_c wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

In his article for the Guardian, I'm sure he talked about Steamboy and Ghost in the Shell, and the BBC website says it's going to feature these anime:

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Akira
Steamboy

Although there might be a few more that I've mistaken for live-action, so... Anyway. Yeah. Very Happy
Him talking about it, and actually showing even one movie, are two entirely different things. He might just show clips but not a whole movie, other wise I'm sure he would have had it in his promo. According to this info there will be no anime movie shown.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
Just watched it last night. It was pretty cool. He interviewed Miyazaki and Oshii, and showed clips from GITS 1 and 2, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Steamboy and Akira. The show focused more on live-action cinema though, with the last half being devoted to animation.

One great quote came out of the Miyazaki interview. Something along the lines of:
Ross: You've been referred to as the "Japanese Disney". What do you have to say about that?
Miyazaki: Hmmm...Disney was a producer. I direct!
*both laugh*
Miyazaki: "My producer is over there." *points*
Ross: "Ahh, so that's the Japanese Disney."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
That interview was actually an old one he did a few years ago when he did a programme called "Japanorama". They inserted it in with and updated addition mentioning Miyazaki's latest movie "Howl's Moving Castle". I remember it because of the apparent annoyed reaction Miyazaki gave Ross after he had asked him the question "So why is it that most of your main leading characters are young girls?". Nice one Ross! Rolling Eyes
In his conclusion he states that there seems to be a definant lack of any new director talant there that are dazzling the screens with their brilliance and that for the Japanese "old is the new new" In other words keep looking to the older established names to produce, and direct, the goods for a while longer. After seeing that clip of the live action programme about the life of a WWE style wrestling squid I have to agree.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
After seeing that clip of the live action programme about the life of a WWE style wrestling squid I have to agree.

Oh my God that stuff was gold. I have to find that movie and watch the whole thing. Only in Japan...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1