• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Press Release Regarding ANN Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Way to blow your own trumpet, ADV.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
After all, I said "went so far", meaning that they've since changed it. It used to say just, "For the first time, anime fans can enjoy Macross as it was originally presented to Japanese TV audiences more than 20 years ago." which is not accurate and gives ADV total credit for bringing non-Robotech Macross to the public. Without those four little words it's pretty much a baldfaced lie. If you don't believe me, I did save an image of it unaltered.

Let's see it.

I do not get why anime fans are so harsh on anime companies for doing the same marketing techniques every other company on the planet uses. They won the poll, they put out a press release. Miramax wins an Oscar, they put out a press release.

Some of you folks are way, way too wound up about this. It's standard marketing procedure.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
It's obvious that manga isn't ADV's main focus. Companies like Viz and Tokyopop are much more prolific English manga producing companies than ADV will probably ever be. It's also worth noting that this is the second consecutive year that ANN has run this poll and the second consecutive year that ADV has taken the top spot in all three categories.

I believe all that proves is that ANN is a breeding ground for ADV fanboys. If this had been done on PlanetNamek.com (if it still existed) than Funi probably would have gotten the title. Or on MAHQ.net, Bandai probably would have won.

This poll proves nothing except that a big company will have a big following. And that if this were a poll with a written answer requirement that the results would be more believable. Please ANN don't be so arrogant as to think that you are the voice of all otaku as that would be cause for me never coming back to this site. Stay objective and give a REASON why ADV won as aposed to what could be a fixed poll in the first place.

(Just in case anyone thinks I hate ADV, I don't. I have met most of ADV's head honcho's including Matt Greenfield himself at one point or another). This poll is one gigantic advertisement for ADV and it sickens me that my favorite medium is being fought over like a piece of steak by dogs. At least ADV has the redeeming ability to respect the original material. I will give them that. No hack jobs like other companies seem to think is okay as long as it makes them money and pleases more conservative people that don't buy DVD's anywere but Walmart anyway.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
This poll proves nothing except that a big company will have a big following. And that if this were a poll with a written answer requirement that the results would be more believable. Please ANN don't be so arrogant as to think that you are the voice of all otaku as that would be cause for me never coming back to this site. Stay objective and give a REASON why ADV won as aposed to what could be a fixed poll in the first place.

Ok, so explain to me how this poll was fixed. When I voted for ADV, I did it of my own accord. As I'm sure everyone else did too. I looked at all my purchases in 05, and there were more favorites from ADV. Funi was a close second.

As for the REASON why ADV won? More people,like me, clicked on ADV. Plain and simple.

If ADV wants to pat themselves on the back, more power to 'em. In my opinion, they deserve it.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Let's see it.

I do not get why anime fans are so harsh on anime companies for doing the same marketing techniques every other company on the planet uses. They won the poll, they put out a press release. Miramax wins an Oscar, they put out a press release.

Some of you folks are way, way too wound up about this. It's standard marketing procedure.

Here it is, o yee of little faith. If they had written me back on it, I'd post that too. I wrote their Web devision, not Customer Service, so I'm not surprised that i didn't get an answer. Though it might have gotten lost in the junk box.

And I do agree with you. It's basic marketing strategy. Though i do think equating winning an internet poll to winning an Oscar to be a bit of a strech. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
WE HAVE CREDIBILITY!111101010

*Ahem*

Well, this is always a good thing, seeing a company recongize who buys their products.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

Here it is, o yee of little faith. If they had written me back on it, I'd post that too. I wrote their Web devision, not Customer Service, so I'm not surprised that i didn't get an answer. Though it might have gotten lost in the junk box.

And I do agree with you. It's basic marketing strategy. Though i do think equating winning an internet poll to winning an Oscar to be a bit of a strech. Wink

It isn't so much "little faith" but are you really surprised that I asked someone on an internet message forum to back up their claims? Really?

I didn't equate them, I just said it was a similar strategy. Company achieves something = puts out press release.

Sahpiro01 wrote:

A bunch of tinfoil hat nonsense

Hang on let me see if I can find a rolleyes big enough for this post

Wait no, sorry, there isn't one
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It isn't so much "little faith" but are you really surprised that I asked someone on an internet message forum to back up their claims? Really?

No, just seemed like something to say. Not everybody on the internet stoops to such levels. I'm just glad I had the foresight to push the Printscreen button.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3