• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abominable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
I have to be honest, I'm reading the manga, but I see FullmetalAlchemist Brotherhood and till I know is 100% like the manga, so I prefer the mana history cause is more fun and have more action ^^
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

I'm not familiar with it but If I watched/read then I would support the original source version first.

You are free to do it, I provided Utena as an example of a show where the adaptation is better than the original source.

And I'm calling bulls*** on that claim.

[Mod Edit: This doesn't really add to the discussion and is really just trolling. If you want claim someones statement is wrong then provide some information or background on why. Just saying the equivalent of "nuh uh" does nothing to further the discussion, particularly when stated in such a manner as this. - Keonyn]
krelyan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

I'm not familiar with it but If I watched/read then I would support the original source version first.

You are free to do it, I provided Utena as an example of a show where the adaptation is better than the original source.

It's a good thing you're able to objectively call bulls*** and tell us that something you've never read is better than something you've never seen. I suppose The Wizard of Oz, one of the most famous movies of all time, is tripe since it's a remake and an adaptation of a novel. That's like a double whammy!

Any other blanket statements you care to throw out?
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Does this series get better after the 1st box set? I bought both box sets part 1 and part 2 but haven't watched part 2 yet. So does Brotherhood get better or stay the same?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:
Does this series get better after the 1st box set? I bought both box sets part 1 and part 2 but haven't watched part 2 yet. So does Brotherhood get better or stay the same?

It definitely gets better and better as the series progresses, so dont get discouraged. I'd say the real fun begins around ep. 17 and up.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

It's a good thing you're able to objectively call bulls*** and tell us that something you've never read is better than something you've never seen. I suppose The Wizard of Oz, one of the most famous movies of all time, is tripe since it's a remake and an adaptation of a novel. That's like a double whammy!

Any other blanket statements you care to throw out?

Every single original source be it manga, visual novel, book, video game, etc, has always been better than their counterpart. Why should I assume that that series would be any different?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

Every single original source be it manga, visual novel, book, video game, etc, has always been better than their counterpart. Why should I assume that that series would be any different?

I thought I might join in... Not EVERY single source is better than the counterpart (although it is in most cases)- I have seen mediocre stuff being remade into something really good. The fact you have not seen anything like that does not mean it never happened. And if your stace is "I dont believe in it because it's not true because it cant be because I know it is not possible", there is no point in giving you any examples, although I can personally think of a few. Since you really have nothing interesting to say, we might as well drop this point.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
So what is better the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood the manga remake
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:
So what is better the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood the manga remake

It depends. Personally, I prefer the first Fullmetal Alchemist, there are some not-so-good-ideas, but it has atmosphere, angsty atmosphere, but at least it exists. I have seen several episodes of Brotherhood and never in my life have I seen any other show that so successfully kills its own atmosphere with unfunny gags. Brotherhood is significantly hurt by the fact that it tries to be drama and comedy and fails miserably at both. This completely ruins my enjoyment; I’m more inclined to forgive plot-holes. Of course, this may not be a problem for you.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

I'm not an original-purist at all, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I've found many a fanfiction that I've preferred to the original work (and if one were to look at my ff.net profile, he/she would find that I'm an avid reader of fanfiction). I prefer Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical of Phantom of the Opera to Leroux's novel. I'll take the Lord of the Ring movies over the novels any day (I had to strap myself to the chair to finish those nasty buggers). And I'll always prefer the anime of Rose of Versailles to the manga.

Now, I can also provide examples of sources I've preferred to their counterparts. Nothing can trump the greatness that is the anime of Princess Tutu or the manga of Chrono Crusade. The manga of Please Save My Earth, Basara, and 3x3 Eyes outshine their anime counterparts mainly for the fact that the anime only selects snippets from the whole scope of the epic greatness that are the originals.

And then there are adaptations that are on par, or at least approximately equal, to the original. FMA falls in that category. Although, I personally prefer the original anime to the manga/Brotherhood for the atmosphere and themes delivered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
to those using cos counts as part of fma1, then you would have to count both oav's(both good so no biggie) and the forth coming fma movie(a big unknown) as part of fma2
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai's clearly trolling manga purists, no idea why so many of you guys are being caught hook line and sinker so easily.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
SgtMustang wrote:
to those using cos counts as part of fma1, then you would have to count both oav's(both good so no biggie) and the forth coming fma movie(a big unknown) as part of fma2

Theirs actually 4 OVAs the other 2 are Tales of the Master, and one that's largely original material about how Roy and Hughes helped an Ishvalan recruit and spoiler[are forced to kill him in self defense during the Ishvalan Massacre] though it also has the scene from a manga add on of Hughes yelling at Mustang in the tent.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Drunk_Samurai's clearly trolling manga purists, no idea why so many of you guys are being caught hook line and sinker so easily.

Actually no I'm not.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
SgtMustang wrote:

Actually you are wrong about that last part. No information has been given about the movie except it doesn't seem to be associated with Brotherhood. The director of Brotherhood is not involved and he says he has no information about the movie. Also I believe when the announcement for the new movie came out the Brotherhood subtitle was not included. So this new movie seems to be something separate.

As for what I feel is better well I definitely prefer the manga to the first series. Not because it is the original story but because I just like it a lot more in every way. And yes I don't like specific changes the first anime made to certain characters. Not because the changes are different from the manga just because I don't like those particular changes. If that makes me a manga purist so be it.

I also prefer the manga to Brotherhood but I do prefer Brotherhood overall to the first anime (although both anime series have their strengths & weaknesses separate from how I feel about the manga).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17